30 week Check (OBGYN)

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Txmom4
  • 1 Post By ~Kris~
  • 1 Post By LABs
  • 1 Post By ducksaresnazzy
  • 2 Post By GladToBeAMomma
  • 1 Post By hotpinkheels
  • 1 Post By shana1979
  • 1 Post By Christina642
  • 1 Post By momof8lopez

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Super Mommy
I had a growth ultrasound today and everything looks great. Baby has long legs, she is measuring at a high percentile for that and she weights 3lbs 3 oz. Right on target!!

Oh and head down!

My bp was a little high 140/80. MY Ob said we should think about induction at 37 weeks... so this will DEFINETLY be an October baby!

I cant say Im happy. I asked her what they use to induce and she said pitocin. That it I said... she said maybe they will break my waters first!

That annoyed me. I dont see why they are rushing to induce me. She said 39 weeks and now suddenly 37!! The baby is not measuring big. Shes on target. Yea my BP was high but its only high when Im there!
I measure last week 5 times in Rite Aid and I was 110/70.

Can someone tell me why I need an induction at 37 weeks?

She knows Im not going to go into labor naturally before 37 weeks...something tells me that I wont be there at 37 weeks for any kind of induction.

38? Ok I can do that but 37! Nah I want my body to go into labor naturally if at all possible!

Ugh
August 28th, 2013, 07:09 PM
FairyDustMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is the baby measuring big?
My doctor told me she is thinking of inducing me earlier but not before my due date since my last pregnancy my daughter was 8'11 and 10 days past her due date had to be induced as well- this time she doesn't want to wait that long.. not sure what that means but I dont think she would mean before my due date..
August 28th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That seems rather weird. You CAN refuse. Say you'd rather have an induction at 38 or 39, unless something changes and you'revactually diagnosed with pre-e or baby starts measuring way too big.

Sounds like your doctor is jumping the gun. Your body might not even be ready enough for an induction at that point!

Ask your doc why so early, at the very least.

August 28th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Super Mommy
I think its just a standard. She said 39 and now all of a sudden 37 as if it was a given. She said "I dont budge on this"
Oh well because Im not going to be induced at 37 weeks to convenience them or without a GOOD explanation!

My sugar is under control. My fasting numbers are high but the baby is not big...and yes high bp with no protein!

Im going to o do some research..
August 28th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm thinking its because of your BP. Usually if your BP is over 140/90 at or anytime after 37 weeks they will just induce you. Maybe she's thinking its not going to get any better. Maybe you can keep a log of your BP readings that you take at home and show her its only high when you are there.
shana1979 and Myopia like this.

August 28th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmom4 View Post
I'm thinking its because of your BP. Usually if your BP is over 140/90 at or anytime after 37 weeks they will just induce you. Maybe she's thinking its not going to get any better. Maybe you can keep a log of your BP readings that you take at home and show her its only high when you are there.

Thats what Im thinking too. The nurse that checked me first said it could be some kinda disorder where your bp raises when you get to a doctors office.

I checked myself 5 times over 30 minutes and I was 100/70 to 110/73

I think I will do this and bring it to her...because if that what is it... my bp is only going to raise in an induced labor.
August 28th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Weird! My BP was over 140/90 with #2, but with no other problems they never talked about induction. It totally depends on the dr! 37 weeks seems early if there are no major disks, which is doesn't sound like there are. I'd push to wait a bit longer!
Myopia likes this.
August 28th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd agree to an induction if your bp is high. I'd chart your bp to show its normal out of the office. If it was a true reading, then that isn't something to mess with! I hope it stays under control and you can bake her longer! 37 weeks does seem too early otherwise if you are both doing well!
Myopia likes this.

August 28th, 2013, 10:11 PM
ducksaresnazzy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
at all of my appointments, they have to check my bp after they find Eve's heartbeat, or else it's totally off from what it usually is. the first time i went and they used a doppler they couldn't find her so now i get nervous every time. but i calm down after they check her so they do my bp last. i think it's even written in my chart now. maybe doing that will help you too?
Myopia likes this.
August 29th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
They usually call that 'white coat hypertension' - when it's only high at the Drs office. It happens to my DH :\

If there is no protein in your urine and just a one time high reading it seems like they are really jumping the gun! Ask if you can wear a BP monitor at home maybe? A lot of Drs office have loaners that will record your BP over 24 hours.
August 29th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
One high bp read (and only slightly high, at that) wouldn't be enought to convince me to induce at 37 weeks. I would want a 24hr urine collection first. If you were spilling proteins, then you'd need to think about the induction.
daneeleigh and Myopia like this.

