very scary article about the cost of pregnancy care in the United States

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Quantum_Leap

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2013, 08:17 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Does this article ring true for anyone else? http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/01/he...=fb-share&_r=0 It's very depressing.

Having gone through pregnancies in two other countries, I can definitely attest to this. The bill for the routine blood tests at my first prenatal visit here in the U.S. this time was almost as much as the total bill for my entire pregnancies in both China and Kuwait. And over there, they gave me ultrasounds at almost every appointment! It's insanity.

In my opinion, the entire health care system in the United States is marked by robbery, fraud, and distortion. There is no other industry in which you're expected to purchase something without knowing the exact price of it ahead of time. There's no justification for it, and, if consumers actually KNEW the prices of the things they were consenting to, they would certainly decline many of them. All of the secrecy and lack of transparency just lets the medical industry get away with (financial) murder.
The Aubrey and Angelgirl30 like this.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
July 1st, 2013, 08:24 PM
Angelgirl30's Avatar Super Mommy
I have worked for a doctor for years. They are allowed to charge more then what the actual item costs by 3 times. I worked for one doctor that might book a surgery and actually cost 5,000 but he was charging close to 15,000 for it.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!!!

July 1st, 2013, 10:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are estimating at least 6,000 with maternity coverage. We paid out of pocket for our first and it was $2,000. Our deductible alone is insane. The whole system is corrupted.

July 1st, 2013, 10:25 PM
Lauruh's Avatar Mommy to Miss. Fusspot
Send a message via AIM to Lauruh
this is sad. It is costing my friend $5500 to have her baby, only because that's the yearly deductible for her health insurance. In Canada we pay nothing except $70-150 a night if you choose to stay in a private room after the birth.

July 2nd, 2013, 06:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm scared what my bill will look like for the hospital birth. My portion since I had to be transferred last time from the birth center and had a c-section was crazy!

I will say, at the birth center, they are completely up front about the cost. They give a price for prenatal care and the cost of using the birth center facilities for birth. The only things not included in the cost are any testing and supplies (like fluids and antibiotics if needed) - they send the stuff out for testing, so they can't give estimates.

I'm not even going to attempt to estimate cost from the hospital. Last time, I had them put me on a payment plan, and I'll likely do the same this time. But it is all crazy! Which is why I saved almost 5k up for this child before we started NTNP.

July 2nd, 2013, 07:50 AM
AmyKC12's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is really sad. They need to put the hospital costs in all these pregnancy books I read. To be honest, my husband and I have pretty decent healthcare so the cost of giving birth didn't really cross my mind. That probably sounds nave. But I was thinking more about daycare and diapers.
July 2nd, 2013, 12:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The cost differs from state to state so much. And what insurance covers and your deductible rate. Our deductible alone is 10% of our income before taxes. Then we pay 20% after. The whole thing is insane and next yr our monthly rates which we can barely afford are projected to double. That's why we are having a baby this yr which will be a huge strain financially. By next yr there will be no way we could afford it. Then surprise, we're having twins! I have to try not to think about it or I get stressed out. Our healthcare system is going exactly where I thought it was and the people are going to demand government healthcare. Which is great only for the young and healthy. Well even then its not too great by US standards.

July 2nd, 2013, 12:29 PM
Mana's Avatar Loving My Baby Girl <3
Send a message via AIM to Mana Send a message via MSN to Mana
If I had to pay out of pocket, I would 100% without question have a home birth. I actually just made the decision to go with a hospital birth with CNMs because it's completely covered by our insurance.

But our healthcare system here is severely broken. It's just insane.

July 2nd, 2013, 12:57 PM
Super Mommy
Having had 2 in the UK and 2 here, in terms of amenties the US wins hands down. In terms of overall care.. sorry the UK has it. I liked having midwives. I never saw the OBGYN until I was overdue. They encouraged active labor unlike here where the first thing that they want to do is strap you to the bed!

I have my maternal benefits covered 100% and I used to hate my insurance but at this time..I love it. I also get breast pumps covered in the last two months but if I was paying like I had to pay when I miscarried.... it would be awful. The bills for that was over $3000. I saw people refuse iburofen because they didnt want to be billed for it!
July 2nd, 2013, 06:39 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myopia View Post
Having had 2 in the UK and 2 here, in terms of amenties the US wins hands down. In terms of overall care.. sorry the UK has it. I liked having midwives. I never saw the OBGYN until I was overdue. They encouraged active labor unlike here where the first thing that they want to do is strap you to the bed!

I have my maternal benefits covered 100% and I used to hate my insurance but at this time..I love it. I also get breast pumps covered in the last two months but if I was paying like I had to pay when I miscarried.... it would be awful. The bills for that was over $3000. I saw people refuse iburofen because they didnt want to be billed for it!
Well, yeah, because when you take an ibuprofen in the hospital, they can bill you $20 for it! Or $20 for a diaper. It's completely insane. When you look at an itemized list of medical bills, the prices just have absolutely no relationship to reality. It's criminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana View Post
If I had to pay out of pocket, I would 100% without question have a home birth. I actually just made the decision to go with a hospital birth with CNMs because it's completely covered by our insurance.

But our healthcare system here is severely broken. It's just insane.
That was the main reason we chose to do a homebirth with DS #2. It ended up being a wonderful and perfect experience for a thousand other reasons, but the initial reason behind the decision was financial.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
July 2nd, 2013, 11:26 PM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My husband posted this to my FB wall and I believe it! I'm not insured and am freaking out trying to figure out the best way to go about this. When my daughter was born, I was there for five days. I had two surgeries and she was early so they let her stay with me even though I had the complications. The bill was right around 30k! At the time my insurance was amazing so I paid nothing! I did get the breakdown and the negotiated price through the insurance company and they only paid 4k! It's just totally insane to me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search