I don't know how to do black baby hair?

Forum: Interracial Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Interracial Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2010, 03:05 AM
asherzbaby's Avatar Regular
I'm pregnant with my first; I'm white and the father is black.

My whole family is white so I have no idea how to do anything with black hair, let alone black baby hair.

So I need LOTS of tips! Help please!

February 23rd, 2010, 06:19 AM
SSgt_Wifey_USMC
Bump

Last edited by SSgt_Wifey_USMC; February 24th, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
February 23rd, 2010, 10:41 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
It would depend more on the texture of your childs hair. I have eight black/white biracial children and they all have different textures/types of hair from very fine and straight to coarse and curly. There is no one way to take care of all their hair because it is all different.
You'll just have to wait and see what type of hair your child will have then go from there.
amberbanegas likes this.
#12 is on the way
February 23rd, 2010, 10:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
^^^I was going to say the same thing, black hair comes in many textures. Also, there are hair boards that you can go to if you need help. If you're interested, I can post some.

February 23rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
Perfectly~Flawed's Avatar ♥ Proud Potterhead! ♥
Send a message via AIM to Perfectly~Flawed Send a message via Yahoo to Perfectly~Flawed
Honestly your little one may not come out with "black" hair so, its just a waiting ga,e

February 23rd, 2010, 07:46 PM
ShelliBelli's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^I was going to say the same thing. Dont assume because your childs father is black that your child will be "black" Im white and my sons father is black and my baby has blonde hair and is the same texture as mine, the only difference is his is curly.
February 23rd, 2010, 09:59 PM
asherzbaby's Avatar Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy710 View Post
^^^I was going to say the same thing, black hair comes in many textures. Also, there are hair boards that you can go to if you need help. If you're interested, I can post some.
Please=]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelliBelli View Post
^^I was going to say the same thing. Dont assume because your childs father is black that your child will be "black" Im white and my sons father is black and my baby has blonde hair and is the same texture as mine, the only difference is his is curly.
Oh wow, I didn't know that was possible! Lol

But to be honest, I want my baby to look more black than white! Lol.

February 26th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
^^^^

Welcome to NaturallyCurly.com!
Long Hair Care Forums
Nappturality.com | Black African American Natural Hair Resource

February 27th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Cali_Mommy's Avatar Super Mommy
And you won't even know right away when they're born. My oldest son is black/white and he had ringlets as a baby/toddler, but now it's as straight as mine. My little girl still doesn't have any hair so I'm still waiting to see what it will be like.

March 6th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Lady Jess's Avatar Tokyo gal
Quote:
Originally Posted by asherzbaby View Post
Please=]

But to be honest, I want my baby to look more black than white! Lol.
lol why?

This sounds racist, but it's better the baby looks whiter. They can pass, and have more opportunities in America. Blacks are racial profiled everyday, and other things you dont know about since you aren't black and havent experienced it. So why would you want to subject them to that? lol

Im black, my kid is half asian. Hopefully looking more asian. Living in a country full of oppression is not all that cool. No it doesnt happen to everyone, but it does happen. And that's my view. Sorry if Im offending anyone.

And I didnt marry a Asian just because I didnt want black kids. Not the case at all. And I'm not dissing people who have "full" black kids, or wishing that they will have less opportunities in life.

America is making progress away from racism, and we'll all be mixed one day but we still have a long way to go.

Obama is a step up, but hey, he's mixed.

And by the way, Black hair is seen as undesirable here. Blacks have to fit the European standard of beauty, have straight hair. Straight hair is seen as "good hair." Blacks spends thousands of dollars on hair. And most of the products and people who manufactor the products are white owned.

Who are they going to hire- a big afro in a business suit, or straight neat hair in a business suit? Straightness looks "neater" in their opinion. I personally dont care about that image of beauty. I like my nature coils and wear dreadlocks.

Now hopefully, your kid has so called "good hair," so they wont long for it, and spends thousands throughout their life to have it artificially, especially if it's a girl.

And watching Chris Rock's new Good Hair documentary movie, you might find a bit enlightening, in regards to black hair. So I recommend you watch it. It's available online.

