Any Runners on here?

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By smileymom03
  • 1 Post By Lindz253
  • 1 Post By smileymom03
  • 1 Post By LuckyCharm
  • 1 Post By TeamNick

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So a few months before I found out I was preggo, I started running and training for a few 5K's, with my ultimate goal of running the Disney Princess Half Marathon next Spring. Well, while I'm not going to be able to do the half, I still want to do the 5K's. I wasn't a runner with my other 3 pregnancies, so I am wondering if anyone has any advice? My first 5K is April 20th, and hopefully my doctor will give me the go-ahead to run it.
The Aubrey likes this.

March 27th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
One of my best friends ran a 5k while pregnant. Maybe even a half too. It was earlier in her pregnancy, like not past the second tri. I think since you have been running prior to getting pregnant you should be fine. Also just listen to your body. I personally don't run while pregnant because when I trained for the 5 Ks I did my stomach would cramp bad afterwards and I would get runners diarrhea (sorry TMI) and have to go to the bathroom right after a long run.

And I would drink lots of water!
avaught likes this.

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
March 27th, 2013, 07:15 AM
The Aubrey's Avatar cw. piffle snot
I aspire to be a runner..and I'd LOVE to do some of the Disney runs!!! I did my first 2 5ks last Spring then injured my ankle in July and kind of gave up on running until December. I started running to lose weight and did well until that injury.

I started a weight loss program again in December and was doing well. I was doing really well running and losing weight til February when my weight loss slowed and stalled. I was so frustrated, then I found out I was having a baby so I understand why I wasn't losing like I had been.....I haven't been running since I found out but I look forward to getting back to it after the doc gives me the okay.

I don't know when I'll actually see my doc, so I've thought about just getting out for a jog, can't hurt anything, right?

March 27th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've slowed down until I see my doc as well, but actually got out and walked with my BFF last night. So at the very least I am going to walk until next week's doc appt. I felt great, slept great and even woke up feeling better than I have been, so I refuse to give up walking and hopefully not have to give up running.
The Aubrey likes this.

March 27th, 2013, 07:26 AM
The Aubrey's Avatar cw. piffle snot
It's truly amazing what it does for your whole body. I used to get terrible headaches and didn't sleep well at all and all of that went away when I was running on a regular basis!!

March 27th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Super Mommy
I'm a runner and plan on running as long as I can. I just ran a 10k race last Sunday. You really have to listen to your body. We're increasing our blood volume and our hearts have more blood to pump making cardio activities harder on us.
smileymom03 likes this.

March 27th, 2013, 09:18 AM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got up to a 5k. I switched to walking. Only because this is my 3rd pregnancy and I already feel uncomfortable in the lower belly region. I hope if I keep the walking up in 9 months I will be able to go back to running.
mindyjean likes this.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

March 27th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Bellrunner's Avatar Regular
I did a half marathon last weekend and while I felt exhausted, my training up until then had been pretty consistent. I think as long on you keep on eye on not ramping up intensity too fast, keeping your body temp in check (very important when it starts to get warmer out), and using common sense then you should be fine.

When in doubt, just walk!
March 27th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Bellrunner's Avatar Regular
I did a half marathon last weekend and while I felt exhausted, my training up until then had been pretty consistent. I think as long on you keep on eye on not ramping up intensity too fast, keeping your body temp in check (very important when it starts to get warmer out), and using common sense then you should be fine.

When in doubt, just walk!
March 27th, 2013, 10:42 AM
hotpinkheels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did a full marathon last fall and haven't run a whole lot since so probably won't start back up until after baby is born
March 27th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm a runner. I have all kinds of races I've already signed up and paid for. And I'm not going to get to do any of them! I have some unusual circumstances that make my RE much more cautious with me this time. Plus, it's twins, so I think that factors in too.. But with my previous pregnancies I was told maintaining is ok, training is not. Unfortunately, I always end up with hyperemesis gravidarum and can never run while pregnant anyway. Almost all the women on my running team have run full/half marathons while pregnant. A good friend of mine ran a 10k at 36weeks! I'm so super jealous!!! Running is my everything!! Luckily, I'm too sick to miss it too much at this point!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search