No epidural...C-section?

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Txmom4
  • 1 Post By CarolinaMama
  • 2 Post By CarolinaMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2013, 07:42 PM
NapturalBritton's Avatar Veteran
I have a quick question, if I opt not to receive an epidural and end up having to have a c-section would they give me pain meds before the surgery or would I be placed in a position where I'll have to go through surgery without anything?
August 20th, 2013, 07:56 PM
The Aubrey's Avatar cw. piffle snot
You'll typically get a spinal block before surgery.

August 20th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
And if all else fails, they'll knock you out with general anesthesia. Which is the pits, but better than feeling the pain.

August 20th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If its an emergency where they don't have time to put in an epidural they would just put you under general anesthesia. They would never make you go through that and feel everything.
NapturalBritton likes this.

August 20th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep! The two options are general if baby is crashing, etc. Or, a spinal block which makes you totally numb from waist down.
August 21st, 2013, 02:32 AM
Super Mommy
They would absolutely NEVER cut you in half with no meds!! Don't even let that be a worry in your head!
NapturalBritton likes this.

August 21st, 2013, 05:12 AM
AmyKC12's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
THis is good to know! But what is the actual difference between a spinal and an epidural? Don't both numb you from the waist down?
August 21st, 2013, 05:40 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKC12 View Post
THis is good to know! But what is the actual difference between a spinal and an epidural? Don't both numb you from the waist down?
Yes, they both numb from the waist down, but an epidural is administered constantly through a catheter type hose inserted in your spine. This is how they are able to "turn it down" or off when you start pushing so you can get some feeling back. This is also why you hear about some women who started with a good strong epidural, but then move around in the bed and the tube comes out of your back or shifts, and it starts to wear off! A spinal is 1 shot of medicine that will last for several hours and then wear off. I *think* most anesthesiologists and OBs prefer a spinal, if they are given the choice. (Like if you have a PLANNED c-section), but an epidural does the trick too! I had an epidural with my 1st because I labored and pushed for so long, and then it was an emergency section. With my 2nd planned section, they did a spinal.

August 21st, 2013, 05:43 AM
AmyKC12's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah..it sounds like a spinal is much better. No needles in your spine for a long time.
August 21st, 2013, 06:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It depends on if it's really emergent. If it is they will sedate you and remove the baby as quickly as possible. If it's more due to failure to progress then yes, they'd give you a spinal. You'd never be feeling the whole thing though, that would be terrible!
August 21st, 2013, 06:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKC12 View Post
Yeah..it sounds like a spinal is much better. No needles in your spine for a long time.
The needle is actually only there for a short time while they insert the tube thru it. With my first I was super scared about it, but the relief it brings is worth it!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search