Sorry if it seems like I'm mad and ranting. America is just something else....And it's funny to look at our society from an sociological perspective.

Last edited by Lady Jess; March 6th, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
March 7th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Okay I am sorry, but I have to take issue with the last post. It sounds very much to me, that you have had bad experiences Lady Jess in your own personal life, but America as a WHOLE should not be held responsible for the acts of a few. I have been with my husband who is a PROUD BLACK JAMAICAN AMERICAN, for close to 15 years now, and only a HANDFUL of times have I ever experienced racism. I am a PROUD WHITE HUNGARIAN WOMAN, and we have two absolutely GORGEOUS little boys who one has a dark complexion and what you called "Black " hair. I do not find it undesireable nor does he. He wears it in a low afro, and EMBRACES his fathers culture. He is in the TOP of his class, is a respectful hardworking little boy who is being raised to FOLLOW HIS DREAMS and NOT TO SETTLE FOR ANYTHING BUT HIS BEST!!
My youngest has more of a lighter complexion and has a HUGE,GORGEOUS,CURLY AFRO that he loves!! He also has been fighting sometimes for his very life with two kidneys that are slowly failing. He spends a large amount of his life inpatient at the hospital due to his disease. I have yet to come across a doctor or surgeon who doesn't want to treat him because he is half black.
I really think that both you and Asherzbaby really need to think about WHY you feel the way that you do. For her to want her baby to look more black, WHY? Are you unhappy with being white??
And for you to want your baby to look more Asian, Are you unhappy with being Black?? I am sorry, but the BOTH of YOU sound RACIST!! You cannot go around blaming America for being Racist, when that is how you are presenting yourself!!!!
Myopia likes this.
March 7th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Lady Jess's Avatar Tokyo gal
Hi Skittlez, thanks for your reply.

You just have no idea what's it's like being a black woman, and growing up going to school here. Being pressured to have straight hair.
And when I wore my NATURAL "afro" people think of that as "un-natural." And wearing natural hair is seen as "weird."
They are afraid to deal with their own hair? I dont understand.

Why? It's what you were born with. How could they hate something they are born with?

And What I dont like is them putting their opinions on me or putting my NATURAL hair down. If they dont like it, thats fine too. People have their own preference for how they want to wear their hair. And I'm fine with those who use relaxers to straighten their hair. I use to do it myself.

But I finally was able to embrace my natural hair and leave that cycle. I feel more empowered by my natural hair, and it's just my preference to wear it this way.

I guess I just dont want my child to experience things that I went through.
Thats why I prefer she looks asian, as well as have some "good grade of hair," instead of spending the thousands I have spent throughout the years, just to fit the standard of beauty. And asking "mommy, why dont I have good hair?" They also want to know why they cant have long gorgeous lock down their back like the white women.

I must say... In regards to hair, its much easier being a guy than a girl for any race. Girls spends too much time and money on hair products. Especially black women. And we have to buy things for our hair that other races don't because our hair is very curly, more prone to damage, breakage, and all sorts of other things. It's much easier to get a hair cut, being a guy. I wanted a son, but low and behold ended up with a girl.

Last edited by Lady Jess; March 7th, 2010 at 01:33 PM.
March 7th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Lady Jess,
I agree with you that I do not know what it is like to be a Black Woman, and I think it is horrible that you have had such bad experiences. NOBODY has the right to make you feel inadequate because you may choose not to wear your hair like Beyonce or extensions to give you the appearance of having straight hair.
My husband wore dreads for many years, because that is part of his culture ( Rastafarian ) and while it is not the most popular style, it is what HE liked, and it was a part of who he is!! He now wears it in braids or twists, and has NEVER "conformed" because of what society felt he should look like.
I am happy for you, that you are able to embrace your natural beauty and feel the empowerment from it, but I also feel sad, that you want your daughter to look Asian so that she doesn't have to go through what you did growing up. It must have been very painful for you, and shame on those people for hurting you in that way.
I have very curly dark hair myself, and used to spend TONS of money on products to manage it. It becomes so much easier when you come to terms with what God has given you, and I am amazed at how many people fight their natural beauty because of ridiculous magazines and photos of air brushed models.
Myopia likes this.
March 8th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry this seemed to turn into a debate thread, but to the original poster, you should just wait and see when your little one is born.

