Is anyone else rather particular about what they like/don't like?

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Nicole B's Avatar Mega Insane Mommy
I'm not exactly sure how to phrase that. Also i hope this post doesn't make me sound like a giant un-grateful jerk!

I was mentioning before how I was a little bummed because i have lots of friends with older babies and no one has offered me any hand-me-downs. Well now i'm starting to get some hand-me-downs and i'm realizing......I'm a little choosy with my tastes.

Don't get me wrong! I'm super happy that people think of me and give me things.............but at the same time i can't stand anything with Winnie the Pooh (NO OFFENSE if you love Winnie the Pooh! I'm sure he's a great guy.) or/and i've done too much research at this point and get ideas in my head about specific features on baby items that i want.

Am i making sense? Is this a necessary post lol? Are you writing me off as a brat right now?

I was explaining this to my husband and he was just like, "Duh. You're crazy choosy." >_>

I mean....it's not a bad thing to know what you like right? Right????????????????

July 7th, 2013, 08:02 AM
The Aubrey's Avatar cw. piffle snot
I'm not terribly picky, but there are some things I don't like and won't use either....Pooh is one of them for me too! LOL. I was going through some old boxes and found some pooh baskets I got at DS's baby shower...they've been in those boxes now for 6 years...maybe I can re-gift them at this point?
Nicole B likes this.

July 7th, 2013, 09:08 AM
elizabethchallis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm picky too, its hard finding boy stuff I like.
Nicole B likes this.

6 weeks 10 weeks 4 weeks

July 7th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh my, what snobs! JUST KIDDING LADIES!!!!!! I think it's fine to be choosy! I am too.

I typically do not ever get anything with characters on it. In some cases it dates the clothes as well as I am not a fan of that plastic type print on stuff. The only exception I have made is I picked up 3 Snoopy shirts for my younger son that I found for cheap. My kids LOVE Snoopy, in fact the boys will recite entire scenes from it and they will watch the DVDs we have anytime of year. Christmas in July, sure! Oh yeah, I do have another exception, we happen to have a Winnie the Pooh overall style pants, but soft cotton material, not stiff kind of stuff. But it only has a tiny pooh on the chest and it's the older looking Pooh, a pale yellow, so it's not obnoxious looking.

I prefer onesie style shirts for at least the first year since I hate seeing diapers stick out at the waist when shirts ride up.

MIL will bring over stuff she saved from hubby and his siblings.....um yeah. The kids always seem to outgrow the stuff before wearing it.

I admit it boggles my mind when I see people who go so overboard with buying kids clothes to the point where kids only wear things once or not at all before they outgrow the stuff! I just find it really wasteful.
Nicole B and Myopia like this.
July 7th, 2013, 09:42 AM
outtheblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm pretty picky as well. I'm not going to guarantee baby is going to wear an outfit that you buy for them, lol.
Nicole B likes this.

July 7th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Add me to the club. I am always grateful for donations and won't turn anything down BUT there are things I just don't like.

Namely, anything with monkeys on it are a no-no. And clothes with a huge picture or words on the butt are a no-no as well.
3maybe and Nicole B like this.
July 7th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to the no words on the butt. I also don't like girls clothes that say things like I'm cute, I'm a princess, etc. or anything that is revealing for girls like halter tops, spaghetti straps, bikinis, etc
July 7th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I hate poo as well. There is a few things that I don't like but I'm not that picky. Maybe because my sister is who I share the clothes with and she always takes really good care of them and has the same taste lol.

July 7th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Erin1826's Avatar Super Mommy
No, I'm the same way. I don't like baby clothes that look more like doll clothes. I gracefully (and gratefully) accept hand-me-downs and then make two piles when going through them - keepers and Goodwill.
Lotsakids and Nicole B like this.
July 7th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm really picky. I won't put my baby in pants while small. Only footed clothes as I don't do socks or shoes. I can't stand a onesie and pants. During the summer my babies only wear rompers. Then add colors I like and its hard to find clothes. I'm much more picky for girls. I was picky for my boys when they were babies, but I'm a bit better now. There are still things I won't put on them. I bought a lot of clothes for my boy and the cast offs are going to my neighbor for her boys. I don't like sports or anything camo.

