Fifth disease

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Anyone have experience with this during pregnancy? My bil called this morning to let me know that my niece was diagnosed with it (I babysit her and my nephew during the week). Her ped said that I should let my mw know immediately as it can cause serious risks to the fetus during the first 20 weeks of pregnancy. I googled it (bad I know) and read some pretty scary things. It seems like the chances of contracting it and passing it to the baby are pretty low, but if that does happen it can result in miscarriage, several weeks to several MONTHS after exposure. And bil tells me his boss's wife had it while pregnant and was hospitalized so they could monitor the baby. I'm assuming everything is perfectly fine, but I'm freaking out just a little. Any help?

10 weeks

May 13th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have not but thats scary. Call your doctor and let us know. Isnt that the thing where it looks like you were slapped?

May 13th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, adults contract it as B-19? Or something like that.

10 weeks

May 13th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Nicole B's Avatar Mega Insane Mommy
I haven't heard of it but that's kinda scary. Try not to think the worst and talk to your doc about it.

May 13th, 2013, 11:26 AM
mindyjean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Both my boys have had it, so I've been exposed to it. It went around my youngest son's daycare about a month ago (so I would have been around 10 weeks along) and he got it, but I was okay. I just figured I would call my OB if I felt any symptoms. I hope you don't get it--I have read some stuff about it, too.

May 13th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Super Mommy
I worked in a preschool when I was pregnant with my son and a couple of the kids got it at school. I called my OB from the preschool that morning and she honestly told me to leave right then and stay away until it had cleared out. I want to say they also had me come in to give blood and make sure I hadn't contracted it. Just stay on top of it and don't be around them until they're all better and you'll be ok!

May 13th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That is a scary disease to be exposed to while pg! My cousins kids got it while she was pg and it was a huge deal. She didn't come down with the disease. Its like getting chicken pox while pg, but they don't test for immunity. I'd call your Dr immediately and not watch the children until they have been cleared by their Dr. You need to be very proactive! I don't want to scare you, but it is very serious! I hope you don't contract the disease. Its pretty rare for adults to get it from kids, but your immune system is lower while pg.

May 13th, 2013, 02:11 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most likely you yourself was already exposed to this disease as a child or adult. I have had 3 pregnancy's so far while my kids have had this. Dont freak out too much, chances are your fine!

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

May 13th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Veteran
I was exposed during my last pregnancy and I called my OB. He did a blood test to check if i had the antibodies(meaning previously had it) or if I had it currently. They both were negative. But at least I had some peace of mind.

[img]

10/2009 11 weeks
Chemical 5/2012
May 13th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was exposed while pregnant with my second kiddo, but my dr said since I had it as a kid that I was okay.

Hopefully you were able to talk to your OB!
May 13th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My whole household contracted this a couple of years ago, (so neither hubby nor I had been exposed as children.) Also my SIL & BIL BOTH contracted it & both of their children. Most of our kids were all relatively mild cases, just had mild cold symptoms & the rash, except for the pre teen who was totally wiped out in bed. But dh & I both got really sick. I nearly had to call an ambulance for dh. Adults don't generally get the rash, but they get really bad flu symptoms & can get incredible muscle pain.

And I don't want to scare anyone, but it is a condition that can be devistating for pregnant women. About 2 weeks before I got sick, a friend of mine already had it, & she ended up loosing her baby at 12 weeks. They initially misdiagnosed her (both of her children had it too,) & by the time they realised that it was fifths it was too late. If they had known earlier there was things that they could have done to save baby.

If you come down with any kind of flu symptoms I would be getting tested immediately.

Mama to -
DD15, DD14, DD12, DS10, DS5, DD2

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
May 13th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I thought I posted earlier but it must not have gone through, that seems to be happening to me a lot lately, meow! But anyways I was going
To suggest a blood test. I thought there was one but couldn't remember 100%, but it seems as though there is one. Request it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search