Cloth Diapering

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By MakeupMommy3
  • 2 Post By LABs
  • 1 Post By MakeupMommy3
  • 2 Post By The Aubrey
  • 1 Post By LABs
  • 1 Post By Christina642

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2013, 12:09 PM
MakeupMommy3's Avatar Super Mommy
Just curious if anyone is considering it. If so, why or why not? I've read that its much cheaper than disposal diapers. IDk, I just see it as an added inconvenience. With having to do laundry for 4 people already, I just can't imagine laundry for the baby and having to wash diapers as well. One article I read, this lady literally washes every night before bed. How exhausting is that? Do you think is it really cheaper and worth the hassle?
The Aubrey likes this.
June 26th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I find it more convenient! I do diapers every 3 days. My kids could explode out of any brand disposable! I figure I can do diaper laundry or kid laundry. I can't afford to have a big wardrobe for my baby or the time to make it! I've never had a blow out in cloth.

It is way cheaper! I make my own which makes it super cheap. They are way easy to make as well. For the price of 6 weeks of name brand disposable diapers (I'm going by the price 12 yrs ago for my oldest) I can make a three day supply of diapers (in today's money) that fit from 12 lbs until potty training. I also have a newborn set for birth until baby fits into one size diapers. Its not worth it as much financially, but there is still significant savings. Not dealing with blow outs makes it worth it. Not exposing my baby to the chemicals also helps. I have loaned out my newborn sets so many times I actually had to replace it! It was nice as moms could use their diaper money to buy cloth while using mine during the newborn period. Those diapers were used nearly constantly for 6 yrs and were trashed! I made a new set for my boys and after my twins use them, they will be loaned out again.

I never deal with diaper rash and my children have very sensitive skin and excema outbreaks. Never in their diaper region though. My kids Pediatrician always commented on how my kids had the healthiest bottoms in her practice.

I think it is totally worth it and its honestly not a big deal to wash them. I use disposable wipes too. They wash perfectly and I pick them out of the drier. I use little fuss diapers, so they are wash, dry and wear. Some people love pocket diapers, but you have to stuff the diaper. I'm not disciplined enough to keep up with that. My newborn diapers are fitted diapers with covers. My one size are my own version of an all in one diaper. I just shake the inside soaker straight and snap the whole thing together with one snap. I can do this all at once or snap it together right before I put it on the baby. Its not a big deal! They go on just like a disposable, but I like snaps instead of Velcro/aplix.
Christina642 and MakeupMommy3 like this.

June 26th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks! This gave me a clearer picture. I was thinking of the cloth diapering my grandma used to do when we were coming up with the pins and all lmbo! I'll do some more research and see what I find. This might just be something I can do...
LABs likes this.
June 26th, 2013, 01:25 PM
The Aubrey's Avatar cw. piffle snot
We won't and I won't consider it for the reasons you mentioned above....I just don't have the time! I'm sure there's a cost savings, but it just isn't worth it for me. I'd rather pay more for convenience.
shana1979 and MakeupMommy3 like this.

June 26th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Cloth diapers today are amazing! They go on just like a disposable! The first time others see them, they can think that they are confusing until they try it. Its very easy for husbands and grandparents to change them. My DH loves using cloth diapers! He can't imagine why anyone would want to use disposables in the first yr. He hates dealing with poop or mess, so changing clothes and onesie that got pooped on is up there in things he never wants to deal with. I don't blame him as its gross!

They sell all sorts of cute specialty items you don't need. Cute wet bags for your diaper bag for example. I use gallon size zip locks. I like that they are clear so I can see what I need at a glance. I air them out if just wet diapers were in them. If I see any poop I throw them away. I could wash them by hand, but I never do. Its rare for poop to ever get on them anyway.

Cloth is very trim and doesn't have a smell or feel to it. My babies fit into clothes just fine. They don't have huge bottoms, but in the newborn phase they do feel a little more substantial and it helps with proper hip placement and development. The thickness is 1/2 way between a dry and wet disposable, but it doesn't change when wet.

With cloth with a stay dry inner layer next to the skin, baby stays dry. You know when you take off a wet disposable and you can see the wetness on the skin? You never see that with cloth. The diaper is soaked, but their bottom is dry to the touch.

I'm a stay at home mom, so I have no problem throwing diapers in the wash every few days. Its not a big deal to me. I can't imagine the cost and inconvenience of using disposables for twins! When I have used disposables, I have put a cloth cover over them to catch explosive bf poop. So gross, but better than me wearing it! I never could find a brand that my kids didn't explode out of. I honestly don't do well with poop! I don't do well with smells either. Cloth doesn't have the chemicals and that is what smells. Baby poop has nearly no smell to it in cloth. I gag when I change my friends kids from the smell.
Christina642 likes this.

June 26th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am!!! I'm lazy and not starting till the baby is big enough for the one size though
MakeupMommy3 likes this.

June 26th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I asked my DH what he thought about it and he's totally against it. He said the ease of disposable diapers has him sold. Oh well, Pampers it is then. Besides, even if I tried it, I don't think I would have lasted that long anyway
June 26th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I used cloth starting with my 2nd kiddo. I have 2 sizes of diapers and can go 3 days or so before I need to wash. Honestly, with already doing other laundry it's not a big deal to me. The price of disposables is crazy! We've been buying them for my daughter, as she has chubby thighs and the CDs have been cutting into her legs, even though she's on the small side overall. She'll hopefully PT soon though which is why I haven't had my mom make a bigger size. I do use Sposies overnight and when we are out of the house. So far the 2 sets plus the cost of a diaper sprayer, Velcro replacement has still cost less than a year's worth of Sposies and mine have been used for 6 years!
June 26th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My mom suggested that I do disposables at first with twins because they go to the restroom so much. But I really want to try cloth diapering but only if I land this online teaching job so that I can be a work-at-home mom. Otherwise, disposable it is since other people will be watching my babies.

Introducing the Minis

June 26th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I already have a huge stash, so I really should be considering it lol!

DD was in cloth for a long time. Early in the pregnancy I switched her back in to sposies, just because with being so sick I couldn't handle the maintenance side of dealing with the dirty cloth.

She's still in sposies now, & I am hoping that she will be TT by the time the weather starts to warm up again, if not she'll go straight back in to cloth.

Mama to -
DD15, DD14, DD12, DS10, DS5, DD2

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
June 26th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Angelgirl30's Avatar Super Mommy
My sister has been doing cloth diapers. I am considering doing it but I haven't made up my mind yet. I don't like how bulky they make their clothes and think disposables look better on them. Maybe I will use cloth on days we aren't going anywhere and are around the house.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!!!

June 26th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I briefly considered it with my first, but honestly I'm too lazy. I have a hard enough time keeping up with laundry now.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search