July 7th, 2013, 02:06 PM
chelseamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
dont feel bad nicole lol.. i have gone through all the haND me downs and have two bags of stuff for donation. Some is just not season friendly (christmas stuff size 9 months) but some was because it was blue... lol or looked too non girlish!

I have had blue and boy clothing around me my whole life! (remember, 6 brothers, 2 sons and a tonne of male cousins) so the fact that im having a girl.... OMG... MUST BE GIRLY! theres stuff with flowers and fru fru.. and lacey stuff, pink and purple... but no blue.. or green, or unisex!

as for winnie the pooh, im also not a huge fan but boy do i love disney stuff <3 minnie mouse till im blue in the face <3
Nicole B likes this.

Thank you to Vicki.. For my amazing Siggy

[IMG]
July 7th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Nicole B's Avatar Mega Insane Mommy
Thanks for not leaving me hanging ladies! I feel better now

I like Disney! Just not...to wear on the body i guess. Unless it's like Pjs.

July 7th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm picky too, but I don't generally get hand me downs. I say if you know it's something your not going to like, LIE. Say you already have it, or someone is getting you it new. If you were poor and couldn't afford to buy what you want, is day suck it up and deal but your not so don't feel bad!

July 7th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
I'm picky about a lot of things, but not about baby clothes. Honestly, at the rate they grow, anything you get is only going to be wearable for 2-3 months max, anyway, before they outgrow it. So even if it's not your favorite, at least they won't be able to wear it for long!

I'll get a few really nice outfits for photoshoots and stuff, but for daily wear around the house, I'm not picky at all. I just want something that's quick and convenient to put on them after they spit up all over the first thing. I've even been known to put pink/girl stuff on my boys (that I was given as hand-me-downs), when nothing else was available. Take advantage now of the fact that they're too little to complain about what you put on them! That's my philosophy, anyway. We get the cheapest stuff that we can at Goodwill, and save the expensive clothes budgeting for when they're older.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
July 7th, 2013, 04:35 PM
AmyKC12's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think there is anything wrong with being picky! We all like what we like and why not dress your kids in stuff you like while they are little? When they are older, we won't get a say!

I will admit, I love all things Disney...including Pooh Bear and especially Eeyore. The nursery will be Disney themed (sort of...I refuse to spend a lot of money on stuff you can't use and nursery stuff is expensive!). I also dig an animal on the butt...I got a cute onesie with a dog on the butt and it says "I Ruff You" on the front. But that's me and I AM kind of cheesey myself
hotpinkheels likes this.
July 7th, 2013, 04:42 PM
I am also insanely picky about what I like/don't like, which is why I am glad I won't be getting a baby shower. I don't buy something unless I love it.

That being said, when my older DS was younger, we were given a crib that has Winnie the Pooh on it. I personally cannot stand Winnie the Pooh. Instead of buying a new crib I am just going to refinish the one we have to cover up the characters and replace the little stuffed things on the mobile. Not sure what I'll put on the mobile instead, but it won't take me long to make them.

July 7th, 2013, 06:09 PM
hotpinkheels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep, I'm picky too... so far it has been great being gender neutral because my handmedowns have all been gender neutral since they came from someone with a girl AND boy, so I was able to choose pretty basic stuff.

I'm just gracefully accepting everything people want to offer, as I know they are trying to be helpful, but between home renovations, reorganizing and sorting through stuff I have a feeling some things may be "lost" I'm getting somewhat frustrated too as there are some things that I want to buy on my own/pick out. Know what I mean? I feel like that sounds horrible, and that I should be thanking my lucky stars so many people are offering me things, however... for me, as a first time mom, some of the fun is picking out my own stuff for my baby.
July 7th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum_Leap View Post
I'll get a few really nice outfits for photoshoots and stuff, but for daily wear around the house, I'm not picky at all. .
I'm sure people thought I had a third boy for awhile...she had so little hair and her play clothes for at home/at the school park after picking up my oldest was the boys old stuff. Out Goodwills don't sell stuff smaller than size 4 and I wasn't about to buy new clothes or even overpriced used ones at the kids consignment store when I had the boys old stuff! Some f it is getting real ratty now, but for the days we are out in the yard, she totally wears it!
July 7th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Super Mommy
I cant say Im too picky but I dont like white clothes. They always look dingy.
July 7th, 2013, 08:25 PM
slp2012's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm picky! I'm also picky about decor.
Nicole B likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search