breastfeeding

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree27Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I nursed my first with a cover. She never would take a bottle, so that was never an option. If I can manage to do it discreetly without one this time, I will.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy
July 5th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
In all honesty, I can't recall a single instance where I have seen a mom just :whip it out" or not do it modestly in public. I don't think you need to use a cover to be modest and I know some babies don't like things over their heads.....just like we wouldn't like to eat our meals with a head under a blanket. My kids didn't mind the blanket and I preferred covering my side so it worked for us, but I wouldn't bat an eye at someone doing it without a blanket. In fact, when I see a nursing mom, I usually offer a smile. Hope I haven't ever creeped another mom out!
July 5th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I nip with a cover AFTER I have found a quiet place to feed baby.

Threads like this have the potential to be board killers. The people who are full on nip think they are right and the ones who don't think they are right. It's like being a part of a political party. We all are only half right. Then we'll have the people who agree with the minority but won't speak up, usually that's me. I just don't like to debate because my opinion is right for me but not the majority and I won't push my personal agenda on others.

I'm definitely with the group of modesty, and I have seen nip where the people have full on removed the upper right:left quadrant of their shirts and pulled it all out. To the dismay of
Crowds around them. Once this lady did it in front of a carousel at the mall.

Imho exposing your full breast is a no-no and will not participate. Cover please.
July 5th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It depends. I usually used a nursing cover, or had a little scarf or blanket to throw over. In Seattle, public breastfeeding is pretty normal. However, I've definitely gone without- if I'm wearing a tank top with a shirt over it, the coverage is just fine.

The nursing cover was definitely better when SC got a little older (4-9 months or so) and was easily distracted by lights and surrounding. But then after that, she could and did throw it off. By 9 months, I carried a sippy in case she got thirsty on the go, and she was able to drink through a straw shortly thereafter, so I would let her have water.
July 5th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
@Kris- that is HILARIOUS. I know I've probably creeped moms out by smiling at them if they are breastfeeding... But I'm pretty much never without my little one, so hopefully it made sense.

And, in terms of modesty... it's also my (and DH's) preference to not expose my whole hooter, particularly because I have huge boobs (30G). But if it's screaming child vs knocker (like when we were on a plane and she kept throwing the blanket off), I figure the majority would prefer the latter! Haha!
July 5th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would usually go in the car or find a quiet place with few people around, but that's because of my personal modesty.

Whenever I see a mom NIP, I smile.

This time, I'm going to try a cover, and if baby doesn't like it, then it will likely be the car again - lol. Honestly, I prefer to stay home anyhow (when nursing or not nursing!), so it won't be something I deal with often.

July 6th, 2013, 05:08 AM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kris~ View Post
In all honesty, I can't recall a single instance where I have seen a mom just :whip it out" or not do it modestly in public. I don't think you need to use a cover to be modest and I know some babies don't like things over their heads.....just like we wouldn't like to eat our meals with a head under a blanket. My kids didn't mind the blanket and I preferred covering my side so it worked for us, but I wouldn't bat an eye at someone doing it without a blanket. In fact, when I see a nursing mom, I usually offer a smile. Hope I haven't ever creeped another mom out!
I have! Just once... most moms are super good at being discrete... but this one was so blatent it was actually hilarious. We were at a rest stop on the highway and a woman was nursing her baby on a bench. No big deal, her boob was just flopped out, but the baby was covering it. But then the baby was done, and the woman put the baby over her opposite shoulder to burp him. However, she didnt put her boob away! So she was burping the baby on her right shoulder while her left boob was just hanging there... She did this for several minutes and then put her boob away. She didnt seem surprised, so Im pretty sure she didnt realize it was still out there.

Very strange. Prolly my favorite NIP story.

July 6th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Haha! The exception to the "rule"!

You see so much boob with low cut shirts or yesterday I saw an interesting shirt where it only covered the front, then had a tie across the back ( and this girl was nowhere near in shape to be wearing that/exposing that much back/side fat), but somehow because a mom is feeding a child, people will call it gross or inappropriate, it boggles my mind!

