Questions about Latino babies

Forum: Interracial Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Interracial Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2010, 03:43 PM
missmich
In September I'll be the single mama of a sweet little Latino or Latina baby! Forgive me if this is a stupid question,but do you think my baby will run hot or cold? I tend to be pretty cold and need a sweater often. I know that my FOB was much warmer and his skin was always warm to the touch. So does this mean my baby will be warmer or cooler? I know that Latinos tend me to be warmer. Also are there any other health concerns I should check out that Latinos may have or skin care that I should learn about before hand? I ask b/c I know that people from different ethnic back grounds have different health concerns and stuff like that.
June 19th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Perfectly~Flawed's Avatar ♥ Proud Potterhead! ♥
Send a message via AIM to Perfectly~Flawed Send a message via Yahoo to Perfectly~Flawed
Well, not sure about the hot or cold natured stuff! I reckon you'll have to wait and see!
Samt thing with the healt concerns, it wouldn't hurt to bring it up with your doc or your LOs pedi

June 20th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Warmth and temperature regulation:
Babies are not as adaptable as adults to temperature change. A baby's body surface is about three times greater than an adult's, compared to the weight of his/her body. Babies can lose heat rapidly, as much as four times more quickly than adults. Premature and low birthweight babies usually have little body fat and may be too immature to regulate their own temperature, even in a warm environment. Even full-term and healthy newborns may not be able to maintain their body temperature if the environment is too cold.

When babies are cold-stressed, they use energy and oxygen to generate warmth. If skin temperatures drop just one degree from the ideal 97.7° F (36.5°C), a baby's oxygen use can increase by 10 percent. By keeping babies at optimal temperatures, neither too hot or cold, they can conserve energy and build up reserves. This is especially important when babies are sick or premature.

Warmth and Temperature Regulation

The only thing that I would suggest that you read up on when having a bi-racial child is mongolian spots.

Mongolian spot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
June 21st, 2010, 02:40 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Wow. I never heard of a baby being hot or cold as a norm. I think it all depends on the child and has nothing to do with the race of the child...

My kids hare 1/2 Mexican.. I don't notice a difference in temperature like you mentioned.. As for health concerns.. They'll do a screening at the hospital for certain genetic conditions when your child is born.

My daughter does have Mongolian spots, but my daughter is 1/4 Asian too.. I'm thinking it's from her Asian side and not from her Mexican side (since no one in my DH family has them)..

June 21st, 2010, 04:58 PM
missmich
From what I've read about Mongolian spots a lot of Hispanic babies do have them along with Asians. I'm glad I know it's possible for my baby to have them since they do look a little like bruises at first glance. Now I know not to be to freaked out if I do notice them.
June 22nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My boy is half hispanic/black and half white and you'd never know it looking at him. He is white as a sheet with bright blue eyes (where did he find THOSE?!? ). He has his dad's face but my complexion etc. my hubby does tend to run warm and so does Jacob but I'm not sure if it's becauseof his race or just a coincidence.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search