Car Seat Info

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Do any of you have suggestions on where I can find current information on car seats. I don't want to go to those car seat advocate websites, they be doing too much, BUT my google searches are coming up with a variety of seats with different variations of safety.

When my son was born, the clear cut best one was the Britax; do any of you know if that is still the case.

While I'm waiting on responses I'll still be searching, just wondering opinions on the subject. I don't need cute, I need safe.
June 27th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Are you looking for an infant bucket or a convertible seat?

June 27th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was looking at a combo seat. One that goes from newborn to booster. I'm seeing the draw back is having to take a potentially sleeping baby out of it.
June 27th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Personally I think there are plenty of safe options out there that do not cost what a Britax does. You are paying for a name, like a Cadillac or Lexus! . All seats pass the same safety requirements. However, there are some cheap seats that kids will outgrow because of poor design, thus costing you more in the long run to keep your kiddo safe.

As far as a seat that can go from birth thru a booster, my recommendation would be a diono radian. If I were able to redo my car seat prchases, I would go with them. They are a heavy seat, but very streamline and don't take up a lot of seat room like soe others do. But I have seats that work ad aren't expired, so hubby won't let me buy new ones just because . And this seat is one of the more expensive ones out there, but as far as I know, the only one that can go birth - 10 years (as a booster only in the last 2 yars of the seat's life)

This link gives you more links where you can compare seats' measurements, which is very helpful for finding good seats.

https://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/

Last edited by ~Kris~; June 27th, 2013 at 06:49 AM.
June 27th, 2013, 06:07 AM
AmyKC12's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You could check out consumer reports (I keep trying to remember to do that.) I also check out the Amazon for the reviews.
June 27th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Super Mommy
We have a radian that we got with our oldest and it is one of the cheaper options when you look at how long it will last in height and weight. I'd agree that safety doesn't vary too much because of regulations but the amount of use will depending on height/weight limits.

With our first we also tried to go straight to a convertible and I found it was so much harder with a baby that didn't sit up. It's not just taking a sleeping baby out but you don't really have a place for them when you eat out or go grocery shopping. With the infant seat they can just stay in there and they make them bigger now so baby can stay in it a lot longer. My 14 mo is still using his infant seat and has about 1" and 7lb until he will outgrow it. I guess I didn't wear baby though so that could be a solution.
June 27th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I just checked out consumer reports, we have an online subscription. This is probably the first time ever I would disagree with their findings! For example, it rates the Cosco scenera as a best buy, but I find it one of the crappiest seats out there! It's one of those cheap seats that a kid will most likely outgrow by height by about 2-2.5 years old!

One of the things they are rating seats on is their fit to vehicle....um each vehicle is different! What fits in one car great might fit terribly in another car depending on the seat! They don't take the seats measurements ( shell height, shoulder harness height, etc)into account at all, which is a huge deal! When seats can vary as much as 3 inches in their harness height, that is a big difference in how long a kid can use that seat safely (as well as legally)

Car seat safety is a huge thing to me! I've done a lot of research over the years, both for myself and others. We've made several large purchases based on consumer reports, but I give them a big fail on this test!
June 27th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kris~ View Post
I just checked out consumer reports, we have an online subscription. This is probably the first time ever I would disagree with their findings! For example, it rates the Cosco scenera as a best buy, but I find it one of the crappiest seats out there! It's one of those cheap seats that a kid will most likely outgrow by height by about 2-2.5 years old!

One of the things they are rating seats on is their fit to vehicle....um each vehicle is different! What fits in one car great might fit terribly in another car depending on the seat! They don't take the seats measurements ( shell height, shoulder harness height, etc)into account at all, which is a huge deal! When seats can vary as much as 3 inches in their harness height, that is a big difference in how long a kid can use that seat safely (as well as legally)

Car seat safety is a huge thing to me! I've done a lot of research over the years, both for myself and others. We've made several large purchases based on consumer reports, but I give them a big fail on this test!
Thanks Kris! I tried to look at their review but since I don't have a membership I got nothing.
June 27th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Overall, they didn't test a large number of seats either, compared to how many are out there!
June 27th, 2013, 07:46 AM
CutlassDiva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have Radians as well (one for each car) that we have used since DS was 6mo old (he outgrew the snugride 35)...we love the seats overall, the only drawback for us was the weight so I just bought an evenflow maestro for him for airline travel (was not going to carry that lug of a seat through the airport)

June 27th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I found it very difficult to find a seat that truly fit from birth up. I borrowed a bucket seat from my bff until my son fit into the lowest position of his Britax Boulevard. Love that seat! We didn't use the bucket for long as he grew so fast! There is no way I could carry the seat around as he weighed so much. It was a Graco seat which I swear is designed to make your child's weight double! He hated the seat too. I bought a Combi infant seat for my fourth and I love the thing. It has the features of a Britax, but without the price. I can easily carry a large baby in it as well, the fabric is nice and breathable and it has a built in rebound bar. My humongous 15 month old could safely ride in it. Not that I could carry it, but it was an option. The seat fits a very small baby to a toddler easily.

The radian should fit a little baby. Look into the First yrs TruFit. That is a really popular seat. You would need a booster, but they aren't too expensive. The majority of seats with built in booster settings don't make good boosters from what I've seen.

June 27th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have the Radian XTSL. It has a narrow shell which is really great and it can rear face up to 45lbs which should last through age 3. When we got it (might still be true) it had the highest weight limit to remain rear facing which is really important IMO. It forward faces up to like 85lbs too, although I'm sure they'd outgrow in height long before then!

That said, we are going to use an infant seat for the first 6 months, it's just more convenient when they're so tiny!
June 28th, 2013, 06:09 AM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
A friend of mine is a car seat inspector and she said that the Britax is no better than a lot of other seats. You are truly just paying for the name. She recommended the Graco My Ride 65. Its mid level price and doesnt take up as much room in the car as a Britax.

It doesnt do booster though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search