Circumcision...yes or no?

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree20Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Nicole B's Avatar Mega Insane Mommy
Yep.

May 19th, 2013, 08:10 AM
MarineWife_03's Avatar Super Mommy
DH is so if we have a boy I'm sure he will be too. To be honest, it probably won't even be a conversation, just a given.

2007- 3 Miscarriages -all reasons unknown
05/11- BFP
07/11- miscarriage #4-
12/11- first cycle to try IUI w/BFP
03/12- miscarraige #5 at 12weeks
12/12- miscarriage #6 at 8 weeks
May 19th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would prefer not. But my hubbie may argue with me on this one. However, he doesn't even want to talk about it unless we are for sure having a boy.

Heck, I won't even get my daughter's tongue tie snipped unless absolutely necessary (and so far, it hasn't been - she nursed fine for 2 years and her speech seems fine, at least the speech therapist for her soon to be elementary school thinks so). Even though the dentist keeps suggesting it every single visit.

May 19th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
No, I don't plan on it.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy
May 19th, 2013, 08:49 AM
mindyjean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had no idea what circumcision was until we were pregnant with my first son. Since DH is, we just made the decision that our son would be, too. So yes, both of our sons are, and if this one is a boy, we'll have him circumcised, too.

I am amazed at how controversial this topic is, because I truly think it is up to the parents and what's best for them. I truly don't care either way what other people do--it's a personal decision.

Cycle #1: Antagonist protocol. 150 mL of bravelle and menopur for 8 days. Added ganirelix 2 days before ER and triggered with lupron and pregnyl.

13 eggs retrieved, 10 mature, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 2 made it to day 6, both abnormals. No transfer.

We will cycle again-stims start September 6, 2014!
May 19th, 2013, 08:57 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes we will be. Luckily we did with our first. He ended up having to have corrective surgery on his penis at 7 months which we wouldn't have found had we not taken him to be circumcised. We did his circumscion then. Had we not done the correction he may have eventually peed sideways or had erection problems.
May 19th, 2013, 09:11 AM
outtheblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been torn on this...I have read horror stories on babies getting circumcized, but DH is circumcized and I kinda want our son to be, too. And I know DH does, though we need to have a more in depth discussion about it. Also, I have no idea how much it costs. Anyone? I know it isn't covered by insurance. Also, do you get it done at the hospital after they're born or do you have to wait?

May 19th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just had to add this in, I'm not Jewish (I worked for Jewish Israelis and my husbands grandfather is Jewish and my mother in law worked at the Dallas Jewish federation/foundation) but I seriously considered having a Rabi come circ one of like, because they say its so peaceful and they do it in such a way, that they don't even cry. It was brought up at the hospital last time and wasn't enough time to really put everything together so I decided to just let the doctor do it.

But I agree that to me I don't understand why it's such a heated topic. I would never condemn anyone for not getting it done, it's such a personal decision just like breast feeding or co sleeping of baby wearing etc etc etc.
And I am so glad that we have suh a great group of ladies that this topic hasn't gone crazy! I think it's great that we can all respect each others decisions

It was covered by insurance here, I think my friend in AZ had to pay for it, I'll ask her.
The Aubrey and Angelgirl30 like this.

Last edited by Txmom4; May 19th, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
May 19th, 2013, 09:39 AM
This topic got really heated in my last DDC because we had a few bad eggs who debated everything!!! If you didn't do things their way, you were a bad mother.
The Aubrey likes this.
May 19th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Erin1826's Avatar Super Mommy
Arg!!! I just typed a long-winded response and my stupid touch-sensitive laptop somehow backed out of the page.

Anyway, maybe it was too long-winded. I live in AZ, and DS was covered by insurance even though we did it out of hospital when he was 2 weeks old. It took us a little longer to decide because I did NOT want it, but DH leaned more toward doing it. In the end, I let him decide.

Since DS it circ'd, I'm slightly more torn this time but still would not if it was entirely up to me. Since I'm leaving the ultimate decision to DH, he probably will be if this one is a boy.
May 19th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Pink or blue we welcome u
I agree with Kalie, such a wonderful group of ladies.... we each have our our reasons and thoughts for or against circumcision yet we respect each others choices!! love this group!! just saying
Txmom4 likes this.