No matter if they have Thin/Thick, Straight/Curly, Soft/Coarse hair, they will be beautiful.
March 17th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Meggie26's Avatar Megan
Send a message via MSN to Meggie26
I would like to say my daughter is White/Haitian & Puerto Rican and although her hair may be really tight, kinky curls the texture is more "white" so it makes it a tad bit easier to deal with and manage. Believe me, the whole time I was pregnant I prayed and prayed she would get "good" hair. I struggle to fix it every day because I do not know how to braid, I do not know how to style it and I really don't even know what products to use on her hair. It is fairly dry, but not coarse.

I have friends that tell me she is "black" so she has to have black hairstyles such as cornrows and braids & beads. I personally don't like those styles on little girls and I prefer not to use them on my daughter. My daughter may be bi-racial and being raised in a white community, but one day I will embrace her "black" heritage but not while she is only two years old. I prefer her to have cute little pig tails. It seems to work best for me. I do occasionally let her run around with an afro, but that's only when I'm completely frustrated with doing her hair.

If I could go back in time, I wish more of my genes had carried over with my daughter and she looked a little more white. In my community its hard having a mixed child. Not only is she different in my family, but where I live there aren't very many bi-racial children. Yeah, she turns heads and gets a lot of ooohs and awwws but at the same time, I get disgusted looks.

Racism will forever be around. Regardless. People are who they are. The world has become interracial and although you would think it is accepted nowadays, it is just as well not. I happen to be attracted to black men and probably always will be.

I just don't see why the world has to be taught in black and white.

I don't know... Anyway...My daughter's hair drives me crazy!!!

March 18th, 2010, 03:17 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
I guess I've been lucky, but my daughter's race has never even been an issue with anyone I've spoken to. Her hair is an even mix between mine (I'm white) and her fathers (he's half white, half black). Mine's straight and his is tight curls, so hers is a little of both.

I use Morrocain (sp?) Oil in her hair on a daily basis. My friend recommended it to me, her daugher is also birracial, and it's been great in controlling her curls.

People always compliment her hair even though I find it a bit hard to manage at times.

I was never concerned about her coming out "more black" or "more white" because I intend on giving her all the opportunities and skills she needs to succeed in life.
Myopia likes this.
March 24th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I never frequent this board, but just happened to stumble upon this thread. I don't know if any of you have seen the website...Mixed Chicks Home but I've heard it does wonders for people of all different races. Especially little kids with hard to manage hair. I suggest you all check it out. It lets you embrace your natural hair, yet takes away the frizz.
April 23rd, 2010, 09:51 PM
cherryblossom88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i was worried about that before my daughter was born too! but her hair is thick but straight.. so i guess its just a waiting game. lets see how the next babies hair turns out
Reagan 8/8/06
Sakura 8/24/09
Amaryea 11/18/10

April 30th, 2010, 09:29 PM
maybaby's Avatar Generally Crispy
Mixed Chicks Home

^^^try this. i am mexican and jamaican-- i have lots of curly thick hair(as you can see)
my mom didnt know what to do with my hair either-- she never put chemicals or permed it and i am so thankful for that. to this day i just use the product listed above, and when i want it straight, i just go to my salon and get it blown out.
thats what works for me, and we'll see what my LO has when she is born, her father is white. Gene's are tricky- everyone ends up uniquely different, youll just have to wait it out and see what mother nature gives you.
good luck!!

this is natural curl:

me after a blow out: *excuse the preggo belly*
May 3rd, 2010, 08:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When it comes to your child's hair you will learn as your child's hair grows, it's not like you start out with a 5 yr old with thick long hair. You'll start out with little clips/pony tails and then you will learn how to do braids etc as her hair grows. (youtube is great for ideas and hints too)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search