Log In Sign Up

Rylie Lynn's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Guess Who Entered Whoville? LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2013, 06:09 AM
sweet.hun's Avatar We're Complete <3
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,471
At my 38 week appointment I was seen by the NP and she was slightly concerned that I was measuring small. They decided to send me in for an ultrasound at the hospital to make sure everything was ok with the amniotic fluid levels. The minute the tech put the wand up to my stomach and said “Uh oh!” that’s when I knew there was an issue. I said “What is it?” and the tech said “Your baby is breech! Did you know that?” NO! I DIDN’T! We all thought she was head down!! That really foiled my plan for a natural delivery seeing as how I was already 38 weeks and the chances of her turning head down were slim to none. After the ultrasound I went home and told family the news. I was bummed, but I just wanted her here safely so even though my OB hadn’t called yet with the dreaded “You’ll need a c-section” news, I was prepared for it. That day they called back and said my c-section was for Monday, March 18th.

At my second 38 week appointment we had a little scare when the OB couldn’t find Rylie’s heartbeat right away on the Doppler so she had me lay on my left side and then she was able to pick it up. I was then sent to the hospital for an NST to make sure everything was ok, which it was. I guess they were worried that maybe the reason she was breeched was because the cord was wrapped around her head or something. While at the hospital they told me my c-section would be set for 7:30am on 3/18. I went and told my birth photographer and family and then started to prepare even more for what was going to happen that coming Monday.
That Monday morning we woke up at 4:30am and got ready to go. I had to be there by 5:30am so they could do an ultrasound, monitor Rylie, etc. They showed my family (Jesse, my mom, his mom) the ultrasound and the OB pointed out where her head, arms and legs were. It was funny, we didn’t even need the ultrasound to know that Rylie was breech, all the nurses were coming over to poke my belly and feel where her head was.

Walking into the OR at 7:30 was just surreal. I was kind of jittery once I got in there (combination of cold/nervous I guess) and they gave me a warm blanket so that I could be comfortable while I got the spinal. My anesthesiologist and the team did a great job, the only thing I felt was the first initial injection of lidocaine. They commented on how I did a great job handling it and that everything was going to go smoothly from there on out. It pretty much did. They gave me something for my heartburn since it was pretty bad in the OR and once I was numb they brought Jesse in and got started. It was about 5-10 minutes, I felt some tugging, and then I heard “Legs out, butt out, head out!!!” and she started screaming her head off at 8:08am. I started to cry, obviously. She had the cutest cry ever and I wanted nothing more than to see her. She was taken to the warmer where I could see her being cleaned off, weighed, measured, etc and I couldn’t believe how absolutely beautiful she was. And how much she looked like me. She was brought over to me after that and I gave her some kisses, which she puckered up for. It was adorable, but unfortunately we don’t have pictures of that because Jesse forgot the camera….thankfully a nice nurse went and brought it in for us.

Once I was stitched and stapled up they put me onto the recovery gurney and put Rylie skin to skin with me which was absolute heaven. She crawled to my right breast after a little bit in PACU so I had one of the nurses help me to get her latched on and Rylie nursed for about 25-30 minutes. My mom, MIL, and birth photographer all came in to see me which was great. After about 2 hours in recovery I was sent up to my room on the mother/baby unit and they played her lullaby. From there we took some pictures of all of us together and then my photographer left.

I requested to see the LC since I had a bit of trouble getting Rylie to latch on to my left breast and the LC who was on call that day was pretty much worthless and told me they don’t like to see patients that first day because mother and baby are “getting used to each other”, which I thought was just stupid. The second day I did get seen by a great LC who helped me get Rylie to latch on to the left breast by using the football hold. My nipple tissue wasn’t as drawn out on that side as it was on my right, so until Rylie helped it along it worked out wonderful for us to use that latch on technique. That same day they did decide to supplement Rylie with a teeny bit of formula (they let her lick it out of a medicine cup) because she hadn’t had a wet diaper in almost 10 hours. That did the trick, and she hasn’t had any more supplementation because that night my milk came in. That same LC seen me the next day and had some students with her. She showed them what a great latch Rylie had and how my milk had come in wonderfully and showed me techniques to make sure I was helping with the let down and un-engorgement. The day I was discharged it was like the LC brought in everyone and their momma to get a glimpse of Rylie nursing. Unfortunately I had just nursed her which I think bummed out the students. I got a schedule of their breastfeeding support group meetings and plan on attending the meetings as much as I possibly can.
A problem we did have in the hospital was Rylie would just not want to be separated from me. The first night we were establishing breastfeeding so she was with me most of the time and they had a policy about not sleeping with the baby in bed with you so I was super paranoid that I was going to fall asleep with her (which I would doze off a lot and then wake myself back up) so I really didn’t get much sleep. They yelled at me for it and the second night the nurse took Rylie out of the room for about an hour so we could get some sleep and then decided that we were going to break the hospital policy because Rylie wanted to be skin to skin (this decision came because Jesse could NOT get her to settle down, she would just wail whenever he had her and the minute she got back to me she would stop). After that decision was made, we all slept so much better and Jesse stopped worrying about every little sound and grunt she made (seriously, he because helicopter dad real fast). We actually still have the sleeping problem, so Jesse has been sleeping on an air mattress at night while I’m propped up in the middle of our bed surrounded by a bunch of pillows with Rylie resting on my chest and the boppy. I’m not getting the best sleep ever, but it works for us right now until we get the co-sleeper we ordered.

As far as how everything is going now, it’s going good. My incision site is healing well and today I had my staples removed. I was prescribed Percocet and Ibuprofen but have only been taking the Ibuprofen because I really hate narcotics and how they make me feel. I’ve been using an AbdoMend Belly Binder so I don’t have a lot of pain unless I am walking around too much, but that hasn’t happened since Friday when we took Rylie to get enrolled in DEERS (for the military) and to be seen by the pediatrician on base. At that appointment she was down about 9% in weight which they of course got worried about. Since she’s breastfed I wasn’t worried at all. We took her back yesterday and she gained so she’s now up to 7 lbs 2 oz. I’m enjoying her being a “Momma’s Girl” and am so happy she’s my daughter. Sometimes I’ll look at her and wonder how in the world she fit inside me…I mean, I didn’t have a crazy huge bump or anything. And look what came out of it!!! Also I’m already back to my pre-pregnancy weight which makes me very very happy!

Always missing my 4 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12, 11/27/14
Reply With Quote
March 26th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 740
That's a great story! Congrats again!
Reply With Quote
March 29th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Mrs.Storm's Avatar New mommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 686
Fantastic story! What a surprise to find out she was breech. So glad everything turned out great though. And great news about being down to your pre pregnancy weight! Yay! How much did you gain during pregnancy? If that's not rude to ask.
Reply With Quote
March 29th, 2013, 10:13 AM
sweet.hun's Avatar We're Complete <3
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,471
Originally Posted by Mrs.Storm View Post
Fantastic story! What a surprise to find out she was breech. So glad everything turned out great though. And great news about being down to your pre pregnancy weight! Yay! How much did you gain during pregnancy? If that's not rude to ask.
I gained about 27 lbs, also in the beginning I lost about 10 so at one point I was under my pre-pregnancy weight.

Always missing my 4 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12, 11/27/14
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0