Good lord babies are expensive!

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By shana1979
  • 1 Post By LABs

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2013, 02:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Last night, I went to Babies R Us to make a gender neutral baby registry (which was a mission in itself b/c there are so many gender color specific items) and my eyes bugged at the prices on the big stuff. Seriously bugged-- $129 for a car seat?!?!? Are you nuts?!?!? I remember when they were $60 and I thought THAT was too much money. And now I have to buy TWO of those things?!?! And a stroller...and one crib to start but eventually two...and two swings (my mom requires them if she's going to be the one watching them)...and...

That's just the big stuff.

Now I know I'll get some stuff at the baby shower but I doubt people will buy me the big stuff. I'm rather hoping for gift certificates/cards of $25+ since it's a gender reveal shower and they have no idea what to buy me-- cuts down on the pink stuff, which I don't want.

On another note: I'm having so much fun not telling people what the genders are, especially when the guessers get so frustrated with me. The people in my family are so sure I'm having girls since I'm no longer depressed (they didn't see me the week before the ultrasound). They are hanging on to every word I say, hoping I'll spill. My mom guessed it right today though but she would know because she was around when I carried my boys (in secret for 4 months each). She said I had to have at least one girl b/c I was dragged through the mud this time-- no way to keep this pregnancy secret. We had talked about the adoption thing and she's glad I'm keeping them; she didn't want her family to be cut off from family. She asked if anyone was throwing my shower and I told her I was doing it since I'm not that close with anyone. Then she said she'll do it. Whew! At least I know it will be well decorated b/c I suck at that. I showed her the centerpiece and I saw the wheels turning in her head. One thing my mom loves to do is shop-- oh and decorate.

Introducing the Minis

June 22nd, 2013, 02:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Its crazy how expensive things are! Times it by two and its crazy!
shana1979 likes this.

June 22nd, 2013, 04:07 PM
AmyKC12's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only have one cooking in there but I was surprised at how expensive things are too!! It's shocking!

There are a number of really good kid consignment shops around. Here, the best one is called Kid to Kid. They are really picky about what they take and everything is in good condition. That is where I plan on getting things like a swing and bouncy seat, etc. Then you can re-sell the baby stuff and buy the next round of things you need when the babies get older.
June 22nd, 2013, 04:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'll see if I can find a consignment shop then. I looked on Craigslist for the stroller and I can get one for half the price so that's good. But the other stuff, still looking.

Introducing the Minis

June 22nd, 2013, 04:32 PM
AmyKC12's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Once Upon A child is the other one. I just remembered it! They have strollers too.
June 22nd, 2013, 07:15 PM
FairyDustMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agrees... My heart goes out to twin mommas and I like to splurge on them a lil so I hope you get some of the stuff in your registry
June 22nd, 2013, 07:35 PM
Nicole B's Avatar Mega Insane Mommy
Garage sales and Craigslist is where it's at! People are dying to get that stuff out of their house once they're done with it.

Hope you get some nice stuff at your shower!

I also occasionally see some posts on FB online garages from twin mamas waiting to pass down what they have to other mom's expecting twins.

June 22nd, 2013, 08:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to checking out used stuff and looking for twin groups! Those mamas understand!
June 22nd, 2013, 09:20 PM
Angelgirl30's Avatar Super Mommy
I love love love garage sales, craigslist, and hand me downs!!! It totally saves me money and a lot of the stuff I get is very lightly used or brand new! I don't see the point in spending so much money on stuff that you will barely use! I also never shop at Babies R Us for that exact reason! Their stuff is like double the price just because of who they are. I usually do Target or Ross.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search