Odd question- no not offensive

Forum: Interracial Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Interracial Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2010, 01:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi all I may have posted on this board before but I honestly don't remember. My children are mixed but truth be told no one can tell. My DH is Spanish & Mexican and I'm as white as can be. I doubt it exists on this board but I've noticed that IRL often people assume that my kids are only white and have questioned me filling out or telling them different. I've actually been criticized for claiming my kids are something they are not. Most of the time no one would fathom that my kids are mixed however if you know us and our 2 kids you can blatantly tell that DD looks very much like me and DS got his complexion and looks from DH. Am I wrong to be offended when people have made the aforementioned assumptions or flat out accused me or my kids of pretending to be something?

July 1st, 2010, 01:25 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I would be offended.. The ignorance of some people.. You'd think these people would understand that your DH is half Spanish and your white, more then likely your kids can come out white, instead of dark.. I just think people don't think sometimes..

My sisters (they are my 1/2 sisters) are in a similar situation as your kids.. Both look white, one has red hair with green eyes and the other has light brown hair with blue eyes.. My sisters are 1/4 American Indian.. They are recognized by the U.S gov't has being from Indian decent.. Basically they can get seen on the reservations and get paid by the gov't.. But people still question them.. It use to bug them when they were kids, but now that they are teenagers they just ignore the comments people make at them..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; July 1st, 2010 at 01:28 PM.
July 3rd, 2010, 12:50 AM
mommyof2with1ontheway

Last edited by mommyof2with1ontheway; June 10th, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
July 3rd, 2010, 02:38 PM
Perfectly~Flawed's Avatar ♥ Proud Potterhead! ♥
Send a message via AIM to Perfectly~Flawed Send a message via Yahoo to Perfectly~Flawed
I would be offended. People often think my DD is just white and even once I was asked if I was her nanny /sigh.

I even had a blinkie made, I'ma see if I can find it

July 3rd, 2010, 07:00 PM
missmich
These days you should be careful with assuming a mommy is the nanny just b/c they have a darker or lighter skinned baby with them. As a nanny though,I was often mistaken for the mommy! People told me it was b/c of the way I acted toward the little ones in my care. I took that as a compliment. If people ask if I'm my sons nanny I'm not sure how I'll take it. I'll probably make a joke out of it though.

I think it's one thing to say something like "oh your kids don't bi racial/mixed at all" b/c most people don't mean that to be rude or hurtful. To not believe you though after you tell them they are in fact mixed,well that's just rude. Why would mother or a father even lie about the race of their child? I'm sorry that you've had to deal with people who don't believe you.
July 10th, 2010, 10:52 PM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jacob looks caucasian. He even has blue eyes, but he is 1/4 black and 1/4 hispanic, so he is definitely mixed. Nobody has accused me of lying though, I'm not sure how I'd handle that. I'd be pi**ed!
July 11th, 2010, 09:15 PM
ShelliBelli's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im not usually offended when people dont recognize that Brighton is biracial. I really kinda think its funny. But Ive alo never been accused of lying about it, then I might not like it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search