Make sure you're not using a Certified Professional Midwife (CPM)

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree35Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They are not licensed in midwifery. Make sure you have one that's actually licensed. And do more research than you think you need to.

I don't believe in the one-sided answer of the former OBGYN but she does make a good point about doing that research.

True, Tragic Home Births (VIDEO) - Huffington Post

Introducing the Minis

Last edited by shana1979; September 13th, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
September 13th, 2013, 07:51 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What is a Certified Professional Midwife?

I didn't watch the video because its probably a very one sided biased OBGYN. CPMs and LMs are basically the same thing. It honestly comes down to the state as to what they're called and licensure procedures. I know in Louisiana, an LM is basically someone who graduated high school and applied for the license. CPMs go through hours of training and supervision. It usually takes years to become a CPM. They're legal in half the states. The ones that don't recognize them probably don't allow home births. LMs and CPMs do home births mainly. Some states allow them to operate birth centers but this isn't always the case. My birth center is strictly CNMs, meaning they have a masters in nursing.

CPMs can be a great option for delivery. It's like anything else in life, do your research and know who you're trusting. I'd say do the same for ob gyns. If you're OB has a 40% csection rate, you might want to keep shopping...
September 13th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No matter the provider, everyone should look into are ask about birth rates and the like.

The birth center I was at with my daughter and midwives I received care from through 28 weeks this time are CNMs. One of them even used to be a nurse in L&D in one of Chicago's biggest hospitals!

September 13th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Wow. Become informed. Licensure is state regulated; CPM's go through hours of both didactic and apprenticeship training and are highly qualified to attend normal, natural births.
September 13th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My midwives are CNMs/ARNPs, but that's also for a hospital delivery. In Seattle, if you want to do a homebirth, I think you mostly work with A CPM, LM, or ND. I think the CPM model of care is just more "holistic" and the CNM model is more "medicalized". Here, a CPM must also be an LM, and the state of Washington has a fairly rigorous LM process. LM processes vary by state, though, so who knows what you'd get elsewhere.
Quantum_Leap likes this.
September 13th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
PS, HolaBebe, I suspect that you and I agree on this matter, but in this DDC we really try to share our different views with kindness.
September 13th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Mine are all both CPM's and LM's, which means that they've done the following:

Quote:
Washington state law requires licensed midwives to complete 3 years in a state-approved midwifery educational program, which includes participation in 100 or more births and verification of clinical skills and didactic course work. To attain licensure, all LMs must pass an examination provided to the state by the North American Registry of Midwives (NARM).
I trust them completely.
CorinnaS, shana1979 and HolaBebe like this.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
September 13th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Right from the word go there is NO WAY I am watching that video. The moment it popped up with the featured speaker I turned it off.

Everyone should research their care providers very carefully. That is just plain common sense. Hospital, home birth, or otherwise.
It would be inappropriate to post a blanket statement of 'MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT USING AN OBGYN', so I think that the same respect needs to be had for the women who have done careful research & have chosen a care provider who may be a CPM, which it looks like quite a few are.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
September 13th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, the argument to check the credentials of whoever is delivering your baby is definitely TOTALLY valid! Dittos to that, and I think that's the argument we're all trying to make, ultimately.

I do think this former OB is a pretty divisive person, though. If you look at her blog, she's got articles entitled "Homebirth midwives: Bringing third world causes of childbirth death to the first world" and "I didn't manage to kill my first baby by withholding vitamin K; maybe I can kill my second." Those are some pretty incendiary things to say.
mindyjean and shana1979 like this.
September 14th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I admit I know nothing about the qualifications of midwives, their licensing procedure, et .

However, I don't believe Shana posted this as a way to judge anyone who chooses the midwife route! My guess (and she can correct me if I am wrong)is that she came across something that seemed concerning and she wanted to be helpful and pass on that info to others who may not know.

We ALL know there can be a lot conflicting info out there, especially when it comes to controversial topics.

I hope you can all do what you feel is best for your delivery.
September 14th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Nicole B's Avatar Mega Insane Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorinnaS View Post
PS, HolaBebe, I suspect that you and I agree on this matter, but in this DDC we really try to share our different views with kindness.
I don't have anything to say about this topic as the only thing i know about midwives comes from the show, "Ask the Midwife" but i just wanted to say THANK YOU for helping in keeping our DDC the wonderful kind place it is. *HUGS*

September 14th, 2013, 06:44 AM
hotpinkheels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree- I think it's good, that no matter WHAT route you choose (home birth, hospital birth, birthing center, OB, midwife, etc) you are informed about who you have helping take care of you... that goes for anything- not just childbirth!

Shana- I agree, I think you were posting this more as an FYI and to be helpful/protective.... that's what we do here, we look out for our fellow mommas
shana1979 likes this.
September 14th, 2013, 07:25 AM
The Aubrey's Avatar cw. piffle snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole B View Post

but i just wanted to say THANK YOU for helping in keeping our DDC the wonderful kind place it is. *HUGS*
Ditto.

September 14th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneeleigh View Post
What is a Certified Professional Midwife?

My birth center is strictly CNMs, meaning they have a masters in nursing.

It's like anything else in life, do your research and know who you're trusting. I'd say do the same for ob gyns. If you're OB has a 40% csection rate, you might want to keep shopping...
The CNMs are not a problem. A lot of states do not regulate CPMs so they don't always have the licensure. But a CNM would be a great thing because they've had legit training.

The video does have a biased ex-OBGYN that's why I said there were some things I didn't agree with. Her, bias-ness, though, was mostly toward American midwives because they are generally unregulated here. In other countries, such as England, they are very well schooled and regulated. But there were two moms also on there whose stories were worth hearing. One fighting for the licensure and regulation of midwives and one who recently experienced a loss. They thought they did enough research on the people.

