Scary Dreams...not baby related just need some advice

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ~Kris~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2013, 08:59 AM
NapturalBritton's Avatar Veteran
Not baby related...
My husband is deployed and lately I've been having really bad dreams that someone is trying to break into our house and my dog doesn't protect me. Last night I woke up completely scared like shaking scared. I'm not watching anything scary before I go to sleep so I don't know what's triggering it. Any advice?
April 5th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Veteran
I used to have bad insomnia due to similar fears. Do you have mental health coverage? It may be worth speaking to someone about it. Do you have a security system? Sometimes that helps as well. We've invested in a security system that has a key fab that we keep by the bed so that if anyone breaks in or we feel threatened, we can just hit a button and it will contact the alarm company and then police immediately.

For me, they eventually went away, but I remember the terror well! I hope you can find some relief quickly!
April 5th, 2013, 09:13 AM
If they continue I may go and talk to someone. I honestly feel completely safe as I live in base housing so I don't know what the dreams are saying. I"m thinking about getting a stun gun just something quick and effective I can have on my night stand. Thank you I really hope they go away because they're making me feel like something is wrong
April 5th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's pretty common in pregnancy to have weirder/scarier than normal dreams. I've noticed for me that if I am overly tired, my dreams are more odd than when I am getting a goodnight's sleep consistently. I hope they go away for you!
Books_kids likes this.
April 5th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Angelgirl30's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree! I have had more anxieties since I have been pregnant then I have been in years!! Good luck! And if you find anything that works let me know!

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!!!

April 5th, 2013, 11:08 AM
chelseamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had a lot of bad dreams ... Mostly of DF leaving me mid pregnancy or dying. It is horrible. I find it helps if I have a warm bath before bed. And NO ICE CREAM. The ice cream seems to trigger crap for me bad!!!!! When I eat Ice cream I dream about murder and death and everything morbid it's awful

Thank you to Vicki.. For my amazing Siggy

[IMG]
April 5th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I get nightmares every time I'm prego. That's always the first sign of pregnancy for me. I don't have any suggestions just wanted you to know your not alone.
April 5th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses. I did a google search, of course, and agreeing with what you all are saying it appears to be normal. I'm going to pay more attention to my routine and see if I can find a trigger. I love this group so much! As a first timer it's very reassuring.
April 5th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You are carrying a little life completely reliant on you! That's a lot of responsibility and you will feel protective!!! Its just the beginning of the mama bear instinct kicking in. It will get worse! I think your dreams are acting out that instinct to protect your young. Its very common and normal! If it starts anxiety attacks, then I would get help. That sort of stress isn't good for the baby! Too many stress hormones can negatively affect brain development.

April 5th, 2013, 08:37 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first DH worked nights for over 10yrs while I had my first 3 kids. I had OCD about the gas being off in the kitchen (would check it a million times, EVERY night before bed) if the doors were locked (checked them a million times before bed).....this was before, during, and after pregnancy's. Finally when the kids were older (but still young) I got a german shepard. Slept like a baby for the next 6yrs of his night shift. I think having a dog is a great idea. Just knowing that they will alarm any intruder within seconds (shepards can sense a non-family member from blocks away) is enough for me to sleep like a baby. Wish you were not so stressed out, and I wish I could say it gets easier, but having kids puts up the "danger instinct" like no other.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

April 5th, 2013, 10:10 PM
hotpinkheels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
From what I hear your subconscious is just processing through your feelings of vulnerability on multiple levels right now....pg, deployed hubby....big life changes/events which leave you susceptible to feeling very vulnerable. I hope you can rest easier soon. I agree with the dog idea
April 5th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have vivid dreams when pregnant too. The other night (morning actually) I had a dream that I was going surfing with that chick with one arm, and I went under a wave and all of the sudden I ran out of breath, and I couldn't get out of the water. I actually woke up because I heard myself breathing really really heavy, like I was gasping for air, and I am a light sleeper. One time I snored and woke myself up lol

April 6th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
It's known to have more vivid dreams when pregnant honey and these sound like anxiety dreams, just playing on your situation. Any chance of a friend or family member staying with you sometimes to give you a break?

April 6th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Good to know it may get worse, but my morning sickness seems to be getting better so I guess it's a trade off lol

I really didn't think it was pregnancy related, this is quite a learning experience

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search