Which culture/race...

Forum: Interracial Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LiamsMother
  • 1 Post By LUSHaye

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Interracial Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
do you see your kids identifying more with as they grow up?

November 15th, 2010, 05:21 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
My son is still too young to say he's going to go one way or the other. But to be honest the way DH and I are there really isn't much of a difference between our cultures. We both come from island in the Caribbean, the only difference is that I speak Spanish and he doesn't.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

November 16th, 2010, 10:54 AM
belleaz's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to belleaz Send a message via Yahoo to belleaz
I think my boys identify with my culture more than daddies because thats what they are constantly around my hubby doesnt have family here.

November 16th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm pretty sure Analiese is going to grow up feeling pretty darn 'white'.

November 18th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Two for More's Avatar Veteran
I don't have kids yet, but I do think it will be important to make sure my kids have a 'balance' when it comes to race and culture. I was raised quite Afro-centric and knowing about African American history and culture was a pretty big part of my childhood growing up. I can't exactly say that history and culture (for that of White people or anyone else) was a big part of DH's childhood, and so I know we'll differ there. If anything, I think I'll be the parent who tries to make sure that our kids know who they are and where they come from, and who tries to equip them with the tools they'll need to navigate the world as biracial children, and DH will be the parent who reminds me to let the kids breathe and just be kids. I honestly think we'll make a great team. If it all works out, our kids won't identify as black or white, but both, and hopefully it won't matter as much to them as it does to me ;-)

Happily married, and waiting to try

November 20th, 2010, 06:36 PM
missmich
I'd have to say mine since I'm a single mama and so far his Papi hasn't made any contact with me. I do want to teach him all that I can about his culture though and hope he does feel some connection to it.
November 21st, 2010, 11:43 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I have no idea.. I hope they just enjoy being an American and not pick a "race"..

But my kids have a choice between German, Filipino, or Mexican.. We have family in Mexico and the Philippines.. Don't know anyone in Germany, my dad was adopted there.. Which he is the reason why I'm an American today!

December 17th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm mostly just a lurker here, but I was just going to say, I'm white, and my husband is Mexican. I definitely think our son will probably identify more with the Mexican culture. I have no family other than an Uncle, and two older children from a previous marriage. The kids are the only white family he's ever around. My uncle is also married to a Mexican woman so he speaks spanish at home mostly, too. When asked about his race (dr., wic, etc.) we always put hispanic.
December 23rd, 2010, 08:22 AM
*kimi*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmm my kids identify with both. Im white and my dh is black and the boys both have suntanned looking skin but if you ask them they will tell you they are dark brown They think they look like daddy but they are around a lot of my family so they will be familiar with both side. I dont really care as long as they are happy with themselves!!

Thank you to Graysmama for my adorable siggy
May 24th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Veteran
I don't know he/she will if any family be around my side of the family but we're %rish so I don't really know.
May 27th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm black my husband is white. It will depend on what skin tone and hair texture our kids end up with.
June 15th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
my boys white and my daughter mexican

my oldest doesnt like any mexican food and does not care and has no interest in learning spanish

my daughter LOVES mexican food,especially anything hot and speaks some spanish really well

my youngest looks 100% white and doesnt like anything hot
the funny thing is my darkest is the oldest lol
June 19th, 2011, 06:27 PM
femketje's Avatar Crazed Country Rebel
My son is still too young but I want to give him the best of both cultures like I had been given as a child (also mixed). I think its important for children to know where their family and ancestors came from, grow up enriched with their own culture and others as well. I would assume my child would identify as 'white' just based on his skin tone and straight, light hair.. who knows..
June 25th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Regular
I'm white and their father is black. My family isn't involved but neither is his side but I'd say they would probably identify with being black more than white. I remember when they were little and they didn't know they were half black, lol. "Mommy, why is grandma black?" We live in such a culturally diverse area and I love it. There's never been a problem with them not fitting in anywhere. I wonder if it would be that way if they grew up in the small Mid-West town that I'm from that was predominately white.
July 4th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I don't identify as anything myself. I can pass myself off as black asian indian hispanic or middle eastern white at times. I'm just white and asian though... My baby's going to be even more mixed. My bd is Black Native American and Mexican... My baby's going to be an eighth black an eighth native american a quarter hispanic an eighth english an eighth swedish an eighth chinese and an eighth japanese. I researched and many mexicans are mestizo. And native americans are a subcategory of the old asian racial category of mongoloid. So I guess I'm having a baby that's mostly of that ancestry and caucasian. But with identity you never know he or she could easily grow up identifying closely with being black you never know....
July 6th, 2012, 01:28 PM
LiamsMother's Avatar Amanda (Amahnda)
My husband and I would be devastated if our children chose a race/culture. They're comprised of both and to choose one would be denying the other parent. Our son looks more white than black but definitely couldn't "pass" as white, and I'm sure he'd never want to. We're going to raise him and his siblings to love, appreciate, respect, and identify with, both.
Adriana's Mommy likes this.

September 11th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I WANT my daughter to identify with both sides (I'm white & hubby is Brazilian), although all of his family lives far away in other states or Brazil and my parents live close...he speaks to her in Portuguese, but I think she is probably gonna identify more with my side...even though I want her to embrace her Brazilian side as well.

October 10th, 2013, 10:04 PM
#6 otw for us:)
I am white, dh is Mexican. We each had two boys when we got together, with the parent of the boys the same as ourselves, we have a daughter together and a baby boy on the way.
however the other parent of our boys is not around, so I am Mami and dh is Papi to all of our kids, even though 2 are white, 2 are Mexican, dd is both as is baby to be. All of our kids are bilingual, and have connections with my parents and family as well as with dhs family, we have spent a few months in Mexico and there has yet to be a difference in attention or expecataions for behavior between all the kidos, so it really depends on how you choose to raise your kids. They will identify with who and where they feel loved!
We work **** hard to have everyone feel as there are zero differences between them, regardless of blood ties...
its not an easy fast but definately can be done!
October 19th, 2013, 09:54 AM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm going to say 'mine.'
We are both hispanic but SO was adopted so he didn't really grow up with the culture at ALL. His parents are great, but they just didn't impress his culture on him. He just had a different upbringing.
So I'm hoping to help bun identify more with 'my' culture. Not going to say race because hispanics are all over the skin color spectrum.
It's the food, the history, the family stories, the interactions, the clothing, the language. I want them to know they are a part of something big and amazing.
jessmgt likes this.
February 3rd, 2014, 03:30 AM
amberbanegas's Avatar Veteran
My husband is from Honduras and I am PRican. My kids say they are Latino/a. My daughter just says TAN! LOL. I want to teach them about all cultures. Black, White, Latina… All of it. My husband has African relatives from his Grandmother. They are called Garifuna. I just want them to not look at skin as an indicator (We got white, black and tan in the family) of race. I want them to look at the person and love their color as well.

http://kuwaitandbeyond.blogspot.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search