VBAC Hopeful/Mommy Thread

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Aubrey

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok ladies, what questions are you asking your OB/MW? Even though this is baby #4 for me, it's my first VBAC and I feel really unprepared and nervous this time.

At today's appt I asked about turning baby if he is breech or transverse, since that was the reason for my c-section. I was told that as long as it is safe for the baby at the time (baby not wrapped in cord, etc) then he could attempt to turn.

I am also going to ask about any extra monitoring that might be needed, or having to go in to the hospital during early labor. I usually labor at home for a while (though my labors are pretty fast). With my daughter I was already at a 6 when I got to the hospital and she was born 40 minutes later.

What questions have you asked or anything else you have concerns about for labor and delivery?

Mommies that have already had a VBAC, any advice?

July 24th, 2013, 05:40 PM
BlessednHighlyFavored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I asked how long can I labor for before they cut it off for c-section.
as long as things as going in a favorable direction then I go for as long as it takes. Otherwise when desperate times call fo rdesperate measure.

My Ovulation Chart

I'm doing natural family planning
July 24th, 2013, 06:32 PM
The Aubrey's Avatar cw. piffle snot
I had my c-section for a breech baby too! They tried to turn him at my request while I was in active labor when I got to the hospital...needless to say, it didn't happen and it was the most painful thing ever. My OB now will be keeping a much closer eye on baby's position from about 35 weeks on so that we can catch it and try to turn her if we need to before I'm in labor.

I asked about monitoring too since the packet read "constant fetal monitoring" and I was worried I'd have to labor in a bed. My OB said that there is no way I'd have to labor in a bed, just that I'd have to have the wireless monitoring system on at all times (but it's waterproof and I can use the tub and everything!)

I too would prefer to labor at home (got to the hospital at 7cm) and she said that it's okay to labor at home for a while but she would like me to get there a little sooner this time around so they could monitor baby and progression. She said she'd like me there before 5-6cm this time around.

Other than that I just asked what the success rates were in my hospital, what her personal success rates were, and who is present during labor, delivery, etc. (I see a midwife, but because it's a VBAC I need to be observed by an OB so she will be "around" while I'm in L&D but said she wouldn't interfere if I preferred my midwife unless she needed to)

I'm not really too nervous about any of it. I trust my body to do what it needs to (since it has before, just had stubborn boy in there), and I trust my medical team. I'm excited!

Last edited by The Aubrey; July 24th, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
July 24th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm a VBAC hopeful as well! My last was sunny side up and stubborn.

One of my midwives told me about Spinning Babies Home and I also found this: MotherSpirit Article:* How to Prevent a Posterior Labor

There are exercises and such on both sites, and I hope to try to do them daily once I hit around 30-32 weeks to make sure baby is in the right position!

I also asked about the fetal monitoring, and was happy to hear it's wireless so I can move around and use the tub/shower. I also will need an IV in me right away (though won't need to be hooked up to anything).

They can't use pitocin to induce labor (more of a chance of uterine rupture).

I also asked how long I was going to be allowed to go overdue, and the doctor I'll be transferring to said she'll allow to 42 weeks.

The OB I met last week for the go ahead for a VBAC mentioned I should go to the hospital right away and not labor at home at all. I'll be confirming that with the doctor I'll be using when I see her at 30 weeks.

My midwife also suggested looking into ICAN: International Cesarean Awareness Network It's pretty much a support org for women who've had c-sections and they support VBACs. I don't plan to find a local support group, as I know how determined I am for a VBAC, but I know some women may need the extra support (honestly, I find so much support in this DDC already, and it's great that there are several of us VBAC hopefuls that can cheer each other on as well).

I plan to try my best to make sure baby is in a good position and do all that I humanly can to do so to make it so I can have my VBAC. If it ends in another c-section, I will at least know I did everything I could to have a vaginal birth this time around (I do think how I sat with my first had a lot to do with her being sunny side up, though I know I shouldn't blame myself!).

I'm a little nervous too, but I really think it is mind over matter for some of this, so we need to be confident in our birthing abilities and that we can do this! I would also recommend reading the book "Birthing from Within" - a great book to boost confidence, imo, which I read with my first and will likely read again soon!

*starts the cheering squad*

July 24th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to wish you all the best!!!
July 24th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck guys! I had my 1st csection because of breech position, my dr was sick and in the hospital so I was seeing NP and I told her I thought she was breech and she said no she's fine. Dr came back a week before due date and first thing he said is "I think she's breech but she's so big I can't tell which is her but and which is her head". They didn't even offer to turn her and I assume because she was 9lbs. My second my dr told me I could as long as he wasn't too big, around 36 weeks I got told he was too big. I wish she would have atleast let me try, but I think she was scared of vbac because her neighbor ruptured in the hospital parking lot. I would maybe ask if there are any reasons towards the end that they wouldn't let you even try, so that your prepared if they say something like size of baby. I really think you will be most successful with a midwife, I love my OB but I wish I had gone the kid wife route and I could have atleast tried and had the best chance at success. I hope you all get te birth y'all are looking for, but remember, getting them here safely is the main priority!

July 24th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Good luck with your VBACs! The spinning babies really works! I was able to turn my third. My others were all posterior.

August 7th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
bump
August 7th, 2013, 12:32 PM
AmyKC12's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Can I ask a stupid question..(Im a FTM). How do they change the position if the baby is breech?
August 7th, 2013, 01:17 PM
BlessednHighlyFavored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you might want to ask about eating in labor if you are up to it. I found out at the hospital tour that I can have clear fluids and soup,crackers, light stuff.

My Ovulation Chart

I'm doing natural family planning
August 7th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKC12 View Post
Can I ask a stupid question..(Im a FTM). How do they change the position if the baby is breech?

Depending on when they notice baby is breech, they can try different things. Before labor is much easier to do them in. You can maneuver/stretch in certain positions, use cold packs to try and turn baby. If those things don't work, ob can do an external version where they push/twist on baby from the outside. i Have heard that this can be quite painful! In labor, with dilation,they can try an internal version where ob puts hands up in your uterus and attempts to turn baby.
August 7th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Here's some statistics of risks associated with VBAC vs repeat c-sections that I found on another site.

Weighing the Pros and Cons of Planned Vaginal Birth after Cesarean and Repeat Cesarean Section

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search