Caffeine withdrawal migraines

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By SpankyMagoo
  • 3 Post By StacieRN
  • 1 Post By SpankyMagoo
  • 1 Post By StacieRN

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2013, 11:35 AM
jillygeek's Avatar Veteran
The last 2 1/2 days, I've experienced a migraine that was all too familiar. Yesterday, it was so bad that i took between 10-12 extra strength Tylenol. I was so worried about my baby, but the headache lasted through my sleep, so i had to do something... working in an office and having to answer the phones and look at a computer screen all day in a fluorescent-lit office didn't help!! I was in hell for the past two days! So, how does everyone else deal with caffeine during pregnancy? If I go without it for a week, I get a caffeine withdrawal headache for three days. So, I think that I won't even go without it for a couple of days... Tips? tricks?
April 18th, 2013, 12:02 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
Easy. Don't go without it. You don't need to go off caffeine while preggo. You just need to keep it to a low/moderate level. I drink at least 1 can of soda a day to keep migraines away
~Kris~ and smileymom03 like this.

April 18th, 2013, 12:08 PM
AmyKC12's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You can have up to one cup of coffee a day. Also, Tylenol doesn't touch my headaches. My OB prescribed Percocet, believe it or not. That helps to take the edge off.
April 18th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Super Mommy
You can have up to 200 mg of caffeine a day while pregnant and not be worried at all about it!! A regular cup of coffee has about 100mg of caffeine, where as a coke only has around 30-40. I have a full cup of coffee and 1 coke every day or I get headaches as well!

April 18th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think if going without caffeine for 3 days gives me that bad of a headache what will it do to my baby when he/she doesn't get it after he/she is born? I can suffer a headache for 3-4 days as long as my baby doesn't have to deal with a caffeine withdrawal headache the first couple of days they're in this world. I just plain don't drink it now. All babies exposed to addictive drugs, including caffeine can be seen exhibiting withdrawal symptoms. If you're addicted to it, your baby will be born addicted to it. Of course there are much worse things out there to do while pregnant, but to me, I'd take the headache any day of the week so long as my baby doesn't have to go through that! I've been caffeine free since my last pregnancy and the migraine lasted 7 full days will full on vomiting and shakiness. I feel your pain! The headaches are soooo terrible!!! Maybe weaning yourself is a better way to go?
~Kris~, mindyjean and jillygeek like this.

April 19th, 2013, 05:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would definitely have some in moderation.

10 weeks

April 19th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieRN View Post
All babies exposed to addictive drugs, including caffeine can be seen exhibiting withdrawal symptoms. If you're addicted to it, your baby will be born addicted to it. Of course there are much worse things out there to do while pregnant, but to me, I'd take the headache any day of the week so long as my baby doesn't have to go through that! I've been caffeine free since my last pregnancy and the migraine lasted 7 full days will full on vomiting and shakiness.

I know for 100% positive that this is not true. During my first pregnancy I was put on a high caffeine diet because of a 3 month debilitating migraine. My baby was not born early, in fact she was late. There were no complications. And there were no withdrawl symptoms. None. And I think that being on the caffeine instead of an untested class C drug was far less risky for my child.

Please do not let anyone make you feel guilty about doing what you need to do during this pregnancy. Low caffeine is perfectly acceptable and your baby will not come out jonesing for coffee. That's just silly.
GladToBeAMomma likes this.

Last edited by SpankyMagoo; April 19th, 2013 at 07:21 AM.
April 19th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyMagoo View Post
I know for 100% positive that this is not true. During my first pregnancy I was put on a high caffeine diet because of a 3 month debilitating migraine. My baby was not born early, in fact she was late. There were no complications. And there were no withdrawl symptoms. None. And I think that being on the caffeine instead of an untested class C drug was far less risky for my child.

Please do not let anyone make you feel guilty about doing what you need to do during this pregnancy. Low caffeine is perfectly acceptable and your baby will not come out jonesing for coffee. That's just silly.
Who said anything about a baby being born early? It is a highly addictive drug that causes withdrawal in any addicted individuals. Like I said there are much worse things to do and or take while pregnant. My premie son was given an injection of caffeine after he was born. I was not trying to make anyone feel guilty. But I have studied this. I do know what I'm talking about. My sincere apologies that I have obviously hit a sore spot. It was not an intention to make anyone feel guilty but to offer very true very real information that is documented and observed in numerous studies.
jillygeek likes this.

April 19th, 2013, 08:28 AM
outtheblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry. I've been drinking about a can of coke a day because it's been a big craving of mine. I woke up early this morning with a migraine and almost threw up because I was already nauseous. I've taken 3 Tylenol so far and it still isn't gone all the way, but better.

I have just switched to caffeine-free coke, though.

April 19th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieRN View Post
Who said anything about a baby being born early? It is a highly addictive drug that causes withdrawal in any addicted individuals. Like I said there are much worse things to do and or take while pregnant. My premie son was given an injection of caffeine after he was born. I was not trying to make anyone feel guilty. But I have studied this. I do know what I'm talking about. My sincere apologies that I have obviously hit a sore spot. It was not an intention to make anyone feel guilty but to offer very true very real information that is documented and observed in numerous studies.
You did not mention being born early, but it is considered one of the possible side effects of caffeine so I wanted to mention that it wasnt a problem.

My problem with your post is the absoluteness of it. You said that all babies exposed to caffeine experience withdrawl. It's simple not true. By telling people that they are going to have caffeine addicted babies if they indulge in low to moderate levels of caffeine, you are shaming them, and the statement isnt even accurate. As someone who was forced to deal with the during my last pregnancy, I also know a lot about it.

Jillygeek, talk to your doctor about getting accurate information on caffeine. If you can end up weaning off it totally, thats great, if you still need small amounts, that's absolutely fine too.

April 19th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd definitely see about weaning off some, maybe not totally if you can't live without, but definitely try to decrease it if you take in a lot normally.

If you do get a headache/migraine at work from the lighting, is it possible for you to wear sunglasses while working to take the edge off?

I'm not a coffee drinker at all and only have an occasional pop, but I certainly have never given up chocolate during pregnancy!

Tags
migraines , pregnancy , withdrawals

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search