Mongolian spots

Forum: Interracial Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Interracial Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Hi mommas! My name is Stef, DS is Lincoln and is 10 months old. I'm 1/4 Vietnamese and the rest Caucasian and DH is Caucasian. Much to our surprise, Linc was born with Mongolian spots that cover both of his butt cheeks and then he has some small marks on his back. We were surprised because no one in my family, which is the multiracial side, has them. Anyway, I was wondering if there were any others out there who had little ones with Mongolian spots? Also does anyone know if all of our future children will have mongolian spots since our first child does?
February 18th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Perfectly~Flawed's Avatar ♥ Proud Potterhead! ♥
Send a message via AIM to Perfectly~Flawed Send a message via Yahoo to Perfectly~Flawed
Lynda does not have any mongolian spots so I don't have much to say on the subject.
I do believe that having one child with m.spots increases the chances for the likely hood of other children to.

Its nothing to worry bout though, just in the birthmark category I believe.

February 21st, 2010, 11:14 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
My daughter has Mongolian spots on her lower back and my son does not have them.. My daughter's spots are slowly fading away though..

I believe the spots come from the Asian side of my family..

February 23rd, 2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the replies! I'm not worried about DS having Mongolian spots I was surprised though since no one on my side of the family has them and that is where the Asian comes from. I am hoping that his butt cheeks do lighten up as he gets older because right now both of them are entirely blue. He also has a couple of darker spots on one cheek and on hid lower back that may not ever disappear completely. But I do think it is interesting how the genes mix so that one child may have them but another will not.
February 25th, 2010, 03:59 PM
My husband had spots as a child...he's 1/2 Korean. 80% of Asian children have them, so a child with any Asian heritage has a much higher chance of having them...kind of luck I guess!

I will advise you this though...make sure his spots are well documented by your pediatrician. Its rather common for parents of children with spots to be accused of child abuse. My MIL made sure the schools had doctor's paperwork documenting them, and a teacher STILL accused her of abuse, until she said, "Uh...the school already KNOWS about those."
February 25th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3atthisvolume View Post

I will advise you this though...make sure his spots are well documented by your pediatrician. Its rather common for parents of children with spots to be accused of child abuse. ."
Thanks for bringing this up, I forgot to mention this.. If your child goes to daycare, make sure they are aware of it.. Where I live, the population is 99% Caucasian. At the daycare my kids go to, they called CPS on a little Asian baby because she had Mangolian spots on her arms and back.. They ended up going to the Pediatrician and the doctor said it was Mongolian spots and not bruises..

February 25th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Good advice ladies, thank you! Especially for Linc since his butt is blue people might see it and think that it is all bruised. One of my friends actually made that comment when I was changing his diaper one day. She said it looks like we spank our baby! That also is an interesting fact about 80% of Asian babies having spots, I never knew that. The attending pediatrician who first examined Linc was Chinese and he acted surprised that Linc had them, but maybe he didn't know my background. I don't look very Asian. Just in the eyes and the darker features. I get mistaken for being Mexican or native American a lot.
March 17th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Meggie26's Avatar Megan
Send a message via MSN to Meggie26
My daughter has them all over her butt and all the way up her spine. I had no idea what it was at first and when I took her into her 3 day old check up I asked her pediatrician about it because I was afraid of them accusing me of child abuse. Well, her color hadn't come in yet and she was jaundiced so the pediatrician asked "Is the father African American or Hispanic?" and I said yes then he went on to explain to me what the Mongolian spots are. I was really relieved! Hers do not seem to be fading away at all.

March 18th, 2010, 03:09 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
My daughter has them. They're on her upper butt and lower back. They've faded a lot since she was born though and I've never been concerned.. When I had her I asked a nurse what it was cause I had no idea.. she told me that with interracial babies they sometimes appear.
February 12th, 2011, 05:15 PM
sharita's Avatar Veteran
I am half white half native american. DH is Black. Our son is a nice coffee and cream color and has several dark brown birthmarks (back of arms, side of stomach, but also has a nice sized mongolian spot right above the tailbone that is bluish black. It looks like a fading bruise since it isnt very dark.
I never thought before that with the location, it could be mistaken as bruising. Wow, definately something to inform any new babysitters about ahead of time and such. Thanks for bringing this up.
February 20th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Happy Mommy
L had them as an infant. they were blue blue blue, her doc noted them in her chart once we saw them definate appear (her 2 week check) no issues. I just made sure to talk about them with everyone.

she is now 8 and you can hardly notice them

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search