Prenatal Vitamin Question

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2013, 07:34 PM
We just found we are pregnant with our first child (due at the end of November 29/30) and my doctor and nurse requested that I should be taking a prenatal with at least 1000mcg of folic acid. My current one only has 800.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
March 26th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So many foods have added folic acid that I wouldn't be concerned. Most bread products are enriched. Breads, cereals and other foods.

My OB says to take whatever prenatal makes me feel best. A lot constipate women. I take an organic one that my Chiropractor recommended when I asked. Its the one he had his wife on during her pregnancy. I have been on it for my last baby and this one.

My OB in the past has given me samples. Every prenatal will react differently, so its nice to see what makes you feel the best.

March 26th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I take women's one a day gummies bc they don't make me gag...400mg is the least amount you should be getting if you can get more great! but PP were right folic acid is in so many things...Orange juice, Fresh fruits like strawberries, you'll get it all in as long as the diet is balanced
March 27th, 2013, 02:17 AM
jennmommyoftwobeauties's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jennmommyoftwobeauties Send a message via Yahoo to jennmommyoftwobeauties
I cannot really swallow pills but do not really like gummies. Sorry was not trying to hijack your post.
March 27th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Super Mommy
I use the CVS brand! As long as they are made for pregnant women, you should be fine! Just eat healthy with it!

March 27th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep, I take Women's One a Day and an extra 400mg of Folic Acid as well. As long as you are eating healthy you and the baby should be just fine

March 27th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Super Mommy
I take the Citra Natal viatamins as the pill taste like a "whopper" piece of candy and it comes with a gel capsule that has a stool softner. I take my viatmins at night just before bed in case they are going to make me sick. So far seems to be working.

Our Tobianne 10/24/13

DS # 1 Jacob is 7 years old
DS # 2 Austin is 3 years old
March 27th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Send a message via AIM to jennmommyoftwobeauties Send a message via Yahoo to jennmommyoftwobeauties
So any of these pills small in size?
March 27th, 2013, 09:13 AM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennmommyoftwobeauties View Post
So any of these pills small in size?

I took chewable Flintstone vitamins with my last two pregnancies. Doctor said it was fine. I know other people take two at a time to reach the 800mg of Folic Acid but my doctor said as long as I was eating a healthy diet that isn't necessary.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

March 27th, 2013, 09:25 AM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle148 View Post
We just found we are pregnant with our first child (due at the end of November 29/30) and my doctor and nurse requested that I should be taking a prenatal with at least 1000mcg of folic acid. My current one only has 800.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Wanted to add!!!

Congrats, I am due at the same time as you.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

March 27th, 2013, 09:39 AM
suziequep's Avatar Super Mommy
I am taking the gummies this time around but with DD, I also took the Flinstones chewables. I think I also took an extra folic acid pill as well (they are tiny).

March 27th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Cool I will look into the folic acid pills when my husband gets home. I hate the flintstones and gummies. LOL! And the prenatal pills you normally get are so big I gag and it does not go down. I can look for some vitamins that are smaller in size and add a folic acid pill to my pills.
March 30th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks everyone! I finally decided my chewy vitamins I already had would work and FINALLY found some folic acid to add to it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search