Corra Rose 2-23-2013

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Neads

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Guess Who Entered Whoville? LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I can't believe my birth story is for a February baby instead of a March baby! I never imagined she'd come in February, but it's such a sweet surprise!

These past few weeks have been so emotional and exhausting. At 34 weeks she dropped really low. I started losing the plug and having a lot of irregular contractions. At 35 weeks I had bloody show and with all the pressure I knew it would be much longer. I sat around and drinking tons of water all week trying to slow things down.

The doctor was surprised when I went in Friday for my 36 week (and 3 days) appointment and I was 3-4cm dilated and 75% effaced with a water bag starting to bulge! She said she could send me to the hospital to be put on monitors and if I had any type of contractions or progress they would admit me to have baby. I told her I had a baby shower Saturday and didn't want to go to the hospital until I knew it was closer to time because I didn't want them trying to rush things. She introduced me to the doctor on call for the weekend because she had a feeling he would be delivering for me soon. Then she sent me to go pre register at the hospital. I felt really "off" all day. I could hardly think straight or function. Looking back I think my body was trying to conserve energy for what was coming.

My parents had taken my kids to the toy store to play while I had my appointments. My mom was concerned about me so she insisted on taking the kids for the night (first time they've stayed the night anywhere). I tried to take a nap when I got home, but I felt too alert to sleep... it was a weird zoned-out, yet wide awake type feeling. So I put together the baby swing while I waited for dh to get off work. It was really strange not having the kids around! When he got home we went out to eat, but I didn't have an appetite. We tried to watch a movie at home, but I didn't feel good and dh said we better try to sleep because it might be a long night. (I was in denial because I had been feeling "weird" off and on for the past two weeks and figured it was more of the same just more intense since I had run around at my appointments instead of sat at home.)

Around 10:45, I just started drifting off when a hard contraction woke me. I dozed back off and another one came. When the next one came I felt I was getting wet between my legs. I started to get out of bed to potty, but as soon as I did the water started streaming out. I called out to dh from the bathroom to bring me some underwear and a pad! We loaded the car and I text everyone on the way letting them know we were heading to the hospital! Contractions were coming about every 8 minutes.

We had to go in through the emergency room so they made me lay on my left side in a bed to be wheeled all through the hospital to the 3rd floor maternity ward. It felt silly, but I know it's hospital policy. In triage they couldn't comfirm right away that it was my water that broke. So they had to send off the q tip test which took over an hour to get results back for. I was now 4-5 cm. While we were in triage my inlaws walked in without any warning. They have come to sit in the waiting room before with past two babies, but never tried to see us until it's all over. So it irritated me that they just came on in like it was nothing. When we got our own room, FIL came in again and just stood there staring at me and then walked back out. Then he came in AGAIN and brought my step grandpa with him. Later I found out they all stood right outside the door and hear EVERYTHING while I was about to push her out... they keep laughing and talking about all the things I said which really embarresses me. I'm very private and not very close to them.

Anyways, Contractions had been picking up a lot while in triage, but once in our own room they started slowing down. I kept trying to move positions and changing the incline of my bed to encourage contractions to come. Around 2:30am the nurse told me if I didn't make any progress in the next 30 minutes they would start Pitocin. So I really started trying to get things going (as best I could with being confined to the bed). The contractions were getting stronger and I started visualizing through them. I would imagine I was racing my sister down the old dirt road we use to run and that the pain was from running so hard. Or I imagined riding my bike. I thought about special moments from our wedding day. I thought about my 4 year old twirling in her dress with a big smile... but that one just made me tear up! At 3am I was 7cm and 80% The nurse was surprised and said I was having "the labor of everyones dreams" because it was slow and steady, but making progress. I had another water bag she could feel and she said if that bag ever gave way things would go really fast. I rubbed my belly and told Corra I thought "5am sounds like a good time to meet". I started to hit transition and things got more intense. I kept talking to Corra in my head and thinking of our 5am agreement. I did really well breathing through contractions that were now back to back. I started to feel pressure and asked to be checked. I was 9.5cm. I started to lose control a little because it was getting so intense and I wanted to push. They called the doctor to start heading in. There was a really hard contraction and then the last bag of water exploded everywhere! With that she was crowning! I was really loud at this point yelling that she was about to come out. They called the doctor to hurry. They kept telling me not to push, but I kept yelling back that I couldn't help it. I felt the ring of fire burning and looked around to see that dh was the only one in the room watching me, all the other five nurses had their backs to me getting their equipment ready. I freaked out that they weren't going to catch her if she did start coming out so I yelled that I needed help. I started pushing a little just to get their attention because I felt like they didn't believe me. I was quickly surrounded by all the nurses forcing me to my side with my leg closed to hold her in and telling me to breathe. The doctor ran into the room and they told me to just let him put his gloves on. I was about to rip all the monitors, iv, blood pressure cuff off. I was hanging onto the bed rails and they had to hold me down to keep me from pushing her out. Finally the doctor was ready, but at this point I was in a ball at the top of the hospital bed. The nurses pushed me on to my back since I refused to move. Then they told me to move to the edge of the bed, but I just started pushing so they again pulled me as far as they could. The doctor said "it's okay now, you can let her out." I gave one big push and she came flying out! Dh was shocked that it was so fast!

I felt instant relief, but then I couldn't see her or hear her so I got concerned. She was blue and they were having a hard time getting her to breath and pink up. NICU was called to take her. I got to hold her for just a few second before they took her.

