OT. My 3 yr old and medicine

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2013, 07:14 AM
avaught's Avatar mama to sweet 3 yr old
Ok today is my 3rd olds best friends birthday party. It's at chuck e cheese and my son has had a cough on and off. And he has had a slight fever on and off. We tried giving him his medicine this morning and he spit it out. So we put him in time out and now idk if we should let him go to the party. 1) he was not behaving 2) I don't want I get other kids sick or get judged by parents If he's coughing. He does a good job coughing into his sleeve so I just don't know what to do

Thanks Tasha for my Blinkie!!
March 24th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Mana's Avatar Loving My Baby Girl <3
Send a message via AIM to Mana Send a message via MSN to Mana
I wouldn't not let him go because he spit out medicine, that's not a proportionate response IMO. Especially if it's some kind of syrup, I'm a grown woman and when I try to take cough syrup or Nyquil or whatever, I physically cannot swallow it. I gag and heave and if any makes it down I vomit. Plus it's vile and it takes me days to work up the nerves to even try.

Anyway... since he's sick, I don't know. It would suck to miss your friend's party because you were sick, but it would also suck to go to a party and have another kid make you sick. Tough call. Maybe ask his friend's mom what she thinks?

March 24th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Super Mommy
If he is just coughing, I would let him go. If he has had a fever in the last 24 hours, he is contagious and I would keep him home, as sad as it is. My daughter had to miss her best friend's birthday party last year because she had a fever. She was so upset and just cried and cried, but I thought about how upset I would be if I was one of the other kid's moms.

March 24th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep, with the fever I'd keep him home. It is unfortunate for sure, but you never know who those fever germs could accidentally spread to. Remember what makes your healthy kid a little ill could make an unhealthy kid or grandparent REALLY ill. Quarantine the fever, just to be safe to others!

March 24th, 2013, 10:14 AM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sadly, with a on/off fever, I would keep him home. I have a hard time with giving medicine to my 2.5yr old. If she's coughing horrible, to the point throwing up, then I force it down her. If its not that bad, I don't give her anything. Fever reducers only if she's really hot to the touch, if its mild, I let her go without that too. To me, if there's any type of fever, that equals "stay at home"! I would hate to spread any type of virus to anybody's kids, especially infants and old people.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search