Favorite Freezer Meal Recipe?

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By FairyDustMom
  • 2 Post By CarolinaMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2013, 05:11 PM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was lurking in the Sept DDC and they have a thread on topic...so I'm asking...for those of you who do freezer meals, what's your favorite recipe?

I don't usually do freezer meals, though I will freeze meat or whatnot and then just take out to thaw...but I think with two kiddos and still trying to go to school full-time, it might be a really good idea for me to stock up on some meals, especially since dinner time is so stressful in our house!

What are some tried and true recipes that you ladies like?

August 25th, 2013, 07:54 PM
FairyDustMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Frozen pierogies.. make a bunch (they are time consuming) and then put them in a pot of boiling water or fry them.. kids love the ones with strawberries inside, potato or sauerkraut (my mother always used to make these and yum)
Erin1826 likes this.
August 25th, 2013, 08:09 PM
CutlassDiva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
excited to see what people come up with....I need to start thinking about this as well

August 25th, 2013, 08:40 PM
hotpinkheels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I made this... and I actually got one 9x9 hotdish for that night, and made a 9x9 freezer pan for a freezer meal DELISH!

being grown up: Million Dollar Spaghetti

P.S. I would maybe adjust/double the recipe because my pans could have been a little fuller...
August 25th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i'm gonna have to try that.

Introducing the Minis

August 25th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Things like lasagna, manicotti, enchiladas, meatloaf, chicken noodle soup and chili end up frozen here. Don't worry about cooking noodles. Stuff shells or layer noodles raw. Don't get the no boil kind, but regular type. Add a little water to the sauce.
I've been experimenting with crock pot freezer dump type meals. So far we've been loving them. I'm not able to stand and cook things, so the crock pot meals have been great! They were easy to assemble and heat up great! I've been meaning to freeze up a bunch of rice, but its not a big deal to throw some in the pressure cooker. I did manage to make a huge double vat of homemade chili and I have tons frozen along with huge baked potatoes. I read online that precooked baked potatoes warm up great in the microwave. I haven't taken any out yet.

With every baby I've precooked a bunch of chicken. I cube and pan fry then freeze. Then I have easy premeal starter meat to add to dishes. It really cuts down on time. I do the same with meatballs. I have them ready to warm in the freezer. I can make spaghetti, cream sauce or sweet and sour sauce quickly and have dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes.

August 26th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Great idea ladies! Keep them coming!

FairyDustMom--Do you have a recipe for the frozen pierogies? They sound delish!

LABs--what are some of your favorite crock pot freezer dump meals? I think this would be super easy too!

August 26th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Super Mommy
Got on pinterest this morning and this was a pin on my front page!

Life's Little Moments: Freezer Cook

August 26th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I usually haven't done meals, but I make and cook several meatloaves at a time and recently I mixed up about 6 lbs of taco meat and then froze that.
August 26th, 2013, 07:44 AM
hotpinkheels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMama View Post

THat's where Million Dollar Spaghetti is from She has great recipes

if you go to pinterest and search "crockpot freezer meals" you will hit the mother-load of recipes
August 26th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMama View Post

Thank you for the link! This is an AWESOME resource!

August 26th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So far I've been enjoying the pork chop recipes more than the chicken ones. The chicken might be getting overcooked though or maybe I don't care for crock pot cooked chicken. I have a pork chop dish cooking right now. I really like how pork chops cook up. I also like how beef cooks up much more than chicken does as well. Pinterest or a Google search will come up with tons of recipes to try. I'm still in my experimental stage with what we like. The idea behind them is great though and makes for easy meals. The prep was very fast as well. I didn't have any dishes with veggies in them due to not being able to use summer squashes, peppers or mushrooms. I prefer to make up a quick side veggie vs slow cooking them anyway unless I'm making a roast or beef stew. I really like potatoes and carrots slow cooked. Raw potatoes don't freeze well in my experience.

August 26th, 2013, 09:05 PM
FairyDustMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Strawberry pierogies
1 kg flour
1 egg
couple tablespoons of water
250 g strawberries
1 tablespoon of oil
5 tablespoons of confectioners sugar
200 g natural yogurt or sourcream

Wash strawberries, take out the green top pieces, cut into quarters or smaller pieces and sprinkle with three tablespoons of sugar
From flour, egg and water make a dough. Roll it out to a thin layer. Use top of glass to make circles in the dough, place strawberries on the circles and close the edges of the circles together. Boil water in a deep pot with a tablespoon of oil place your pierogies in the water until they start floating on top- that means they are ready to come out. Best to eat them while warm with yogurt.. if you want to freeze them skip the boiling step and freeze them ..only boil them when you are ready to serve
I know some people have them with blueberries or put potato inside.. whatever you like

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search