She ended up spending 24 hours in NICU mostly because her blood sugar was too low and she needed an iv. Dh and I were able to go visit her. The first time we came to visit they brought us to a back room and sat us down. A doctor asked us if we had anyone in our family with any type of chromosome or genetic problems. Asked if our previous kids had any issues and if this was our first baby together. He said she has a few signs that make him want to get her chromosomes tested. We cried a lot and felt heart broken. It was hard to stand and watch her in her nicu station, not being able to touch her, and thinking about all the possibilities. She was released from NICU at 3am Sunday. We felt a lot better getting to hold her and start breastfeeding. Several nurses and the on call pediatrician all said they will be shocked if the test comes back with anything. They all think she is fine. Which is very reassuring, but we are trying not to get our hopes up too much. The results take 7-10 days from yesterday. So for now we are just loving on her and dwelling on how beautiful and amazing she is because no matter what the test says, she is perfect.

Corra couldn't be discharged until Monday since they didn't have my strep test results in that i had taken Friday. But, Sunday night a huge blizzard moved in dumping 19.5 inches of snow! All the roads were closed down. They had to discharge me by midnight Monday, but they let us stay in the room as "guests". They took her at noon Monday to go under the billi lights. She was only a little jaundice, but they thought since we were stuck anyways it would be a good time to do it and would give them a good reason to not discharge her until Tuesday.

They kept pushing for us to get lots and lots of formula in her which was hard because I was trying to get breastfeeding going too. They only let us have her for an hour every 3 hours while she was doing the lights so it was a rush to try to get breastfeeding and a certain amount of formula in during that short amount of time.

I had a 2nd degree tear which hasn't been too bad so far. The varicose vein in my leg is extremely tight and sensitive. It's bothered me more than the crotch. They did a sonogram to check for blood clots. Everything is fine, but there is nothing they can do except wait it out. Now both my legs, feet, ankles, arms, and hands are all swollen and retaining tons of water! I feel sooo beautiful!

Oh! And Corra Rose was born at 5:03am! She listened to my 5:00 suggestion! She would have been here at exactly 5:00 if the nurses would have let me! (Very glad doctor made it in time though!) She weighed 6 lbs 13 oz (our heaviest baby!) and 18.5 inches. I am completely in love!
February 27th, 2013, 11:23 AM
jackkey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! I am sure everything will turn out fine. Maybe she was having a hard time since she wanted to come out and they made you stop.

Thank you Babydoll 213 for the great siggie!

February 27th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Athme's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a story! Congratulations! I really thought you were going to say your husband had to catch her. hehe. I am sure she will be fine and I hope today (27th) she is BFing well
February 27th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a great story, and I love that she came when you wanted her to! Congrats, mama!!!

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

February 27th, 2013, 12:24 PM
AimeeD041727's Avatar PowerPuffGirls
Congrats Mama! Little Corra sounds perfect! So happy for you!

I hate when the nurses tell you to wait to push! They did the same thing with me and my second daughter. Your body just takes over and you have no control!

February 27th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Super Mommy
Congrats! Glad everything ended up working out so well. Sorry about your in-laws, that would have pissed me off as well.
February 27th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Julie_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, what a crazy story! And thanks for sharing so many details! I was also thinking your DH was gonna catch her or that you were! I also can't believe your inlaws but hopefully they just stood outside the door because they wanted to feel a part of the birth.

February 27th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Veteran
Congrats she sounds perfect I hope everything is fine.
February 27th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats hun! I hope everything comes back good with her labs!

February 27th, 2013, 07:22 PM
JLNichols07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!! I would have chewed my in-laws up and down for being outside the door..especially when I was in pain! Urrggg! Can't wait to see pictures of the baby!

February 28th, 2013, 02:57 AM
Veteran
Congrats!! I also hope everything comes back perfect with the tests!
February 28th, 2013, 04:05 AM
PrincessLou79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations on Corra's arrival! What a birth story!

February 28th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! I'm still in shock that she is here! My other two kids finally got to come home yesterday (they were snowed in at grandmas). They are very excited about Corra being her and don't want her out of their sight. The first time DS (he's 2) walked in while I was breastfeeding he started laughing and said "why is baby sister doing that?!? She GOT you! She's getting mommy!" He thought it was hilarious that she was "playing" with me! DD1 (4yrs) told him she was getting milk from mommy's belly button. Later when Corra was in the swing and started crying I saw DD1 looking at her own belly button like she was trying to decide if she had in milk in it.

I'm still pretty annoyed with the inlaws... This is our 3rd baby and I always thought it was understood that it was a private moment for just dh and I. Not sure what went through their heads! I doubt we will have another baby, but if we do they will be called AFTER baby arrives.

I'm ready to know the test results so we can move on. Corra has a doctor check up in the morning and I'm anxious to see what her doctor says (he hasn't seen her yet). One nurses in NICU thinks I might have had gestational diabetes that was overlooked that may of caused her to come early.

Breastfeeding going great! I haven't been getting much sleep because she wants to eat ALL night long. I know it will get easier as we get more of a routine going around here.

Last edited by Neads; February 28th, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
March 1st, 2013, 09:45 AM
Regular
We went through a similar experience w/ our 3rd baby. She was born with several birth defects but after surgery and some therapy she is doing very well. She is 2 now and the best kid a mom could ask for waiting for those test results is awful but hopefully everything is fine. Having her home already is already a good sign hang in there
March 3rd, 2013, 06:40 PM
Storm122's Avatar Super Mommy
amazing! I hope I remember my story as well as you did! I would be completely pissed off at my Inlaws as I am also a private person! we are actually not having anyone at the hospital, we want our own bonding time
I pray and hope she is good! KUP on her tests!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search