Favorite HEALTHY recipes

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree40Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Woodlander Bistro LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2013, 02:56 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since so many of us are watching what we eat and a bunch of you in WW can we start a thread and sticky it with yummy HEALTHY recipes that we come across??

I know I've said this a few times but one of our favs is salsa chicken

It's chicken breast sprinkled woth taco seasoning and covered in salsa (pico de gallo) then either bake for 40 min or crock pot it. Serve on a wheat tortilla or brown rice with low fat sour cream cheese avocado etc..

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
January 10th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Peytonsmomma
jill! that sounds amazing! i was just looking at what to make for dinner tonight, do you cut the chicken up and put it in the taco?

oh man i found this girl on pinterest...its skinnytaste, anyways she has all these low cal recipes and they are awesome!

jill we also made your tilapia the other night like i posted on your facebook and it was sooo good!

i made homemade meatballs on new years ...baked them made them with extra lean hamburger or you could do turkey meat made our own marinara sauce which has less calories than the store kind, put hawaiian rolls in the meat mixture instead of regular bread bc it has less carbs and calories than regular wheat and white bread and they were gone in 5 minutes!! sooo good!!
JillMama and cuatx like this.
January 10th, 2013, 03:11 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I'll put in a sticky request and come back later to share recipes
JillMama and Pageturner like this.

January 10th, 2013, 03:23 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
alas i havent tryed this as i own neither a George Foreman or a pannini press but this is my current dream health food
Cheesy Pizza Panini| GreenLiteBites

this is one I actually do eat and love
Eat Yourself Skinny!: Mini Zucchini Pizzas
abur likes this.

January 11th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Peytonsmomma
the meatball recipe

1 pound hamburger, grass-fed if possible
2 eggs, beaten with 1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup panko or bread crumbs
1 small onion, minced or grated (1/2 a large onion)
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley or basil

Mix all ingredients with hands. Form into golfball sized meatballs. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Pageturner likes this.
January 14th, 2013, 08:06 AM
My Mom told me this one yesterday, I'm going to make it with turkey meat loaf

Roasted veggies, brown rice and balsamic vinegar... that's it!

Pick your veggies of choice, toss in a tiny bit of olive oil, salt, pepper... whatever you want, bake in the oven for 40min-1hr, serve over brown rice and balsamic

I think I'll make mushroom meat loaf

Lean ground turkey
Mushroom, a few different kinds
Panko
dry onion soup
organic dried onions (like frenches)
1 egg
a splash of milk
garlic

Mix all together, put servings in a cup cake tin and cook for 25 min ( so I'll put it in the last 25 min of the veggies)

That's it

January 14th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Black Bean Roll Up

Whole Wheat Pita or Spinach wrap
Low sodium canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
Low fat feta cheese
Spring mix lettuce
Olives
Avocado
Tomatoes
Onion (optional)

I prefer pita pockets with this one. Warm up the pita pocket over the fire on the stove. You can either open the pocket or stuff all the ingredients in the center and fold like a taco. Warm up your beans and chop up all the other ingredients to the size of your liking. I don't chop up the spring mix lettuce at all. Put all your ingredients inside..sprinkle with feta and enjoy. I have also added brown rice inside and that was very tasty.
JillMama and AltMommy like this.

Last edited by Summerdays12; January 14th, 2013 at 11:04 AM.
January 14th, 2013, 09:24 AM
ellinj0206's Avatar Mom to Alexandra Jane
Send a message via Skype™ to ellinj0206
Hello Ladies,

I added the Weight Watchers point calculations I have made if this helps anyone following WW.

