Need A Sounding Board

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TeamNick

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2013, 09:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So with my boys they both had the cord wrapped pretty tightly around their little necks when I pushed them out...My oldest faired better than my yds...My yds had to be suctioned, bagged, and then ended up in the NICU....We knew with my youngest his cord was around his neck and everyone kept assuring me he would be fine etc....Well I feel like he wasn't. At this point I feel like demanding a section if the cord is wrapped like that again...I know it's longer recovery for me and is it surgery but I would rather have a healthy baby then one end up in NICU
April 1st, 2013, 09:56 AM
hotpinkheels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As a first time mommy I can only imagine how scary that must have been, but I have to say I would probably think the same way. Will they do a c section for you?
April 1st, 2013, 10:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
IDK if they will do it...I've had 3 vaginals but the boys had the cords and my last pregnancy was the one he ended up in the NICU....I just feel like I should persue it if I can...
April 1st, 2013, 10:11 AM
hotpinkheels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it would be something to have a serious discussion with your dr about.
April 1st, 2013, 10:14 AM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If your comfortable with c section, they should not deny it. Although cord wrapping is present in 50% of all deliveries, you should not have to fear this all over again. Im so sorry for the stress, all it takes is to be "that one time" to make us fear the unimaginable.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

April 1st, 2013, 10:25 AM
AmyKC12's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a first time mommy so I can only imagine how stressful that was for you! I would have a discussion about this will your doctor right away so you are both on the same page moving forward.

And one thing I have learned from several friends who have had c-sections....they are really are not THAT bad to recover from. All four of my friends felt like people scared them unneccasarily about c-sections. Sure, its surgery and harder to recover from than vagianl birth but they were all up and moving around, relatively painfree a few days later.
April 1st, 2013, 11:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think if this is something that is already stressing you out then you should definitely talk to your doc about it. Plus, I believe this is your last child if I remember correctly from another thread? I would be worried to ask for a c-section if it was my first and it wasn't absolutely necessary because if you want to have more kids I heard it can be trickier each section you have -- but since I think this is your last I don't see why it would be a big deal.

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
April 1st, 2013, 11:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
In the end, it's completely your choice. From experience, I found a c-section horrible to recover from. Much harder to take care of baby, and I'm quite lucky it didn't sabotage my goal to breastfeed.

April 1st, 2013, 11:55 AM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had 4 sections. They can be horrible! Also keep in mind that a csection has its own risks. My son was born and swallowed fluid, causing him to not breathe and had to be put in the NICU on breathing tubes and iv. Worse experience I've ever in my life dealt with. When your baby goes through the birth canal it squeezes all the fluid out of him/her. When it's born by csection it doesn't go through that, and they have a higher chance of respitory problems. My son was diagnosed with RDS, it caused him to aspirate until he was a year old and he had horrible reflux. He also ended up with rsv at 5 weeks and back in the hospital. I know it's terrifying to have something happen to your baby, and then to think of it happening again. Just remember these are freak accidents and something just as bad can happen from csections. Did your son show signs of distress during delivery? My sisters son did and they did an emergency csection and he had his cord wrapped around 3 times I think. So you would think the doctor should have picked up on something, like decels, during labor and then do a csection.

April 1st, 2013, 12:36 PM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Like TXMOM4 my daughter had complications after my c-section. She ended up with SRDS. So nothing is perfect.

I suggest that you weigh the pros and cons with your doctor and if you don't feel satisfied get a second opinion. That is what I am doing.
lil_fishy and Txmom4 like this.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

Last edited by TeamNick; April 1st, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
April 1st, 2013, 07:12 PM
Super Mommy
I hope that this baby's neck is cleared from the cord so you don't have to stress over taking that kind of decision.

April 1st, 2013, 07:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Very scary! I'm wondering if a compromise of sorts could be reached. See if you can get an u/s really late in the pg or even early labor. If the cord is wrapped around the neck, then opt for the csection. If not it might be healthier to deliver normally.

April 1st, 2013, 07:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
As scary as it is to have a baby need to go to NICU, a c-section can be just as scary, with many more risks than a vaginal birth. I had 2 very easy births and the cords were wrapped around my first 2 babies necks. No complications from that but my DD did have to stay in the NICU for 4 days due to severe jaundice. And then i ended up with a c-section for my 3rd. Let me tell you, I would rather have unmedicated, natural delivery any and every day over a c-section, planned or not. It was horrible! I feel like I missed out on the first few days of my DS's life because of being in pain or being on pain meds. And then when I got home from the hospital it was very difficult to take care of a newborn plus my 2 other children. No driving for at least 2 weeks, no lifting, etc. I am praying I can have a VBAC this time. I really don't want to go through another c-section. So please consider any other options before you decide. Can they do internal monitoring to make sure the baby isn't in distress? Can they have you change position to lessen the likelyhood of having the cord wrapped? I think there are many other options than just having a c-section IMO. I hope I didn't come off as being harsh, as every pregnancy and recovery is different, but I just want to make sure you have all the info you can before you decide. ~hugs~

April 1st, 2013, 07:57 PM
lil_fishy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DD was a csection. It was hard to recover from for me and I was not pain free for quite a while. It was a week before I could pick up my DD from her crib. I know that people feel the pain differently and I fully support you getting one if you feel it is best for you and your LO, I only want you to be prepared. You may find that you need extra support or help, so if your planning a csection, try to arrange for some additional help until you feel like you can do everything.

Talk about it with your Dr and see what their opinion is. Maybe as some pointed out, you can have an ultrasound late to verify cord placement.

April 1st, 2013, 09:26 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lori is right Nuchal cord is present in something like 1/2 to 1/3 of all deliveries, & C-section doesn't guarentee that baby is going to be ok & not have breathing/health problems. I have had two good friends deliver by C because they have had to, & their babies have had serious breathing issues. So it's something I'd definitely talk to your Dr about & weight up the pro's & cons. You've got to go with whatever is going to be best for both you & your baby.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
April 1st, 2013, 09:38 PM
Lauruh's Avatar Mommy to Miss. Fusspot
Send a message via AIM to Lauruh
This is something that I would wait until closer to delivery to explore fully. C/s have their own set of risks (which has already been mentioned) which can be equally as stressful for the baby plus there's the added recovery time for mom.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search