Does Breastfeeding while pregnant raise any risks to pregnancy?

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2013, 10:44 PM
My new pregnancy companion app said that it can cause miscarriage... this is completly new to me... ANY moms know anything on this topic?
March 28th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i have never heard of it causing a mc...I've known quite a few people to BF during pregnancy
March 29th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is my first pregnancy where I have still been breastfeeding, but that said my supply is almost gone.
There is plenty of into out there that says that breastfeeding whilst pregnant is fine. For me personally I didn't feel amazingly comfortable doing it because of the cramping I was having & when I had a bleed I cut back to one feed a day.
Maybe speak to your health care providers?

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3, DD November 2013
March 29th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've done it twice to twenty weeks. Baby was fine! If you have reoccurring m/c or a threatening m/c I would wean. A normal pg should be fine. My OBs were always fine with me continuing as long as I wanted. My milk dried up by 20 weeks and my baby was a yr old by then.

March 29th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
Dropping in from the April DDC. I've heard that it can, BUT I've not seen anything to back it up.

I am 38 weeks with baby #2. I nursed my DD til I would have been around 24 weeks. I did have more cramping but that was normal and fine.

My daughter was already on solids and my milk supply dropped to almost nothing when she decided to self wean.

I cant imagine that a healthy normal pregnancy would be lost by bf'ing
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
March 29th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Mana's Avatar Loving My Baby Girl <3
Send a message via AIM to Mana Send a message via MSN to Mana
The theory behind it is that nipple stimulation (including breastfeeding) raises oxytocin levels, which are what cause contractions, and contractions cause miscarriage. But if you have been breastfeeding and aren't suddenly picking it up after you've become pregnant somehow, your body is already used to the raised oxytocin levels. Contractions during pregnancy are normal anyway (Braxton hicks, for example) and don't lead to miscarriage.

If you have a history of miscarriage it's thought that breastfeeding may increase the risk, but I would talk to a lactation consultant or contact La Leche League before weaning to get an expert opinion (doctors are not breastfeeding experts).

Many many women do and have nursed during pregnancy with no problems, so unless you have risk factors it is not something to be concerned about Except maybe for your comfort, it does get a little painful

March 29th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Thanks ladies ... You opinion means a lot
March 29th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was still nursing my oldest when I became pregnant with my 2nd, and nursing my 2nd when i became pg with my 3rd. Both babies self weaned about 2 or 3 months into my pregnancy and I never had any issues. I also know quite a few ladies that nursed the entire way through pregnancy and even tandem nursed. I think as long as you feel comfortable, and you aren't having any other risk factors you will be just fine

March 29th, 2013, 11:26 AM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids were more spaced when I bf'd. (my first four kids were EBF). I would of definitely done this though, had I had the option with my last 3. (double mastectomy). Even with my history of m/c, I dont think bf'ing would tie into a baby that was not viable. Good luck, hope it goes well for you!

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search