Checking urine

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2013, 09:25 AM
eab12191's Avatar Veteran
So I was wondering if this has been standard protocol at your pre natal appointments? My OBGYN has not once checked my urine or measured my fundal height of uterus. This worries me a lot because I already have high blood pressure and am taking medication. I am switching to a different doctor 150 miles away as soon as they call me to schedule an appt, but I was waiting until I hit 3rd trimester which is this week since the drive is a long one. We live in a small border town in Texas and the closest city is San antonio and is 3 hours away. But anyways, I just don't feel like my doctor takes anything serious and is way too relaxed with his practice.

With my son they checked urine every visit, measured my stomach. She may have been a little over the top about my BP, but I'd rather have that than miss something serious like pre-e.

Emily Bailey born 10/29/2013

August 29th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mine does check urine and fundal height at each visit. I'm amazed yours doesn't do either! I would switch also, but WOW that is a long drive!
August 29th, 2013, 09:30 AM
HappyBabyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor doesn't check my urine either. When I first got pregnant they checked it for infections and all that and I ended up having a UTI and got prescribed medicine for it. Well they never checked again to make sure it was gone or anything.

It kind of bothers me when I think about it because I thought we were really susceptible to UTI's while pregnant so why wouldnt they test us at each visit just to be sure?
August 29th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyBabyBump View Post
My doctor doesn't check my urine either. When I first got pregnant they checked it for infections and all that and I ended up having a UTI and got prescribed medicine for it. Well they never checked again to make sure it was gone or anything.

It kind of bothers me when I think about it because I thought we were really susceptible to UTI's while pregnant so why wouldnt they test us at each visit just to be sure?
I am more worried about passing protein and developing pre-e and not even knowing it. Since I take meds, that should keep my BP down some. It's already creeping up some. I have also had swelling in fingers and upper abdominal pain. It just amazes me that he's so chill about everything. But yeah UTIs are higher likelihood as well.

And yes, long drive!! I will be delivering at a military hospital down in SA. We are stationed pretty remote due to DH's training. We should be out of here in less than a year, though. He is just about half way complete. Since my doc is not referring me out, I have to pay all travel costs but it'll be worth it. To have a NICU there, lactation consultants, civilization. lol
shana1979 and Myopia like this.

August 29th, 2013, 09:41 AM
MakeupMommy3's Avatar Super Mommy
My dr. doesn't check my urine, but she does check my fundal height. They always tell me, leave a sample of urine if you're able and by the end of my appt, I walk out and forget. They never mention is at any other appointments and I always forget to mention it also. I guess, if it was really urgent, they would remember but its kinds weird to me for them not to say anything.
August 29th, 2013, 09:42 AM
hopingforbabymc's Avatar Finally Pregnant!
I get checked at the OB and at the peri. The OB never checks my BP, just weight. The peri does BP, but not weight. I was thinking yesterday that I've never had my iron checked and I think it may be low. I guess each office has different protocols.

Team BLUE!! Two precious boys born on October 28th, 2013.
Liam - 6lbs 7oz
Micah - 6lbs 10oz
August 29th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I did a urine sample my first appointment with the midwife and none after. Switched to the doctor at 30 weeks (since the midwives won't do VBACs at the birth center), and that first appointment I still didn't need to give one. I think I might starting in a couple weeks, though. Not sure.

Fundal height, though, has been measured at every midwife and doctor appointment.

August 29th, 2013, 09:49 AM
slp2012's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also have the same issue with feeling like my OB is too relaxed. My urine has never been checked, I don't get measured, she would have totally skipped over my Rhogram shot had I not asked for it at the appointment they TOLD me I would be getting it at, no one has talked to me about any vaccines or anything else that appears on my paperwork. It sucks. I feel like anything I bring up regarding wishes or concerns will just be brushed off and during my appointments it seems like they just can't get out of there fast enough.

It makes me sad because I LOVED her as my OBGYN, but as my pregnancy doctor, not so much.
August 29th, 2013, 09:49 AM
hotpinkheels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine does urine at every one, and have checked fundal height at last two only...
August 29th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Cupcake2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine does urine check and fundal height at every appointment. I would definitely switch even though that is such a long drive!
August 29th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake2 View Post
Mine does urine check and fundal height at every appointment. I would definitely switch even though that is such a long drive!
It will give me an excuse to eat chick fil-a and panera bread and all other yummies I can't have out here!! lol We usually make 1 trip down there a month, so although it will stink driving that weekly for the last weeks it will only be temporary, right? And it'll give me peace of mind. I hope DH can come with me to some appointments.
Cupcake2 likes this.

August 29th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Cupcake2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eab12191 View Post
It will give me an excuse to eat chick fil-a and panera bread and all other yummies I can't have out here!! lol We usually make 1 trip down there a month, so although it will stink driving that weekly for the last weeks it will only be temporary, right? And it'll give me peace of mind. I hope DH can come with me to some appointments.
Lol well then the drive will totally be worth it! Chick Fil A and Panera are two of my favorite places to eat! I would switch for the peace of mind too.
shana1979 likes this.
August 29th, 2013, 11:36 AM
ducksaresnazzy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
mine has consistently done a urine check. they only just started measuring me since i starting showing, but before that, they felt for it and guesstimated i was on track. i'd think it was a little weird if they didn't do urine checks, even though i have no idea what they're testing for, they do them every time and if they stopped asking i'd be concerned.
August 29th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
B/c of my bp issue (on meds too) I get my urine checked every visit. Only for the last two visits has my dr measured for height, just feeling for it at the top with his hands so I don't have the typical rounded belly yet.

They really should be checking you to make sure protein isn't spilling as you said. When you switch, make sure you mention it to your new OB if they don't bring it up.

Introducing the Minis

August 29th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I get my urine checked, blood pressure, weight and measured at every appt. It has always been a standard at all my appts with all my kids.

August 29th, 2013, 01:02 PM
robynpuff79's Avatar Veteran
I was wondering the same thing recently. My OB has yet to check my urine, besides the initial visit way back in February. At my last visit she pressed my stomach at different spots to show me that baby was measuring correctly, though to be honest i didn't really show me anything! I am going to ask about the fundal height when I go back in 2 weeks.

I also thought @ 30 weeks I'd be going every 2 weeks at least, but I was told at my last visit to schedule the next one in a month.

August 29th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Erin1826's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpinkheels View Post
Mine does urine at every one, and have checked fundal height at last two only...
Same for me.
August 29th, 2013, 05:25 PM
FairyDustMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine has been checking urine every appointment. I don't get my fundal measurements but must vary between doctors. I def think if you can its worth the trip elsewhere for peace of mind
August 29th, 2013, 06:35 PM
outtheblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have given a urine sample at every appt, and at the 28 week appt they started measuring my belly, and will be doing so each time now.

August 29th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Super Mommy
They always check my urine in all my pregnancies. I would have thought it was protocol especially with high blood pressure.

I got measured once but other than that.... nopes

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search