Quick Vegetable Soup (serves 4)
Approximately 2-3 Weight Watchers Points Plus per serving

Ingredients:

2 cups chopped Savoy Cabbage
1 cup chopped baby spinach
1 cup chopped onion (white, yellow or sweet)
1 cup chopped zucchini
1/2 cup chopped yellow squash
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped turnip
2 cloves garlic
1 stalk celery (chopped)

2 tbsp low-sodium tomato paste
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups low sodium (or no sodium) fat free chicken broth
1 tsp Olive Oil

Preparation:

In large saucepan (3-4 quart), add Olive Oil. Heat on medium heat (number 4 on electric range). Allow oil to heat and add onions, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook approximately 5 minutes until onions become translucent.
Add cabbage, spinach, turnip. Stir. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes covered.
Add 3 cups of broth. Mix remaining 1 cup with tomato paste. Add to saucepan.
Add basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
Bring to boil for 5 minutes. Lower heat to low-medium (number 3 on electric range). Cook covered 30 minutes.
Uncover, stir and add zucchini and yellow squash. Stir. Cover. Cook 10 minutes.
Stir and serve.
Enjoy!

Breakfast Frittata (serves 1--approximately 5 WW points)

Ingredients:

1/2 tsp. Earth Balance butter substitute**
3 egg whites
1/2 cup zucchini (thinly sliced and chopped into approx. 1" long strips)
1/4 cup vidallia onion (thinly sliced)
1/3 cup baby portabello mushrooms (thinly sliced)
5 grape tomatoes (sliced in half, lengthwise)
4 pieces Hormel Natural Choice Deli Ham (cut into approx. 1/2" cubes)

**you can use any butter substitute or butter, just be sure if you are counting WW Points Plus you plug the information into your calculator to get the proper points calculation

Preparation:

Use a pan that is ideal for omelets.
Heat pan on medium/medium-high heat (number 4 on electric stove). Add butter/butter substitute to pan. Allow to melt.
Add vegetables and ham to pan. Tomatoes should be flat side down on pan to allow juices to caramelize. Stir ingredients after approximately 4 minutes. Continue to saute until zucchini becomes soft and tomatoes are soft to the touch. Be sure that vegetables and ham are evenly spaced before adding egg whites.
Add 3 egg whites to vegetable/ham mixture. If using egg whites in carton, follow measurement information on carton.
Add freshly ground black pepper to eggs (to taste).
Cover and allow to cook approximately 5 minutes. Eggs should be white and no loose egg whites should be visible on the top of the frittata. Eggs should also become a somewhat puffier consistency.
For easy serving, move spatula along sides of finished frittata to loosen from pan. Slide frittata onto plate.
Enjoy! :-)

January 14th, 2013, 09:27 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
This is a new favorite:

Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes

Ready In: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
Servings: 5
"The secret ingredient in this flavorful turkey meatloaf is quinoa. Quinoa is nuttier than breadcrumbs and improves the texture of the meatloaf."

Ingredients:
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, chopped
1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon water
Directions:
1. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.
4. Stir the turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, tomato paste, hot sauce, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. The mixture will be very moist. Shape into a loaf on a foil lined baking sheet. Combine the brown sugar, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire, and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Rub the paste over the top of the meatloaf.
5. Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Let the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
JillMama likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

January 14th, 2013, 09:33 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
A vegetarian recipe!

Black Bean Burritos Recipe (from Taste of Home)

Prep/Total Time: 25 min.
Yield: 4 Servings

Ingredients:

1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Salsa and Daisy Brand Sour Cream

Directions

Place beans in a large microwave-safe bowl; mash lightly. Stir in the chilies, onion, peppers, oil, chili powder, garlic, oregano, cumin and salt. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until heated through, stirring once.
Spread about 1/4 cup bean mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top with 2 tablespoons cheese; roll up. Place seam side down in an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. microwave-safe dish.
Cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high for 25-40 seconds or until heated through. Serve with salsa and sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

January 14th, 2013, 10:24 AM
abur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I made these last night and DH about sh*t his pants I had to make the recipe I found my own, so here is what I used and did!

I also didn't realize this but they're completely vegan. I forgot that that's the difference between all-purpose and whole wheat flour

Whole Wheat Chinese Dumplings

Dumplings
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup cold water

Filling
3 scallions, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
3/4 cup frozen peas
Oil for cooking
1 tbsp soy sauce

To make the dough
In a large bowl, combine the flour and water 1/2 cup at a time and knead into a small ball. You may need more or less water judging by the consistency of the dough. It should not be too sticky or hard. Cover with a damp paper towel and set aside for 30 minutes.

