Race

Forum: Interracial Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Interracial Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Super Mommy
What race do you consider your children? I'm white and my son's dad is black. What race would my son be considered on applications?
May 7th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Perfectly~Flawed's Avatar ♥ Proud Potterhead! ♥
Send a message via AIM to Perfectly~Flawed Send a message via Yahoo to Perfectly~Flawed
On her birth certificate they recc'ed they we should place her under African American, which we did. We werent given the choice to select both so I'd reckon for anything offical she'd have to put black?

I dunno

But personally I haven't sat down and said "My daughter is black" Or "Lynda is white."

May 14th, 2010, 09:41 AM
maybaby's Avatar Generally Crispy
My mother is Mexican and father is Jamaican, i always put Hispanic~ dont know why...just always have. OR "other"

for my LO i dont know what the heck i will put~ she's Mexican, Jamaican, Irish, and Scottish.

"other," like Mama, i guess

Last edited by maybaby; May 14th, 2010 at 09:43 AM.
May 14th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Morgan2006's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son (and baby to be) are both black and white...and I believe I checked both the black and white boxes on his birth certificate. Or maybe I put him under "other" and wrote it in? I'm not really sure now...
May 15th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So funny to come across this post today because I was just watching the report done on cnn about race ideas in kids, which prompted me to ask my 5 yr old. You and mommy are the same, right?

She replies back....no..points to her sister and says we're brown and your light. So I again said but we're the same right.....and she says again no you're light and we're dark.
Then I asked her are you the same as Daddy? she looks at me like I'm crazy and says no, he's black and we're light, and she looks at me and says not as light as you but we're light!

So I don't know what she will consider herself, but I think she won't be satisfied with choosing just black or just white. So far I haven't had to "choose" a race for her, birth certificates here don't ask that question.
May 15th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I ran into this problem with myself when I filled out the Census..

I was told, that you should pick the race of the father.. So I picked Caucasian, since my dad is German..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; May 20th, 2010 at 09:43 PM.
May 20th, 2010, 10:50 AM
karmaissotrue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to karmaissotrue Send a message via Yahoo to karmaissotrue
We don't have race listed on BC in Jersey.... I listed him as other on the hospital paperwork though

THANKS SO MUCH KILIKI FOR THE WONDERFUL SIGGY
May 21st, 2010, 08:49 PM
ShelliBelli's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So far everything that I have had to fill out Ive been able to choose black and white. I dont really know what I would do if I had to choose. On one hand I think I may would choose white since he looks more white with blonde hair and blue eyes and since his father is not involved at all and since Im white but then on the other hand I want him to be proud that he is black too, and just as much one as the other regardless if his dad is involved or not. Im now help LOL!!!!
May 22nd, 2010, 12:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hopefully, I will be able to put down black and white. If not, I'll put other.

May 25th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to BCRI9406
North Carolina BC dont list the race of the child. But whenever I have to fill out forms I usually check both black and white. I have Noticed recently on a few appications (ie: school) they have a box now that says Multi race and you can write in. I remember one time when Isaiah was just born and the man @ WIC asking his race and I said what do I put my husband is blk and myself white. He told me whatever the father is thats what they consider the race and told me to check off african american.
June 2nd, 2010, 01:26 PM
belleaz's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to belleaz Send a message via Yahoo to belleaz
Well I never ran into the problem except for school .... My oldest considers himself "brown" not "chocolate" and we've tried to explain hes both and he just cries...so when i registered for school there is no "other" box so i asked the lady what i shld put she said what race is the father? So she said that he's considered whatever the father is. I asked her not to tell or refer it to him because we were havin problems in that area. Eventually he grew into hes both but hes mexican first . lol kids

June 4th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Super Mommy
That's what I've heard that most - that their race is what the father is. I guess I can either put African-American or other on anything I fill out for him now, and maybe let him decide later on?! After we talk about it...
June 5th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Jessie0505's Avatar Finally a Mommy!
hmm..i dont have any kiddos yet..but i wonder what i would do..hubby is hispanic and im white..most forms say white not of hispanic origin??? what do i do there?? any suggestions?? This is a great topic!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my awesome perfect siggy!!
June 7th, 2010, 11:39 AM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It wasn't on the birth certificate here, but we'll just check "other" for Jacob.
June 7th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm white hubby is mexican. We put mexican if there's only one choice because of our last name.
June 29th, 2010, 01:47 AM
im mixed white and spaniard hubby is black and indian...so... other i guess lol
June 29th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well Harleigh is caucasian/italian/filipino.

She could always choose other or put caucasian or be like my DH and put pacific islander
June 29th, 2010, 11:46 PM
missmich
It's not always an easy answer with all those boxes. I used to phone surveys and had trouble asking the race question at the end. I also didn't understand the "non-hispanic white" thing either.

I'm not sure if they have a race box on the birth certificates here. If they do I'd like to check Latino and White if I can choose 2 options.
July 1st, 2010, 12:38 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmich View Post
I also didn't understand the "non-hispanic white" thing either.
Hispanic is not considered a race.. Crazy huh? Check out the US census form.. Look at box # 7 and then you have to mark box #8. When my DH (who's Mexican) filled out the census, he ended up picking white for the whole family.. lol

http://www.census.gov/dmd/www/pdf/d61a.pdf

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; July 1st, 2010 at 12:40 AM.
July 3rd, 2010, 10:43 PM
HeatherLopez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This always bothers me.... my husband is half Mexican and half Japanese. I am white. Our daughter is 50% white, 25% Mexican and 25% Japanese. My husband has always checked off hispanic for himself, and he says our daughter should do the same, because she has a hispanic last name. I just think that's kind of silly. So far...I have been checking the "other" box for her. I hope that by the time she gets to kindergarten they will have done away with the race question, because I think it's completely unneccessary.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search