Research is what is the most important thing here and that includes seeing how regulated the practice is or not. And, yes, that obviously goes to OBGYNs as well, especially given some of the horror stories heard with that.

Introducing the Minis

September 14th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolaBebe View Post
Wow. Become informed. Licensure is state regulated; CPM's go through hours of both didactic and apprenticeship training and are highly qualified to attend normal, natural births.
Yes, I understand what you're saying. And I see I left off my sentence that was supposed to complete the title which was to say "unless you've done extensive research" (my mistake). At least with a CNM, you're working with someone who is qualified and experienced to make emergency decisions when that "normal, natural birth" takes a turn for something different.

What the OBGYN in the video said is something that I've always maintained. Pregnancy is primitive. We've been doing it since the beginning of time. We have no choice but to push out what desires to be out, a baby. AND in going with how primitive and "natural" it is, so is the unexpected. It can always lead to death. Modern science has not been able to put pregnancy and birth along the same lines of making a microwave dinner for a whole family-- there isn't an easy button no matter the choice. But modern science has allowed for understanding and a person who is ready for changes like a CNM and an OB is a helpful person to have.

I don't understand how having a baby in a hospital is considered "unnatural". There are plenty of women who forego medicine and intervention if possible (I am not one-- give me my epidural stat). Barring medical assistance, having a baby in a hospital or birth center truly isn't all that different than a home birth. You're just talking environment there and environments can be manipulated. I've seen hospitals/birth centers that have tubs/pools for water births. I've heard of both accommodating with music and lighting. Nothing takes away from the natural-ness of delivering a baby (again, unless there's medical intervention). As a personal choice, I'd like to have someone there who can react well in case of an emergency. I don't know if I've clarified well what I meant; hope so.

Quote:
My midwives are CNMs/ARNPs, but that's also for a hospital delivery. In Seattle, if you want to do a homebirth, I think you mostly work with A CPM, LM, or ND. I think the CPM model of care is just more "holistic" and the CNM model is more "medicalized". Here, a CPM must also be an LM, and the state of Washington has a fairly rigorous LM process. LM processes vary by state, though, so who knows what you'd get elsewhere.
That's exactly what I meant. Everything you posted. My apologies, I was tired and didn't do my normal read-through to make sure it was clarified.

All the video truly was stressing was to do your research and that a CPM is not someone who has to be licensed in midwifery across the nation because, again, as you stated it is a state thing. So some CPMs are not LMs. Again, that research.

Introducing the Minis

September 14th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpinkheels View Post
Shana- I agree, I think you were posting this more as an FYI and to be helpful/protective.... that's what we do here, we look out for our fellow mommas
Naturally.

FYI: I think people should watch the video though to know what additional questions they could ask of their midwives before D-Day comes. I read every post on this board (whether I agree with the title or not), click on article links/videos, then go look up things I don't understand or have more questions about, then talk to my doctor.

I tend to be a person who likes to see both sides of a coin.
CorinnaS likes this.

Introducing the Minis

September 14th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Yes, the argument to check the credentials of whoever is delivering your baby is definitely TOTALLY valid! Dittos to that, and I think that's the argument we're all trying to make, ultimately.

I do think this former OB is a pretty divisive person, though. If you look at her blog, she's got articles entitled "Homebirth midwives: Bringing third world causes of childbirth death to the first world" and "I didn't manage to kill my first baby by withholding vitamin K; maybe I can kill my second." Those are some pretty incendiary things to say.
Yep, like I said, she said a lot that I didn't agree with. But there were points worth investigating, such as the licensure of CPMs per state. I was more interested in the stories of the two moms and the preventative measures that they now wish they had taken. Those are good talking points to bring to your research about your midwife.

Personally (and this is just my own belief), I think all midwives should be nationally licensed just like other medical professionals, especially considering they usually deliver without emergency medical equipment. And that's what the mom who labored with the breeched baby is fighting for. How infuriating was her midwife??? Why would you allow a mom to PUSH for 6 hours with a breeched baby???

If I never had c-sections, I totally would have liked to use a midwife. I'm not against them at all. It was something I've always wanted to do from the time I was a teen watching A Baby Story. That looks to me to be the optimal way to deliver. But I didn't know how unregulated it truly is as a practice in some states and I find that alarming.

Introducing the Minis

Last edited by shana1979; September 14th, 2013 at 08:51 AM.
September 14th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can understand the concern here. While a CNM is very regulated, I'm not sure about the others. And recently I read about a "midwife" who was not a CNM, but not site
If she was any of the others either and she had several deaths on her hands. She got shut down for some and then continued practicing and another baby died. Ill see if I can find an article, but that would deff make me look into all the correct qualifications that they need. And I claim to know nothing about the different licenses that qualify a midwife, to be honest I thought there was only something called a CNM.

September 14th, 2013, 11:58 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My post was in no way to be negative or disrespectful. I just don't want misinformation being put out there. There's a school in my city that trains CPMs for three years before they can sit for their NARM board. Are there unqualified CPMs and LMs? Yes. But most are and I just didn't like that the post was directed at all CPMs. Many moms have no clue and would see that and take it for truth.

California actually just battled this debate and had the bill passed, all CPMs and LMs would have been shut down. That would have been horrific. Midwives provide quality care for low risk mothers at a much cheaper rate. For those without insurance, this is huge for them.
Quantum_Leap and HolaBebe like this.
September 14th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Point taken. I apologize for being so heated, I tend to type first, think tactfully later to something I find personally offensive. I hope everyone here feels entirely comfortable wherever, and with whomever, they give birth. And ask a million questions, no matter what degree, title, certification, or license they have.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search