10 weeks

August 29th, 2013, 07:53 AM
hotpinkheels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would try and talk to them again and see if an induction at 37 weeks is really necessary. Everyone here gave you some good advice. Sorry you're having to start that battle!
Myopia likes this.
August 29th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Classy's Avatar Love my 3 girls!
WOAH! 37 weeks? Not unless its absolutely medically necessary. I'd ask for a second opinion or flat out refuse. 39w is the standard at most hospitals now, because of the high rate of C sections after inductions that are done before Mom/baby are ready and potential health problems some babies may face due to having immature lungs. Most hospitals have adopted a strict policy about it. I had pre e starting around 32 weeks with both of my girls but my urine didn't have protein til the last few days before I was due so even though I was disgustingly swollen and my BP was a little high they didn't even mention induction, they just put me on moderate bed rest at home. I went to term with both. Around 26w with this baby my hands and face got super swollen and my BP was high, but then it went away thank god, because my Dr was afraid it was starting already, and I wouldn't make it to 30w let alone 39. Now that everything is good again he agrees with me that we should to wait til 39 weeks to do it. In fact, we scheduled for 39w 3d.
August 29th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
3rd trimester, the bp doesn't normally get better but high I was told by my OB. So that may be why. But making you can talk her into 38. That way you can give baby the best chance at being ready. I don't understand why I have to do 37 either but by then I'll probalby be wanting to do 37.
Myopia likes this.

Introducing the Minis

August 29th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm actually high risk because I have a history of PIH and pre eclampsia. With my son and now this baby, they aren't allowing me to go past 37 weeks. Because of the prev C section, they are sectioning me because they can't induce me. The risks go up with each week if you have high bp/history of it.
August 29th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You couldn't pay me enough to let them induce me at 37 weeks. I had my son Wyatt at 37 weeks due to his size. They did an amnio before hand to make sure his lungs were good. HE was 9lbs 13 oz. He had so many apnea spells. We ended up in the hospital because of it. They said it was because he wasn't ready to be born so he was forgetting to breath!!!!

Also they can kick start a labor with Cervadil before going to Pitocin.
Myopia likes this.

August 29th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladToBeAMomma View Post
One high bp read (and only slightly high, at that) wouldn't be enought to convince me to induce at 37 weeks. I would want a 24hr urine collection first. If you were spilling proteins, then you'd need to think about the induction.
I did that a few weeks back and Im not.

I also tested negative for protein in my urine on Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina642 View Post
You couldn't pay me enough to let them induce me at 37 weeks. I had my son Wyatt at 37 weeks due to his size. They did an amnio before hand to make sure his lungs were good. HE was 9lbs 13 oz. He had so many apnea spells. We ended up in the hospital because of it. They said it was because he wasn't ready to be born so he was forgetting to breath!!!!

Also they can kick start a labor with Cervadil before going to Pitocin.

I asked about that and she basically laughed at me as if that wasnt going to work. I have zero intention of letting them induce me at 37 weeks. She did see as long as me and baby were ok. I swear its like they want to find something wrong with her to prove themselves right..
August 29th, 2013, 09:14 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My last baby was born at 37w3d. I went into natural labor with him and he was born healthy, but did end up being a very colicy baby. My dr. had proposed an induction with him at 37wks due to his growth scan at 28wks. He was in the 85% tile. I was not comfortable with this either, as I have had big baby's before (9 and 10lb'ers). We agreed to one more growth scan at 34wks, and he was back into a 70% group. At 37wks, he was born 7lbs6oz and 19.5 inches long. He is now 9months old and is in the 15% tile for height and weight!!!!! I think he is in the lower group due to coming so early. Out of 7 kids so far, he is the only one not to be over 50% for height and weight. His full biological sisters are in the 105% and 95% groups for height and weight.........I will never want a baby before 38wks again!
Myopia likes this.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

August 29th, 2013, 09:18 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One high BP reading shouldn't signal an induction conversation. I can understand her wanting to monitor it, but to say you need to be induced at 37 weeks for one reading at 30 weeks sounds extreme.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search