Name help needed

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CutlassDiva

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2013, 06:56 AM
Veteran
So my husband loves the names Aurora and Matilda. I like them both ok, but much more like the nicknames of Rory and Matty. I think this way both of us would be happy (which is unusual as we have very different taste.)

My paternal grandmother, whom I was very close to, passed away the same week of our egg retrieval and transfer so I would like to honor her in one of the babies names.

Her name was Gloria Delpha. Neither are names I love, though I would be ok with using Gloria as a middle name. Unfortunately, both of the first names for girls we like end in an "a" and I think it sounds funny to have an Aurora Gloria or Matilda Gloria (though Matilda does work better than Aurora I think.)

So, I'm trying to think of any other ways that we may be able to utilize her name and thought you guys may have some ideas.

I thought about Aurora Glo which is somewhat "new-agey" for me, but I like the flow of it. We also talked about Glory, but it seems a bit religious for our tastes.

Also - any ideas for boys names that would work well with either Aurora or Matilda?

Thanks!
May 31st, 2013, 08:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Was Delpha her middle name or last name? Did she have a nickname at all? Are you completely set on aurora or Matilda?
May 31st, 2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran
Delpha was her middle name.

We're not 100% set on Aurora or Matilda, but one is probably likely. (And if we end up with two girls, who knows!)
May 31st, 2013, 08:33 AM
chelseamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you thought about two middle names? So aurora _________gloria so it flows better ?
Btw aurora was on our list too it's beautiful

Thank you to Vicki.. For my amazing Siggy

[IMG]
May 31st, 2013, 08:50 AM
AmyKC12's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What about Lia as a nickname for Gloria? Is that too much of a stretch?

I think Aurora Lia is very pretty.
May 31st, 2013, 09:37 AM
CutlassDiva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Gloriann? Delphine? not sure if those would work to drop the a ending....

May 31st, 2013, 11:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a friend who named her dd Matilda and calls her Tillie. I thought it was cute, feminine and felt modern while being old fashioned.

What about combining the names. Delia comes to mind. You still have the double A sound, but I don't think its bad. I think Matilda Delia is really cute.

May 31st, 2013, 11:49 AM
seaside's Avatar Veteran
I actually like Glory and it didn't give me a religious vibe at all...

May 31st, 2013, 02:19 PM
Veteran
Thanks for the help, ladies. I can possibly see expanding the name as Paula mentioned and I'm not totally throwing Glory out yet, but we'll see. Until we know the gender of the other one (should find out Tuesday!) I'm trying not to think about it too hard! I have a feeling we won't make a decision until much closer to birth (or maybe even after), but who knows....

It just feels like such a huge decision!

I was checking out what people with certain names say they get teased about and now I can't get the idea of kids calling my daughter Aurora BOREalis or Aurora Bore-a out of my head! Or people roaring her name, but that one bothers me less....

Matilda didn't have that many negatives, just that people think of it as an old name. And I guess people sing the Matilda Waltz to them. I'm a little afraid that calling her Matty (which I LOVE) will lead people to believe her name is Madison or Madilyn and spelling the nickname Maddy, but I guess that's not that big of a deal.
May 31st, 2013, 05:05 PM
Nicole B's Avatar Mega Insane Mommy
I don't have any suggestions but I love the name Aurora!

May 31st, 2013, 05:25 PM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hate when people say bad things or negative things about the names I want to use, but my sisters name was April Matilda, she went by a nick name Tilly with some people, not me. But when people would her Matilda they would be like Matlida?!?!? lol I dont guess its a bad name, just not one I would use, and I really wish I could incorporate one of her names into my baby's name but dont think I will because not really a fan of either. Although my birthday is in April so that would be even more special.

May 31st, 2013, 08:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a friend that people called Aurora Borealis and she loves it. She's into science so it worked for her. I've heard of Delmy as a name?? Regardless both your name selections are pretty. She won't use her middle name much so the double As may not make a huge difference??? No help here.
May 31st, 2013, 08:47 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
Lurking here from December but Gloria has Lori in the middle. I think Matilda Lori is cute
May 31st, 2013, 09:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What about Dell, or Delphine? I think Aurora Dell is lovely and sweet, and Aurora Delphine is absolutely majestic! Gloria is a lot harder to work in awith a flow, but remember you're probably the only one who'll call her by both names.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search