To make the filling
Place all vegetables in a food processor until finely processed. Heat a small amount of oil in a saucepan to medium and add vegetables. Add soy sauce and cook until warm and fragrant. Place in refrigerator until cool (I placed mine in the freezer to expedite the process )

To make the dumplings
On a floured surface, roll the dough ball into a tube (think pre-made cookie dough) and cut 1/2 inch pieces. Roll the pieces into a small ball (about the size of a walnut). With a rolling pin, roll the pieces into 3-inch circles (they should be thin but easy to work with). Using cooled filling, place a heaping tablespoon of the filling onto each dumpling. To seal the dumplings, pick up the top and bottom of the dumpling and press the edges together to create a seam. Be careful not to let the filling seep onto the edges or the dumpling will not seal.

To cook
Heat a well-oiled pan to medium-high heat. Place the dumplings in the pan and cover. Take 1/2 cup water in one hand and lift the lid with the other. Quickly pour the water in the pan and re-cover. This will make the dumplings chewy and delicious Cook for 7 minutes until brown and turn over. (I turn them over a couple times because it is pretty hard to judge when they are done...plus they're more delicious when both sides are browned IMO )

Serve with soy sauce for dipping.
bryan and nina and JillMama like this.
#2 EDD: 10/05/2014

January 14th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I forgot that I had this WW crock pot recipe site bookmarked

Low Fat Crockpot Recipes
abur likes this.

January 14th, 2013, 12:16 PM
I found a crockpot in one of the kitchen cabinets Wish I had found it earlier! Would have been GREAT during pregnancy and the early weeks when Hannah was younger!
JillMama likes this.

January 14th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Drinking water and staying hydrated is very important to our health.I was looking through my recipe box and I have a recipe to make water "more appealing". I used to make this all the time but forgot all about it!

Herb-Infused Spa Water

2-2 1/2 quart pitcher
6 cups chilled water
12 thin slices cucumber
4 thin slices lemon
4 sprigs ( each 2 inches long) fresh mint slighty crushed
2 sprigs (each 2 inches long) fresh rosemary slighty crushed

Cover and chill at least two hours or up to 8 hours. Add ice before drinking. The cucumbers really add a lot of flavor and sort of over takes over. 12 slices is a lot so I would only do 5. I would put this water in my water canister bottle and it filled right to the top..perfect for on the go
abur, JillMama and Pageturner like this.

January 14th, 2013, 01:22 PM
^ Um, WANT that right now. Lemon is so good for you!

1. Boosts your immune system: Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds. They’re high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure.

2. Balances pH: Drink lemon water everyday and you’ll reduce your body’s overall acidity. Lemon is one of the most alkaline foods around. Yes, lemon has citric acid but it does not create acidity in the body once metabolized.

3. Helps with weight loss: Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. It also has been shown that people who maintain a more alkaline diet (see #2) lose weight faster.

4. Aids digestion: Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials. It encourages the liver to produce bile which is an acid that required for digestion. Efficient digestion reduces heartburn and constipation.

5. Is a diuretic: Lemons increase the rate of urination in the body, which helps purify it. Toxins are, therefore, released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy.

6. Clears skin: The vitamin C component helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Lemon water purges toxins from the blood which helps keep skin clear as well. It can actually be applied directly to scars to help reduce their appearance.

7. Freshens breath: Not only this, but it can help relieve tooth pain and gingivitis. The citric acid can erode tooth enamel, so you should monitor this. I admit, I’m slightly worried about it.

8. Relieves respiratory problems: Warm lemon water helps get rid of chest infections and halt those pesky coughs. It’s thought to be helpful to people with asthma and allergies too.

9. Keeps you zen: Vitamin C is one of the first things depleted when you subject your mind and body to stress. As mentioned previously, lemons are chock full of vitamin C.

10. Helps kick the coffee habit: After I have a glass of hot lemon water, I actually don’t crave coffee in the morning. This is weird, I can’t explain it, but I’ll take it.

