i'm not sure i want the answer to this..

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By ~Kris~
  • 1 Post By Nicole B
  • 2 Post By hotpinkheels
  • 3 Post By jadeunicorn
  • 1 Post By Minilegs
  • 1 Post By SpankyMagoo

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2013, 05:24 AM
ducksaresnazzy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Nipple cream
Unless you’re going from nursing one baby to the next, you will probably want some nipple cream as your ninnies toughen up and get used to breastfeeding. Tip from us mamas: use it every. single. time you breastfeed at the beginning to help prevent cracking or bleeding. Good thing is it’s safe for your baby, so even if your newborn wants to latch back on, you’re good to do so.
uhm. what's bleeding?
September 14th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Your nipples might crack and bleed from the baby sucking on them. Between all three kids, I can't recall this happening for me, but it totally depends on the person. A tip to try and avoid it is to make sure your nips are really dry before putting them back in your bra and don't leave wet pads (if you leak) on them for long. There are several different creams /ointments that help keep them in good nape.
Christina642 likes this.
September 14th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Nicole B's Avatar Mega Insane Mommy
What Kris said! I used this with Teegan: Amazon.com: Lansinoh HPA Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers, 40 Grams: Health & Personal Care

and i never had any trouble with bleeding. Teegan and i also used a nipple shield in the very beginning because there were some times when i got home that we had trouble with latching and that really helped and i'm guessing probably gave me a bit of break too.

But again, i think some moms don't like them because they believe it leads to nipple confusion. We never had that but i'm sure it depends on the baby.

Try not to stress! Just abuse the cream!
Christina642 likes this.

September 14th, 2013, 06:59 AM
hotpinkheels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So... is this a good time to ask for some clarification on what mastitis is....
September 14th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Lasinoh is awesome. I used it after every time I nursed too in the beginning, so I never bled.

It was the thrush that nearly did me in (I highly recommend any mamas who have antibiotics for labor start taking a probiotic right after birth to help fend something like thrush off. - it is SO painful, and I am lucky I stuck through it).

Mastitis is something that can develop that usually starts as plugged ducts. To avoid both, I recommend while breastfeeding, massage your breast where it may feel a bit hard, like it's too full of milk in that spot. You more easily get engorged at the beginning, and by paying attention to making sure those too full spots get emptied and softer, it helps prevent things. I also never wore a bra with an underwire while nursing, jic. But once your supply evens out, you shouldn't really need to worry much.

But I was constantly massaging out "lumps" at the beginning. And I never had a plugged duct or mastitis (mastitis is actually an infection that results from that plugged duct).

I highly recommend looking at kellymom.com if you want further info.

September 14th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Also wanted to add, that BFing in the beginning is likely to make your bleeding down south to increase, as your uterus will contract some. Though it can be a little painful, overall it is so helpful! Your post partum bleeding probably won't last as long and your uterus will shrink down properly.
September 14th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh I bled! I wanted to die it hurt so bad with my 2nd, he had a bad latch and it would bleed and scab the first couple of weeks. I had to pump and feed him a bottle when that happened and the next time it wouldn't be so bad.

September 14th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
I never had any bleeding. I did have some pain with DS #1, so I just went crazy with the Lansinoh. With DS #2 I went straight from nursing DS #1 to nursing DS #2, so I was already used to it and I didn't have any pain. But this time DS #2 is already weaned, so I'm anticipating I'll probably need the Lansinoh again.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
September 14th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Veteran
I had a lot of pain, but Max was tongue tied, and we didn't find out for 2 weeks! This time I'll have them check right away for that. Lansinoh helped some. And also the cooling gel pads from medela. But just know lansinoh will stain clothes/nursing tanks so use some sort of pad.
September 14th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a lot of pain with my first but I never bleed. My 4 th about did me in with thrush. Mastitis I can handle that one but thrush that's a killer.

September 14th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've nursed two babies successfully without any major cracking or bleeding. It's all in the latch!!!
FairyDustMom likes this.
September 14th, 2013, 11:26 AM
FairyDustMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never experienced bleeding with my DD. I did use that Lansinoh cream.. and would massage my breasts in the beginning.. also putting warm towels on them helps or a warm shower.
I agree with Minilegs that it depends how your baby is latching!
September 14th, 2013, 12:04 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never had bleeding. My son had a bad latch so I used a nipple shield till it was corrected and weaned him off it.
September 14th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A correct latch is so important! I only got a little sore with my more lazy latchers. Make sure that you get a big open mouth and get as much of the areola into the babies mouth. Once they latch on check out the bottom lip. They should look like fishy lips, not tight! That's the way to get sore! If the bottom lip is tight, gently press on the chin and the lip will flip out. You'll feel better immediately!

Mastitis is an infected duct and will cause flu like symptoms. Make sure you don't get plugged ducts. Heat, massage and positioning babies chin in the direction of a plugged duct will relieve it. I have one duct that likes to get clogged. I have to put the baby on my bed and hover upside down to my baby to get it to release.

September 14th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I never bled or cracked but I did have terrible rawness with DD1. I absolutely recommend that people try those gel burn pads- keep them in the fridge between use. The only thing is you can't use creams or lotion in conjuction with them, but every time I had soreness, the pads cleared it up in two days. My SIL had bleeding from intense pumping
September 14th, 2013, 03:03 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
think of your nipples getting chapped the way your lips do, thats all. I was lucky and never had that problem but you can prevent it if you put the cream on everytime
Quantum_Leap likes this.

September 14th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
I did get mastitis with my second, and that sucked. But antibiotics cleared it up fast. And also you can get that even if you're not breastfeeding.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
September 16th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Never had bleeding or mastitis. I only used the nipple cream for a few weeks. My nipples 'toughened up' - they honestly felt sort of numb for the 15 months I nursed.
September 16th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mine still get sore from time to time, but it's pretty much always due to a lazy latch. And now Stella has all her teeth so she gets nibbly occasionally.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search