so i've made my decision

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree16Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2013, 04:58 PM
ducksaresnazzy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i'm going to pump. breastfeeding is still weird to me, but i do really want Eve to get the good stuff breast milk provides, so i'm registering for a pump. plus, Nate thinks if i'm breastfeeding, he won't have to help feed her in the middle of the night. i want her to bond with both of us, and don't want to hog all of her attention by being her only food source.

my question: which do you recommend? manual, dual, electric, specific brands..? is there a certain type that's easiest for beginners (which i totally am)?

(i know it's been discussed, but since i wasn't completely sure i wanted to, i didn't really pay attention to the thread:/)
September 1st, 2013, 05:04 PM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pumping is going to be hard, it's not fun to pump and then also have to feed. But you can do it!! Since you will exclusively pump I recommend a double electric. I used an Ameda Purely Yours and I liked it just fine, but I hated pumping so I didn't use it much. Check with your insurance, they are required to pay for your breast pump or check with WIC, I heard they give you one too if you breastfed. I don't know the stipulations around that but at least check into it.

September 1st, 2013, 05:06 PM
FairyDustMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have the Medela double electric the only complaint is that it takes longer to pump then breast feeding and its loud.
September 1st, 2013, 05:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You can totally pump! I'd get a double electric one. Pumping takes way longer than bfing does. To build up your supply, you'll need to wake up to pump at least in the beginning months. So you can pump while Nate feeds her. Its a lot of work, but I've known mothers who have successfully done it for personal and medical reasons. You should be able to get a pump through your insurance.

September 1st, 2013, 05:30 PM
wic will offer me a used pump, which i would prefer to use as a last resort.. the idea of a used pump by some i don't know is unsettling .-.
September 1st, 2013, 05:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Look into your insurance. I need to do the same thing. Some require a prescription from your OB. Then you get it at a medical supply place. With twins I might have to pump at first until they can latch properly. Honestly bfing seems weird at first if you haven't been around it before. Its so convenient!!!! Pumping is doable, but takes a huge commitment to succeed. Its worth it, but you could pump part time for work. Daddy can have a close bond without ever feeding her! My DH as a baby was Daddies boy. Sadly he wanted nothing to do with his mom and she exclusively bf him. His dad would bring him to his mom for feeding and would only settle down if my FIL burped him and took him back to his crib. He would only put up with his mom if dad wasn't available. Now I would have never put up with that, but my MIL isn't the most maternal person. All of the grandkids pick grandpa over grandma. Anyway, my point is there are much better ways to bond with your baby that doesn't involve feeding. I've always exclusively bf and find playing and cuddling with my baby to be a much better bonding experience then feeding. Bfind isn't as interactive for me. With an older baby you basically need to ignore them while they eat so they will eat!
Txmom4 and Myopia like this.

September 1st, 2013, 06:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksaresnazzy View Post
wic will offer me a used pump, which i would prefer to use as a last resort.. the idea of a used pump by some i don't know is unsettling .-.
Usually you just buy new attachments - tubes, breast shields, and then there's one other small little part.

The motor may be used, but the attachments aren't too bad of a price, so those would be new.

If exclusively pumping, do a double electric. Medela is great. I just got my pump for free last week through insurance (though they gave me the Advanced one and not the Pump In Style, so I don't have the battery connector and can only plug into a wall - not major for me though, since I'll mostly be BFing).

September 1st, 2013, 06:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You can pump but I truly think that starting out that route is more likely to fail than just breastfeeding.

Getting up in the middle of the night to warm up a bottle is a pain in the hiney. It's so easy to just wake up and put the baby to the breast.
Myopia likes this.
September 1st, 2013, 07:09 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I ended up exclusively pumping after my son turned four or five months. I definitely think you need a double electric If you exclusively pump. I pumped and bfed in th beginning and I had to wake up throughout the night initially to keep from being engorged. That went away after a few weeks. You can absolutely successfully pump exclusively. I know several women who did it.
September 1st, 2013, 07:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to the recommendation to have a double electric pump. I also agree that pumping is SO much harder than actual BFing. I had to do it with my oldest because he had a tongue tie and couldn't latch or suck well. We had to wait a few weeks for all the insurance stuff to get sorted out so he could get it clipped, but by then he was very used to the bottle (since I had never BFed before, it was overwhelming trying to get him to do it even after the clipping and too many tears from both of us led me to keep pumping, though I think if he hadn't been my first BF experience, I could have worked thru it)

Pumping and feeding is MORE than DOUBLE the work.

