Jack Finn's birth story 3/9

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Guess Who Entered Whoville? LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2013, 07:53 AM
SammyJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I realize it's been like five (almost six!) months since Jack was born, but I really wanted to get his birth story here in the DDC (now playroom) just in case anyone wanted to read it. I copied and pasted this from my blog.

It was in the wee hours of Saturday morning when I woke up because I noticed Dan still wasn't home. He'd been out playing D&D with some friends (yeah he's a nerd) so I texted him to find out where he was. I was kind of annoyed because I'd been paranoid for weeks that he was going to stay out or up too late one night and then I would end up going into labor and then he would end up being super tired and out of it to be a good labor partner. I really wanted to do the whole thing natural and knew I was going to need strong labor support to do that.

He texted me back a few minutes later saying he'd be home soon and I went back to sleep. Well my parents and brother were in town helping us out with the house, getting ready for the baby and then obviously would be here for a few days after he baby arrived to help us get adjusted. So when Daniel got home he tried to sneak in the front door instead of the garage because he didn't want to wake my parents. Well he woke Newton (our pomeranian) instead who then proceeded to play guard dog barking his head off while Daniel tried to unlock the door. I was more worried about Newton waking the entire house so I hopped out of bed to let Dan in and that is when I felt a gush down my legs. Did I pee? Water broken? Still responding to the incessant barking I rushed to the front door to let Daniel in and continued to feel gushes of water trickling out as I walked. I most definitely did not pee my pants. The first thing I say to Dan is, "We need to go, my water just broke." In a sleepy, groggy voice.

Instant look of panic on his face.

"When? Really?"

"Just now when I came to open the door!"

Keep in mind that I'm now super annoyed because he had been up all night just in time for me to deliver our son.

We immediately gather the rest of the stuff we wanted to take to the hospital and Dan texts my mom telling her my water broke. She comes rushing downstairs and we give her instructions to stay home and sleep for a while longer, but my mom being the person she is says that she's already woken my dad and brother and will be catching up with us at the hospital soon and will bring caffeine for Dan. Because I have fluids still gushing out of me at intermittent moments I don't argue and off we go to the hospital.

Once we arrived, one of the nurses looked skeptical that my water had broken:

"Most of the moms come in and they've really just peed themselves," she said before checking the fluid to make sure it was in fact amniotic.

Which is was.

Another nurse said I must be having a storm baby and said that when it is stormy, they have an increase of women showing up with broken waters. Yay science! Whatever happened, I was just glad to be finally getting the show on the road.

Unfortunately my contractions didn't start. So they started me on pitocin, which I'd really wanted to avoid. But once your water breaks they get you on a time clock because of the increased risk of infection. Even walking around wasn't getting anything going so they got the pitocin going in small increments at 4:45 a.m. Unfortunately the baby didn't respond well to the super intense contractions (duh) so they had my lay on my sides, rotating to help keep the baby from distress. I also wasn't responding well and this was the part I had feared about being given pit. The contractions were out of this world painful. I'd requested the water tub room so I could try handling the pain in the tub but with the baby's heart not doing well (way to freak a mama out!) and my own pain, I caved and requested the epidural.

And you know what? That was the best decision I ever made. Labor was a complete breeze the rest of the time. So for all of you dying to tell me, "I told you so," feel free to do so. Because seriously, that epi rocked. Even getting it wasn't bad. I was prepared for this massive pain in my back but I didn't even feel it. All of a sudden the anesthesiologist was like, "k, you're done!"

Alrighty! I'll take it.

I was dilated to a five at this point and rapidly climbing (hence the distress on por baby Jack.)

By 8:15, I was dilated to a 7 and to a 9 just 45 minutes later. Because the baby was still not doing well with his heart rate by this point, they stopped the pit and decided to let things work on their own. (thank YOU!)

Now he began moving downward and finally switched his head into a birth ready position. The nurses had me start pushing at noon. However, after about three pushes, the doc comes rushing in. They told me that as a first-time mom I'd likely be pushing for up to two hours or so. However, three pushes later and his head was almost out. So by 12:24 p.m. Saturday, my baby was born. Only six pushes required. One minor tear (whew! Not nearly as bad as I was expecting.) He had the cord wrapped twice around his neck, but the doc took care of that quickly and he was perfectly fine.

I don't think I slept for the next 24 hours because I was just so in awe of my little boy. I wouldn't let the nurses take him and I didn't even put him in the little plastic crib thing they give you in the hospital for very long. I just wanted to hold him and live on cloud nine as long as I could. They discharged us the next morning, less than 24 hours since he was born. Everything looked great! It was not the birth experience I'd envisioned, but it went better than I ever expected.

Thanks to *Sharon* for my awesome siggy! My pregnancy blog

October 3rd, 2013, 05:57 PM
Veteran
I just saw you posted this and I totally agree with you on the epi. I wanted to do it naturally, but I caved and it was wonderful. It made me less stressed! I'm glad everything went well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search