Advice for traveling with a toddler? OT

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Erin1826

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Erin1826's Avatar Super Mommy
Since our annual trip to NC got cancelled, I decided to drive out to San Diego next week to see my brother and his family. It's just going to be me and DS in the car for 6-7 hours. He's 2.5 and I'm looking for advice on making this as smooth a trip as possible. I'll bring lots of snacks, and I was thinking about going to the dollar store and buying a few "presents." I was thinking I could give him a new one every hour. Any other suggestions?
The Aubrey likes this.
July 15th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What about going early enough where he's sleep for at least half of it?

Introducing the Minis

July 15th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Drive when he naps! In fact, when my oldest was that age, we used to leave for our road trips at around 10 PM and then drive through the night so that he would sleep the whole time. He was pretty unbearable in the car otherwise.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
July 15th, 2013, 10:07 PM
CutlassDiva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would third the plan at least part of the drive time during sleeping time....

July 16th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
DVD player! If you don't have a portable, see if you can borrow one! Do you have a tablet? There are all sorts of interactive games that my 2 1/2 yr old can play independently. You can put movies on them too. Dollar store presents are great! My son is totally into a family of rubber duckies I gave the kids for Easter. Magnet shapes on a small cookie sheet is a favorite activity. He loves the Leap Pad fridge letters, but that in the car might drive you insane!

July 16th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Super Mommy
I agree with the DVD player!! It is a lifesaver for us!! I also found some little "bingo" type cards with pictures of things you might see on a road trip. They came with a dry erase marker and the kids could search for the items and cross them off as we road! I think they were in the dollar section at Target?

July 16th, 2013, 07:12 AM
mindyjean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DVD player. It's the only way we survive.

July 16th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We also got a portable DVD player for dd for traveling. It was great. Emma won't poop while in her carseat so she was miserable by the time we got home. (We didn't realize that's why she was upset. Next time we'll have to take a poo break!)

10 weeks

July 16th, 2013, 09:14 AM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DVD player....I know some parents don't like to use them but for a LONG car trip we make and exception. They can buy you several hours if you break it up. Also I found that episodes of their favorite shows are more effective that one long movie. I also have a Toddler CD that my girls like to listen to.

If you kids get car sick make sure they take Dramamine if you are going to have them watching TV.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

July 16th, 2013, 12:04 PM
FairyDustMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I def agree with DVD player and purchasing or borrowing from library his favorite cartoon/show. Also you can break it up with coloring.. Buying him a new color book from dollar store and new crayons do the trick. Also I do sing along and teach her nursery songs and often that can make it more fun. Short stops to go potty, stretch legs, and pick out fav snack that they can eat in the car or at rest station.

To add.. If you are ok with MacDonald Happy meals and havin them snack on in the car that can work as well
July 16th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ours kids watch DVDs for part of the time, but we have also found letting them get out and run around every few hours helps a bunch too!
July 16th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think the ladies have it covered! DVD player for sure! I always bought little dollar store toy when my kids were younger too. New surprises always keep them occupied.

July 16th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Veteran
You're coming to my neck of the woods. DVD is our go to on long trips...
July 17th, 2013, 05:47 AM
The Aubrey's Avatar cw. piffle snot
The trip I just took was about a 12 hour drive (which took us more like 16 with the kiddos). The kids were older, youngest is 3.5. We did all of the suggestions above and had a great trip. I wrapped new $ store presents and the kids thought that was fun. I made them binders with coloring pages, scavenger hunt (with pictures) etc. Have fun!! Make sure you plan for a lot of extra travel time and take long breaks. We stopped for lunch at a park so the kids could get out and play for an hour or so.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search