to buy or not to buy

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By shana1979
  • 1 Post By CarolinaMama
  • 1 Post By SpankyMagoo
  • 1 Post By LABs
  • 1 Post By Erin1826

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Erin1826's Avatar Super Mommy
Help me make a decision! I really love the print on this car seat.
Amazon.com: Graco Snugride 35 Infant Car Seat, Rittenhouse: Baby

It's on sale today ($60 off!). It's compatible with the stroller I plan on buying. I used a Snugride 35 with Jack it's super easy to install. And I LOVE the print.

BUT

My friend has a snugride 35 with 2 extra bases that I can have. It was purchased in early 2010 but doesn't expire until at least 2015, maybe 2017 (I have to check).

I should just go with my friend's right? There's no reason to buy the new one. We are definitely on a tight budget. Ok I think I am talking myself out of it. I'll still take opinions/advice though!
July 4th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I personally love that seat. But if your friend has one why not save your money

July 4th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Car seats are #1 on the things you shouldn't get used. So...I would just buy the one you want.
lil_fishy and Angelgirl30 like this.

Introducing the Minis

July 4th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Super Mommy
I love that seat and have used it with both of my babies. If you know with 100% certainty that it has never been in an accident and you know she bought it brand new, I think it would be ok to use hers. Even a small fender bender usually requires replacing the carseat, so just be sure!
shana1979 likes this.

July 4th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That seat is cute but if your friend already has one I say go with it. Maybe you can call Graco and get that cover for yours and it not cost as much.

July 4th, 2013, 01:07 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
I usually say never never never never get a used car seat. However, if you cant trust this person to tell you if it was ever in an accident, even a minor one, and it never has been, than i think youre ok with that one
shana1979 likes this.

July 4th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Accident, dropped, carried by the harness, straps put into water... You have to be super careful about abuse. I'd only used a seat that you have 100% knowledge of its care. If you don't, then that seat is super cute!
shana1979 likes this.

July 4th, 2013, 01:59 PM
lil_fishy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd buy it, but I wouldn't use a used car seat. If you decide to go with your friends, you might be able to get the cover for hers.

July 4th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got into an accident, I had a green light, it was raining and this teenage girl decided to turn and by the time I realized it I swerved but couldn't stop and hit the back, passenger side of her car, had I not swerved I would have t-boned her. Then she left the scene and it was a long process, but my car was jacked up in the front and on my passenger side the door wouldn't open because the front was smashed in but they told me it wasn't bad enough for them to pay for my carseats to be replaced and that they would be fine. Yet they paid for my rental car... (She was at fault for turning when she didn't have an arrow) but I thought they always had to be replaced, even in fender benders.

July 4th, 2013, 07:02 PM
If you are certain that your friend's seat is 100% safe, I'd say just use hers and buy/order a custom cover. Try somewhere like carseatcanopy.com - that is where my cover is coming from.

July 5th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It really depends. On a crash with that much damage I'd personally replace the seats. For taps between cars that jump you forward a foot, I'd be fine. Some seats have indicators that will show if a seat needs to be replaced. I don't know of any infant seats with this feature.

July 5th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Why can't you use Jack's seat?

If you feel you know the friend well enough to give you a reliable seat, then I would go with that over buying a used one. There are a handfull of people I know I could trust to give a properly maintained seat. But if you aren't 100% sure, I would get the new one. I love our snug ride!
July 5th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well what did you decide??

July 5th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Erin1826's Avatar Super Mommy
I decided to be practical and didn't buy the new one. The one from my friend is the same one I used with Jack. I know 100% that it has never been abused or in an accident. Maybe I'll try and find a fancy slip cover for it.
Christina642 likes this.
July 5th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They only use these car seats for such a short time so I say use the used one if it's never been in an accident.

July 6th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Nicole B's Avatar Mega Insane Mommy
I LOVE the damask print on that seat! Cute, cute, cute!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search