I will say though, that when my kids get older and can eat some stuff like Cheerios etc, I make sure I have that kind of stuff with me to let them snack if need be. I find they are more squirmy when BFing as they get older, so nip might not be as easy as when they are a newborn. Also, if we are at a place like store that has a changing room, I'd definitely go in there, mostly because it keeps my other kids contained!
July 6th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
I saw this article posted on my FB this morning and thought it was very appropriate. It's a video of a British woman reciting slam poetry about her experiences nursing her baby in public.

Hollie McNish, Poet Shamed By Breastfeeding In Public, Has The Last Word (VIDEO)

Warning, the video includes some swearing.
mindyjean likes this.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
July 6th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Nicole B's Avatar Mega Insane Mommy
With Teegan i did not feel comfortable NIP (and by that i mean, plopping yourself down in the middle of Old Navy and feeding your baby sans cover. I'm saying that bc that's what i witnessed. NOT saying i object to it, it's just not for me.). So i would always worry about finding a private spot that doesn't mind me hanging out there for an hour (bc that's how long he fed for.)

This time though i'm definitely investing in a cover! And we're practicing using it at home until we've got it down because i am totally awkward and have already imagined a whole bunch of horrifying-to-me scenarios.

July 6th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
The people who are full on nip
Sorry, wha? I nearly snorted my tea out of my nose!

I'm a Mother, feeding her baby. I am not part of a militant movement!
SpankyMagoo likes this.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
July 7th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with y'all that a lot of women are growing up thinking breastfeeding is "nasty" and it kind of bothers me. My nephews mom was really skeeved out by the thought, because "that's not what boobs are for". Even though I was barely 17 when I had my daughter I knew I wanted to try it, and thankfully she was great and latched right on because I wasn't dead set on it and if she had put up a fight I probably wouldn't have done it and just switched to bottle and I will say with her I was very shy to NIP. Now I don't care at all. My kids see my BF all the time and since they were so young when the next was born, they would try to mimic me and put a baby doll up to their belly lol Parker would say, you gonna feed your baby your belly? It just is what it is. God made milk come out of my boobs for a reason, and what about dogs or cats who nurse their litter? That's never shunned or frowned upon, hey should human breastfeeding be?
Lotsakids likes this.

July 7th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotsakids View Post
Sorry, wha? I nearly snorted my tea out of my nose!

I'm a Mother, feeding her baby. I am not part of a militant movement!
That would've been a sight. I re-read what I wrote and didn't mention a military movement. I'm simply saying some people will agree and others won't. I'm simply feeding my baby as well and am such a breast feeding advocate. With that I do it a certain way, it's just how I am.

With that, I'm not clicking on this thread again. Can't be making folks snort tea out of their noses all day long
July 7th, 2013, 01:54 PM
I NIP'ed with my son, my DD was too small at birth and couldn't latch. Anyways, I was always discrete and you could not see any part of my breast at any time. I usually found a quiet place with very low lighting. The few times I got comments, I told the nosy person to cover their own heads while they were eating if it offended them so much.

July 7th, 2013, 02:25 PM
chelseamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
with garrett he was a hard to latch baby we ended up giving up after 3-4 weeks of trying i found out later he had a slight tounge tie that was not adressed. Lukas was perfect once he figured it out and i have rather large breasts so i did my best to cover what i could, and tbo the ONLY time it weirded ME out was in front of my dad!!!! and my grandfathers .... eeeepppp
specially my one grandpa, who has always been a little odd, came and rubbed lukes cheek as he was feeding.. LOL...

but generally i dont care, i just use covers when i need too. (i am totally odd about l;etting the men in my family see my breasts!!!! )

and let me just say i grew up in a fairly nudest home LMAO.. my mom STILL walks around in her undies when im over for a visit! im like "come on ma!!!! put some pants on !"

Thank you to Vicki.. For my amazing Siggy

[IMG]
July 7th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The Boobie Beanie: Infant Hats That Look Like a Breast! | Mama Knows Breast

OMG!!!!! This is totally hilarious!!!!!!
Lotsakids likes this.

July 7th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Haha Chelsea! I've seen my grandma and my grandpa in undies! Not uncommon for them to come in from doing chores and drop their clothes in the laundry room and then head down to the bathroom/bedroom area.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search