May 19th, 2013, 10:01 AM
I know state insurance, Medical, does not cover it here. Tricare does cover it and its done in the hospital if you deliver there. We deliver at a birth center where it's not done so we had to wait until DS was 6 months at least to do it. I'm glad we did though because by then a pediatric urologist had to do it. Our pediatrician said he did a great job. I have no clue lol.

With this son, if its not done the first 14 days of life then well have to wait again.
May 19th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Angelgirl30's Avatar Super Mommy
I just wanted to add that yes I LOVE this group of ladies. I love that you can talk about your religious beliefs or even the fact that you have none and no one gets offended or defensive!! I personally feel that EVERYONE has a right to their own belief and it doesn't make them a bad person or a bad mother just because it isn't what you personally believe!!! I love this DDC!!! Thanks to everyone for being so open minded!!!
Christina642 likes this.
May 19th, 2013, 10:49 AM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If this baby is a boy we will get it done. DH is circ'd and he would want his son to be also.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

May 19th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kris~ View Post
Yes, we will definitely have a baby boy circumsized. TBH, with my oldest I didn't even realize people (in developed areas of the world) didn't get it done.

So both my boys were circ'd. I agree with the others that I would rather do something early on where they don't remember it than to have problems develop later on.
Actually, the U.S. is one of the few countries in the developed world where people still routinely do this. They really don't do it anywhere in Europe. Our rates are more on par with those in Tanzania, Liberia, and other countries in Africa.

Map: File:Global Map of Male Circumcision Prevalence at Country Level.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Data: Prevalence of circumcision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelgirl30 View Post
Definitely yes. My DH is circ and my x husband is not. My ex used to complain about it all the time and he was looking into getting it done at 30 years old. He was upset that his parents didn't get it done at a younger age.

My personal religion calls for it as well so that plays in the decision and DH definitely wants it done.

I have seen small children go through it later in age and it doesn't even affect new borns so the sooner the better for me personally.
I'm not sure what religion you are, but the New Testament of the Bible actually forbids circumcision, which is something that most people don't realize. This is one of the many, many reasons we won't be having it done.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
May 19th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We will not be. When my first son was born my MIL was appalled that we weren't doing it. Mouth open shocked. A bit later I confirmed to myself that his latch was way wrong and we needed to get his tongue clipped. MIL was totally freaked out! I never could understand the difference in her reaction. One requires wound care while the other is a three second procedure at the Pediatricians office.

We have had to deal with an infection when my DS fought a diaper change while being watched by a friend. She told me about it immediately and he had to be subjected to antibiotic cream. He's been fine otherwise. My DH has a circ injury, but he doesn't know it. He thinks the difference is in the fact that the boys are intact. I've never told him as its not a big deal and obviously works! No point in making him self conscious. Its a super common injury and I have several friends whos boys have it. I never have to bother during diaper changes to make sure that their penis is pointing down. It normally lays pointing down for both of them.

I've known too many cases where things go wrong and healing is slow. I live in a 50/50 area. Insurance doesn't cover it in my state. That was the kicker for DH. If he had to pay, then no. So I got my way. This baby if a boy will be like his brothers unless there is a medical need to have it done. I think the kids male cousins are circ'd, but I'm not sure. I don't go around checking.

May 19th, 2013, 02:43 PM
elizabethchallis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes. I've asked my fiancé if it was up for discussion and it wasn't lol

6 weeks 10 weeks 4 weeks

May 19th, 2013, 03:00 PM
hotpinkheels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes. DH said he definitely wants it circumcised if it is a boy. We had to sign something at our FIRST appt saying if it was a big and we choose to circumcise we understand we will be financially responsible.

Personally I would be ok with either doing it or not... I know someone whose son was horribly burned/scarred but that was almost 18 years ago and as far as I know I think he is ok at this point.

It is such a personal decision... I don't think there is a right or wrong.
May 19th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Most definitely yes.

10 weeks

May 19th, 2013, 04:12 PM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, but mostly because DH is circumcised and would like any possible sons circumcised as well. I am deferring to him in this situation.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search