Should I let them know my baby is mixed when I give birth?

Forum: Interracial Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Interracial Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
missmich
I've been reading about the apgar test they do when baby is born. One thing is to check the color of the baby and since my baby is mixed he won't be the "normal" color for a white baby and it may be hard to see if he's got jaundice. I know that for non-white babies they check the eyes for that. So should I say he's mixed? I'm also planning to say "father unknown" even though I do know who he is.
July 22nd, 2010, 03:52 PM
BigGrin's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The apgar checks for color to indicate oxygen saturation not jaundice. And babies are all born very light skinned and the assessment is the same regardless of ethinicity. Blood tests will show if the baby is becoming jaundiced and required the bili lights.

I dropped a tear in the ocean, and whenever they find it I’ll stop loving you, only then. ~Unknown
July 25th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Super Mommy
I have a biracial baby and that fact does not play into the apgar test so you won't have to say anything I am thinking.

Thank you steph2007 for my beautiful siggy!

July 25th, 2010, 09:02 PM
missmich
I read that part of the apgar was for jaundice though and with mixed babies or non-white babies they do check their eyes for it rather then the skin.
July 25th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
APGAR score is a score of the babies Alertness when born. (Appearance, Pulse, Grimace, Activity, Respiration). My son had an APGAR score of 9.9 when he was born.. 10 being the highest and rarely given.

What Is the Apgar Score?

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; July 25th, 2010 at 10:57 PM.
July 28th, 2010, 12:40 PM
BigGrin's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmich View Post
I read that part of the apgar was for jaundice though and with mixed babies or non-white babies they do check their eyes for it rather then the skin.
In all honesty they check the palate and eyes of all babies concerning jaundice. Not only that but basic blood tests are done on the baby to check their billi levels. And jaundice usually takes a few days to show, it virtually impossible to see a jaundiced baby at birth.

I dropped a tear in the ocean, and whenever they find it I’ll stop loving you, only then. ~Unknown
July 28th, 2010, 02:09 PM
missmich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriana's Mommy View Post
APGAR score is a score of the babies Alertness when born. (Appearance, Pulse, Grimace, Activity, Respiration). My son had an APGAR score of 9.9 when he was born.. 10 being the highest and rarely given.

What Is the Apgar Score?
So your bragging that your baby is perfect then? Was he born with that cute little mohwak he's got going on? lol
July 29th, 2010, 07:34 PM
ShelliBelli's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didnt tell anyone that Brighton was biracial when he was born and everything was fine. I dont think you need to.
July 29th, 2010, 07:42 PM
missmich
I'm quite light so they'll probably know right away if my baby looks anything like his older sister,my FOB's first child is also the same mix as this little one. Also they may notice me (trying to) speaking Spanish to him as well and figure it out! lol
July 30th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree, you don't need to tell them. My little guy is biracial and they were able to test him just fine. He got a 9.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search