lamaze class: yay or nay?

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By hotpinkheels
  • 1 Post By AmyKC12
  • 1 Post By hotpinkheels
  • 1 Post By HappyBabyB
  • 1 Post By LABs
  • 1 Post By smileymom03
  • 1 Post By elizabethchallis
  • 1 Post By ~Kris~
  • 1 Post By ~Kris~
  • 2 Post By CarolinaMama
  • 2 Post By The Aubrey
  • 1 Post By Classy
  • 1 Post By newmommytake3
  • 1 Post By Txmom4
  • 1 Post By CorinnaS
  • 1 Post By hotpinkheels

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2013, 02:20 PM
ducksaresnazzy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my mother and aunt (who each had three kids) said it's a waste of time because they never used their breathing techniques or anything they learned in class. they said it just made them more anxious about labor. i kind of want to go for peace of mind, but if i'm not going to need it, i could be doing schoolwork instead..

what do you guys think? is a birthing class worth it?
September 4th, 2013, 02:26 PM
hotpinkheels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think it could hurt as a FTM... just because it didnt' work for them, doesn't mean that has to be your experience.

Breathing can be SUPER effective at managing not only pain but anxiety, and from what you've shared in teh past, you may need to use the breathing techniques to just GET to L&D

I say YAY!
ducksaresnazzy likes this.
September 4th, 2013, 02:30 PM
AmyKC12's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just had my first class last night! Two more to go. I actually thought some of the relaxation stuff they taught were really effective. I used them today. I think they can be used in every day life actually.

Also, my DH learned ALOT at the class. Probably even more than I did because he didn't understand how everything "worked" like the stages of labor, etc.

Our classes did cost $110 though so that is something to consider if there is a fee involved.
September 4th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Our class was $15 at the local hosp, and I think there was financial assistance if you couldn't pay (they wouldn't turn ya away)
September 4th, 2013, 02:58 PM
HappyBabyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am starting one tonight (its every Wednesday in Sept for 2 hours). Its a lamaze/birthing/taking care of baby class. I'll let you know how it goes but I don't see the harm. I tend to over prepare so I might not need all of the info but if I can take away one thing from it that helps me calm down then I'm happy!
September 4th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My mom found it very helpful. My birth plan consists of getting an epidural as soon as possible! Before the epidural I've learned to go into almost a trance. I just zone out to cope. I think that breathing techniques work best if you have a good birthing coach. My DH isn't that person! My bff does hypnobirthing and her DH is an amazing help and coach. My DH forgets everything hes been told at my first contraction. Knowing instinctively or being taught what to do doesn't happen. I've been afraid of an unassisted home birth every pg. I think I'd be better off delivering on my own!

September 4th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I never took one and survived 2 natural labors just fine. You might even be able to find some you tube videos about it if you don't want to pay for a class, but are interested in learning.

September 4th, 2013, 04:13 PM
elizabethchallis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't take a lamaze class and I was not prepared to be induced. It was hell waiting for my epidural. I know in my area there are several Doulas that offer there services for free to teenagers. Maybe you could look into that

6 weeks 10 weeks 4 weeks

September 4th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Mine was a waste, but I have heard good things from others.

I don't want this to come off as rude, but given your age, I assume there aren't too many moms IRL that you've talked with about labor, so in that case I think as a FTM it might be helpful to you.
September 4th, 2013, 08:07 PM
ducksaresnazzy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kris~ View Post
Mine was a waste, but I have heard good things from others.

I don't want this to come off as rude, but given your age, I assume there aren't too many moms IRL that you've talked with about labor, so in that case I think as a FTM it might be helpful to you.
the only real life moms i talk to about this are: my own mother, my aunt Julie, and my aunt Robyn. so you're not being rude; it's a valid assumption because they all had similar labors/ pregnancies, i rely on this board for unbiased advice a lot.

what else do you learn in a childbirth class besides the breathing and how to push? or is that all?
September 4th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It will depend on the teacher/class! I don't remember much from mine....but that was 8.5 years ago!
September 5th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Super Mommy
I never took a class as a first time mom, (or ever), because my birth plan was always to get an epidural as soon as possible! I knew I wouldn't need to know "how to breathe" and my doctor talked me through pushing. Plus, my hubby would have been super uncomfortable and I wasn't big on laying on my back with my legs spread pretending to push and breathe in a room with a bunch of strangers!! hahaha!! I don't mean that offensively AT ALL!!! I just knew we would be uncomfortable with it!

September 5th, 2013, 06:04 AM
The Aubrey's Avatar cw. piffle snot
I say yay! I was a relatively young mom the first time around, and didn't know too many people (family aside) who had gone through labor...much like you! It really helped me back then.

So much so that I'm pay the $120 to take it again. I think you said you were on medicaid-you should get it for free if you are! Free knowledge is good knowledge in my book! LOL
Classy and ducksaresnazzy like this.

September 5th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Classy's Avatar Love my 3 girls!
I had just turned 20 when my ODD was born and I was the first of my friends to have a baby, so we took the class. It was informative and even though I ended up with an epidural which was fine, I felt more prepared. I would do it! I registered for a NUMCB class this time, and would've gone if my Dr hadn't been so against a VBAC, but since it looks like I have to have a CS, I am skipping it.
September 5th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Veteran
I took one w/ my first 17 yrs ago when I was a young mom. I was barely 18 when he was born I found it very helpful and used the breathing techniques thru labor. I had a completely natural and drug free delivery. I took one again for my last birth 3 years ago w/ my husband. I found the breathing helpful but my labor was complicated and I ended up desperately needing the epidural due to scar tissue from a previous cervical surgery. The breathing techniques really helped me cope so I would recommend it. We wont be taking one this go round b/c its not been to long and its hard to take the time w/ our busy schedules.

Mom to 3 and an angel

Tristan 4/96
Jack 9/10
Katie 11/13

September 5th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took a child birth class the first time and had a csection because she was breech sono can't tell you that I would have used the info. But they also had some basic baby care that they taught.

September 5th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd say go for it, especially if it's free. I imagine they'll also cover basic baby care, and maybe things like the heimlich and cpr. It'd be really good for your SO to go with you, too.
September 5th, 2013, 03:02 PM
I learned a lot about the different stages of labor, what to expect, DH was taught what he can expect to see (shakes during transition, after birth, etc).... we did some relaxation stuff, learned about what they do with baby, different procedures/things that happen.... Overall I think it was helpful.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search