I did it! But...

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By hotpinkheels
  • 2 Post By keokonek
  • 1 Post By hotpinkheels
  • 1 Post By Nicole B
  • 2 Post By hotpinkheels
  • 1 Post By Nicole B

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2013, 06:09 PM
hotpinkheels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I realized we need a MUCH. MUCH. MUCH. larger freezer... either chest or upright or BOTH. I basically just organized the two we had, switched all the meats to the deep freeze and all what I call "my" foods to the upright (veggies, freezer meals, etc). Problem is... THEY ARE PACKED FULL. This is not going to work with a baby, especially if I can *hopefully* have a little stash of breast milk...

So... now, onto Craigslist in search of some bigger freezers! We have room for them, so at least that isn't an issue.

Anyone else going to be stocking up their freezer with meals? I've been doing TONS of research on Pinterest and collecting recipes.... I would ideally like to have a pretty substantial number of freezer meals ready to go before baby comes.
The Aubrey and StacieRN like this.
June 27th, 2013, 06:18 PM
The Aubrey's Avatar cw. piffle snot
Freezer meals are so super convenient! We likely wouldn't eat much if it weren't for freezer meals and/or freezer prep!

June 27th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Super Mommy
Frozen meals prepared ahead of time always seems like a good idea but I never seem to get around to it.
StacieRN and Myopia like this.
June 27th, 2013, 07:44 PM
I am addicted since we have been using the ones I made back in May... so easy to throw on the grill, since that's what I did last time I prepped (all grilling meals). I want to get casseroles and slow cooker foods ready for fall!
The Aubrey likes this.
June 27th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Nicole B's Avatar Mega Insane Mommy
I need to do this so hopefully i will. Gotta keep myself fed when i'm home with the baby and DH is at work! I already freeze and store special breads i make, fruits and spinach right before they "go" and some breakfast stuff but i haven't done whole meals yet. And we have a huge chest freezer downstairs so there's really nothing stopping me................except myself!
hotpinkheels likes this.

TTC #3!
June 27th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Where do you get ideas for freezing? I've wanted to do this but can't figure out what's the right thing to do.
June 27th, 2013, 08:54 PM
I go to Pinterest and search "Freezer Meal Cooking" I found a really great link last night that lays out different steps for beginners... I will add it below here. There are some things I don't agree with- she recommends shopping a different day than cooking but at this point, it would be easier for me to go to the store, bring everything home, prep, and then bag.

Basically, you get your master shopping list (which she describes how to do) gather all your groceries, then do all the prep work (brown hamburger, chop veggies, etc) and then you label the bags... then fill with stuff required for the meal. That's it I also write (before I fill) the bags any additional directions or ingredients to be added...

Here are a few of my favorite links:
Life's Little Moments: Freezer Cook
baked in the south: 5 Crockpot Freezer Recipes with Shopping List
Freezer Cooking Days Coming Up | Life As Mom

If you want to know anything else PM me I'm still pretty new to this too but I love it!
The Aubrey and Books_kids like this.
June 28th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Nicole B's Avatar Mega Insane Mommy
I also really like this website: andreadekker.com
My cooking skills are pretty limited but I feel like a majority of her recipes are doable and the ones I've made have turned out super yummy!
hotpinkheels likes this.

TTC #3!
June 28th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We got our beef yesterday. 144 lbs of it. YUM!!! I have an upright freezer, because at the old house we didn't have much floor space left in the garage. Now after we get the 2 sets of French doors out of the garage (aka installed!) I want to get a 2nd fridge/freezer for the garage. The kitchen one is 'bigger" than our old one, but I swear I was able to get more in the old one we had. But I'm not about to replace a SS one in the kitchen when it works just fine, so I want a 2nd one for the garage. I have a feeling the freezer of that one might become our ice cream freezer. Yes, we LOVE ice cream around here!! And only Schwans ice cream!

I've never done freezer meals, but have thought about it. Just didn't get around to actually doing it!
June 28th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Oooh I'll look at that one Nicole The link isn't working!

Kris... we have a deep freeze, an upright, and the freezer above our fridge Our fridge, however is like.... MINIATURE. Like 11 cu feet. That's what was here when we moved in and we don't have room for a bigger fridge... it's a tight squeeze as it is now in the fridge!

That's a lot of beef!! I'm not sure what we get, but all I know is it's A LOT because it's always stressful making it fit!
June 28th, 2013, 11:20 AM
CutlassDiva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I am going to have to get on this bandwagon as well....except we don't have a large freezer at all....wonder if my parents still have 2 and would be willing to give up one?

we have a small one that holds our beef and a little more...but when we get our 1/4 cow it is pretty full....there was one at a garage sale this morning for $100....

June 28th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Yeah I know... I was going to keep my eyes open at garage sales. Are you in any for sale networks on Facebook? I'm on a couple and you can usually find good stuff on there cheap... kind of like a Craigslist.
June 28th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's a great idea! I've been contemplating doing this for awhile..but the freezer meals I find are not really very compatible with gluten free eating. Gluten free pastas etc. don't reheat well. I'll look at your links to see if there are some good options for me there! We eat out a lot...and I think this might be a solution to that problem!

June 28th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpinkheels View Post
I go to Pinterest and search "Freezer Meal Cooking" I found a really great link last night that lays out different steps for beginners... I will add it below here. There are some things I don't agree with- she recommends shopping a different day than cooking but at this point, it would be easier for me to go to the store, bring everything home, prep, and then bag.

Basically, you get your master shopping list (which she describes how to do) gather all your groceries, then do all the prep work (brown hamburger, chop veggies, etc) and then you label the bags... then fill with stuff required for the meal. That's it I also write (before I fill) the bags any additional directions or ingredients to be added...

Here are a few of my favorite links:
Life's Little Moments: Freezer Cook
baked in the south: 5 Crockpot Freezer Recipes with Shopping List
Freezer Cooking Days Coming Up | Life As Mom

If you want to know anything else PM me I'm still pretty new to this too but I love it!
Ok, I have some homework to do. Even got off my phone and on the big computer to research these links. My family will either love you or hate you (yes you, not me) depending on how this goes
June 28th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Stacie- I went to Pinterest and searched Gluten Free Freezer Cooking and found lots of stuff here are a few links!

Gluten Free Dairy Free March 2012 Menu | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

Recipe for Gluten Free, Sugar Free Saving Time & Eating Well – OAMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Books_kids View Post
Ok, I have some homework to do. Even got off my phone and on the big computer to research these links. My family will either love you or hate you (yes you, not me) depending on how this goes

HA! I offer no guarantees on the recipes as I haven't made some of these yet! I made the Cilantro Lime Chicken and froze it Six Cents: Crockpot Freezer Cooking 5

DH said that was one of the best things I had made in a long time. It was good! We served it with rice and in tortillas/over tortilla chips and added black beans, sour cream and salsa. Kept really well for a few days as left overs too.

I made a bunch of shredded chicken by putting like 6-8 chix breasts in the crockpot with some stock for like 8 hours, took it out, and threw them all in my kitchen aid mixer and turned it on with the paddle attachment. GENIUS. (Stole from Pinterest). It was super easy and super tender and well shredded!
June 28th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
YAY!!! You're awesome! Thanks!!

June 28th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I make them every time I'm pg, and then never use them! I keep waiting to need them. I think I might get more use out of them while pg. Only problem is I'm too tired now to do the work!

June 28th, 2013, 01:16 PM
You're welcome! I hope they are something that works for your family!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search