Where did he learn this??

Forum: Interracial Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Interracial Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Morgan2006's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone! I'm new here. I have a 3 (he'll be 4 on june 13th!) year old mixed (black and white) son, and I have sort of a problem...

He is obsessed with the color of people's skin. He will tell his daddy he is black and tell me i'm white and then when we ask him what he is, he says tan. Ok...that's fine...but when he starts telling perfect strangers what color they are, and telling his daddy he doesn't like him because he's black, it is a bit of a problem. It hurts DH's feelings b/c he says it like it's such a bad thing. I've NEVER made an issue out of what race or color ANYONE was, EVER, so I don't know where he's getting this. Maybe preschool? He goes to school with kids of all races, so he's not sheltered in that aspect. I wonder if maybe some of the other parents make race a big issue in their household, therefore they bring the same attitude to school? I don't know....

someone help me out here. Does anyone else's kid do this??? Or is it just mine??

Thanks for reading!
May 17th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Perfectly~Flawed's Avatar ♥ Proud Potterhead! ♥
Send a message via AIM to Perfectly~Flawed Send a message via Yahoo to Perfectly~Flawed
Lynda is only 1 going on 2, so she's not speaking so bluntly but when she sees someone she'll touch their skin and then mine. Like shes thinking "Huh...this lady has brighter skin or something" Since her dad is...well, no longer in the picture she doesn't get the chance like she use to, to be around anyone other than my folks, unless we go out.

He might has learned it from preschool, my mom said I learned the most random things at that time. I'm black and I went to mostly all white schools (day care and preschool), so I heared a lot of things.

May 17th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Probably school. When I was teaching 7 yr olds, they would say lots of racial things, even to me. I don't have my baby yet, but I'm worried about combating race issues with him when he's older.

May 17th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I'm guessing school as well..

I don't have problems with my 2 1/2 year old daughter, she doesn't even know she's different from the other children in her class. But we never talk about color of skin, there's no need to, IMHO.. I live in an area were the population is 99% Caucasian. Most of the time, everyone loves her skin color and hair and eyes..

June 2nd, 2010, 01:39 PM
belleaz's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to belleaz Send a message via Yahoo to belleaz
Def school ...learning colors is probley what sparks it up I had the same problem with my oldest son Josiah (Blk & Mexican) He even cried one day and said i dont want a chocolate daddy eventually he grew out of it .

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search