And I totally agree that you can bond in different ways.

I'd definitely get a pump, but I also want to encourage you to try actual BFing.
September 1st, 2013, 07:32 PM
i'm on the fence about breastfeeding.. everyone tells me it's only weird the first few times, but i just don't know :/ my aunt is totally pressuring me to do it exclusively because she did with her three kids and is taking it as a personal attack that i would rather pump. my mom tried with my sister, but she was difficult, so my mom just gave up and isn't really offering her opinion. my other two aunts worked almost immediately after having their babies and they both pumped and used formula.
September 1st, 2013, 08:14 PM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Breastfeeding is different for different people. Some babies latch like they've always nursed and some babies take a little work. I personally, had to pump and nurse with my preemie daughter for four weeks and, HATED pumping. It takes so much time, even with the double pumps. I would definitely recommend a dual electric! It helps out. Go to the pumping board because they will probably have lots of tips and tricks!

P.S. If you're weirded out about the whole baby attached to your boob thing, it's not weird at all. There is definitely nothing sexual or odd about it. You have a natural feeling when you do it, especially once you get the baby latched properly and do it for a bit. I realize that you may still feel odd, giving her your milk is awesome, any way she can get it!
mindyjean and Myopia like this.
September 1st, 2013, 08:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
i'm on the fence about breastfeeding.. everyone tells me it's only weird the first few times, but i just don't know :/ my aunt is totally pressuring me to do it exclusively because she did with her three kids and is taking it as a personal attack that i would rather pump. my mom tried with my sister, but she was difficult, so my mom just gave up and isn't really offering her opinion. my other two aunts worked almost immediately after having their babies and they both pumped and used formula.
I wouldn't call it weird. It's a learning experience! Boobs were made for babies (though I know we sexualize them so much in this society - kind of sad).

You could always try it for a few days, and then if it doesn't feel right for you, then exclusively pump. My opinion is, don't shut it out unless you actually try it first. We can totally get into our own heads when we're preparing to do something (at least I do) and psyche ourselves out. So, I say at least leave the door open. No final decision needs to be made until baby arrives!
Myopia likes this.

September 1st, 2013, 08:23 PM
yeah, i'm not going to definitely say i'm not breastfeeding until she's here. i think seeing her and her reaction to bottles/ the breast milk will influence my decision to try breastfeeding.
September 1st, 2013, 08:32 PM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd worry a lot less about other peoples opinions and more about your own with some research.

Let me tell you something about pumping. It's uncomfortable, it takes forever and it can never fully drain your breasts like a baby can so some people can't keep up enough supply. For me there was nothing weird or sexual or "wrong" about breastfeeding. However hooking up tubes and cups to my breasts was. It always made me feel like a dairy cow. It stretches out your nipples to ungodly sizes and until they go numb, it's uncomfortable.
mindyjean and Myopia like this.
September 1st, 2013, 08:39 PM
what.. it stretches your nipples?
September 1st, 2013, 08:58 PM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
what.. it stretches your nipples?
Lol they go back down, but yes, they stretch out. Mine would go from normal (tip of my pinky size) to bigger then my thumb. It's done by suction so they balloon out. It took me 30/min a session to pump so they always ended up the size of the suction cup
September 1st, 2013, 09:01 PM
this is gonna seem like a really dumb question but how does one wear shirts with thumb-sized nipples???

THIS is the stuff they should tell you in health class to encourage abstinence..
LABs likes this.
September 1st, 2013, 10:15 PM
Erin1826's Avatar Super Mommy
They only stretch out while you're actually hooked up to the machine pumping. They go back to normal once you're done!
September 1st, 2013, 11:18 PM
chelseamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to send you a pm
SpankyMagoo likes this.

Thank you to Vicki.. For my amazing Siggy

[IMG]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search