January 14th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abur View Post
^ Um, WANT that right now. Lemon is so good for you!

1. Boosts your immune system: Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds. Theyíre high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure.

2. Balances pH: Drink lemon water everyday and youíll reduce your bodyís overall acidity. Lemon is one of the most alkaline foods around. Yes, lemon has citric acid but it does not create acidity in the body once metabolized.

3. Helps with weight loss: Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. It also has been shown that people who maintain a more alkaline diet (see #2) lose weight faster.

4. Aids digestion: Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials. It encourages the liver to produce bile which is an acid that required for digestion. Efficient digestion reduces heartburn and constipation.

5. Is a diuretic: Lemons increase the rate of urination in the body, which helps purify it. Toxins are, therefore, released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy.

6. Clears skin: The vitamin C component helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Lemon water purges toxins from the blood which helps keep skin clear as well. It can actually be applied directly to scars to help reduce their appearance.

7. Freshens breath: Not only this, but it can help relieve tooth pain and gingivitis. The citric acid can erode tooth enamel, so you should monitor this. I admit, Iím slightly worried about it.

8. Relieves respiratory problems: Warm lemon water helps get rid of chest infections and halt those pesky coughs. Itís thought to be helpful to people with asthma and allergies too.

9. Keeps you zen: Vitamin C is one of the first things depleted when you subject your mind and body to stress. As mentioned previously, lemons are chock full of vitamin C.

10. Helps kick the coffee habit: After I have a glass of hot lemon water, I actually donít crave coffee in the morning. This is weird, I canít explain it, but Iíll take it.
I drink hot lemon water too!!!
abur likes this.

January 14th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Fun fact about me.... I HATE lemon. So gross. Bleh. Lol
abur, Pageturner and Summerdays12 like this.

January 14th, 2013, 09:48 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
This is not a recipe per se, but if any of you are working moms, this was one of my favorite things to pack for lunch at work.
In the brown bag:
1 whole avocado
1 small tomato, or a serving of chunky salsa
handful of parmesan shredded or the kind you sprinkle
small pepper shaker

At lunch, cut the avocado in half, pit it, and fill it with the chopped tomato or salsa, parmesan, pepper and any other "fillers" you want to add (a squirt of lime juice is yummy too!). Eat it all directly from the avocado shell with a spoon. For additional tummy filling goodness, pair it with half of a whole wheat english muffin spread with one triangle of laughing cow cheese, and a glass of kefir in your favorite flavor (if you haven't tried kefir, it is extremely satisfying, and good for you!)

And since I am a snacker, here are some of my favorite healthy snacks:
Wrap one jack cheese stick, or regular string cheese stick in a slice of smoked turkey and eat

Slice an apple and top with a small sprinkle of brown sugar, a dash of cinnamon, and a teeny bit of butter (optional). Microwave for 30 seconds, or until the toppings have melted.

And for those with a sweet tooth, I have not tried this, so I cannot vouch for it, but I read that you can take a whipped cream canister and squirt dollops on a waxed cookie sheet and freeze them to make meringues...
abur, Pageturner and AltMommy like this.

January 14th, 2013, 10:50 PM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Super easy and healthy soup!

Boxed low sodium chicken stock
Fresh cheese tortellini (i get the whole wheat kind)
Bagged baby spinach
Parmesan cheese

Bring 4 cups stock and 1 cup water to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat, add a 9-ounce package of tortellini, and simmer until pasta is tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in a 6-ounce package of baby spinach and cook until just wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into 4 bowls, and shave or grate Parmesan over top. Serves 4.

This is just a super basic easy recipe. I usually load it with any veggies i have already and put a dollop of fat free sour cream on top
JillMama and Pageturner like this.

January 15th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Pageturner
Just created this morning: 2 eggs, beaten, with 2 tbsp Tostitos Cantina salsa, and 1 slice of fat free cheese. Scramble it. SO yummy. Only 5 WW pts. 7 if you have a slice of toast with it like I did.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search