Finally hammered out William's name

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree24Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So, somehow William's name came up again in my 6th period class, the class w/ a black girl who has never met a black guy named William. She did admit yesterday that she met a black Will but his name is just Will. (smh) So she says I should just name him Patrick. Told her I wouldn't because my grandfather's name trumps my godfather's name. Then she said what about the other one, Charles. I said that's my step-father's name-- again, doesn't trump my grandpa. So some kid said, "You should give him all three names-- William Patrick Charles". Another kid said, "Oooh, that sounds like a writer." A third kid said, "It sounds like a guy who runs companies." I thought to myself, "William Patrick Charles Cannon it is." Done and done. Well, I was pondering giving the kids their dad's last name; it does belong to them but, at the same time, I don't want to. It's not actually his last name but his step-father's.
meritaten, Txmom4 and smileymom03 like this.

Introducing the Minis

September 14th, 2013, 10:24 AM
ducksaresnazzy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we were gonna give our child two middle names because Nate has two

it does sound like a fancy man's name.
shana1979 likes this.
September 14th, 2013, 10:46 AM
BlessednHighlyFavored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh my that sound good together!Nice and strong.Love it!
shana1979 likes this.

My Ovulation Chart

I'm doing natural family planning
September 14th, 2013, 11:16 AM
FairyDustMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Love it!
Sounds strong masculine powerful and handsome

You are good with this name thing Shana ... should get you to name my baby!
What girl names do you like.. and I know I wont steal you baby girls name!
shana1979 likes this.
September 14th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Very nice name! What about Will.I.Am? Isn't be black? Lol

September 14th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i don't tend to go for really girly names. i like strong names for females as well, names that give me a picture of personality.

some states/cities are pretty cool for names like savannah, madison, dakota, cheyenne.
i like some older names like grace, madelyn, victoria, hannah.

i'm not big on names that everyone has (but this is regionally-- some of these are overused in miami but not other places) like jennifer, maria, gabriella, ashley, angela, destiny, christina, christal (crystal), stephanie, isabella, tiffany, brittany (i know i'm forgetting a few more) but they are totally okay for middle names.

no offense to anyone but i LOATHE the name nevaeh (everyone who names their child that has to add "it's heaven spelled backwards"-- duh).

while there are a lot of elizabeths, i do like that name as well-- never met a person named elizabeth that i didn't like. but, other than the queen, they not usually as assertive as i would like a girl to be, but they still get their way.

i also like the names guinevere and genevieve but i haven't found a way to use them except as characters for writing.

i'm still up in the air with peyton's middle name. i'm looking for something that says woman. it was initially to be renee but i'm not sold on that. and i like elise because it's feminine and it's the shortened version of elizabeth but, again, not sold.

Introducing the Minis

Last edited by shana1979; September 14th, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
September 14th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyDustMom View Post
Love it!
Sounds strong masculine powerful and handsome

You are good with this name thing Shana ... should get you to name my baby!
What girl names do you like.. and I know I wont steal you baby girls name!
i liked one of the names especially that you had. it went well with julia.

Introducing the Minis

September 14th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shana1979 View Post
i don't tend to go for really girly names. i like strong names for females as well, names that give me a picture of personality.

some states/cities are pretty cool for names like savannah, madison, dakota, cheyenne.
i like some older names like grace, madelyn, victoria, hannah.

i'm not big on names that everyone has (but this is regionally-- some of these are overused in miami but not other places) like jennifer, maria, gabriella, ashley, angela, destiny, christina, christal (crystal), stephanie, isabella, tiffany, brittany (i know i'm forgetting a few more) but they are totally okay for middle names.

no offense to anyone but i LOATHE the name nevaeh (everyone who names their child that has to add "it's heaven spelled backwards"-- duh).

while there are a lot of elizabeths, i do like that name as well-- never met a person named elizabeth that i didn't like. but, other than the queen, they not usually as assertive as i would like a girl to be, but they still get their way.

i also like the names guinevere and genevieve but i haven't found a way to use them except as characters for writing.

i'm still up in the air with peyton's middle name. i'm looking for something that says woman. it was initially to be renee but i'm not sold on that. and i like elise because it's feminine and it's the shortened version of elizabeth but, again, not sold.
All the names I like are longer and my husband has a 10 letter last name that ends with -ski
He does like Genevieve .. so from the name list maybe he'd go with that- lol never heard of Nevaeh here .
Also never met a Peyton yet how did you come across this name? original here sounds strong too
September 14th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmom4 View Post
Very nice name! What about Will.I.Am? Isn't be black? Lol
he is quite unattractive so he is not part of my william picture (and w/ that kid in my class, it wouldn't be a good example). thankfully, my child shouldn't have a similar squished face like he does.

Introducing the Minis

September 14th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Will Smith!

Shana I have Clara for my baby will go nicely with her sibling Julia Maria K......ski (sorry dont want to put husbands full last name here)
Now I have to decide on Clara's middle name.. was thinking Mae
shana1979 likes this.
September 14th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
All the names I like are longer and my husband has a 10 letter last name that ends with -ski
He does like Genevieve .. so from the name list maybe he'd go with that- lol never heard of Nevaeh here .
Also never met a Peyton yet how did you come across this name? original here sounds strong too
i like anastasia too. stacy may be a common nickname but her original name would not be-- here in miami at least.

i would look for a name with meaning, maybe from eastern europe, that can be said easily enough over here in the western hemisphere to go with that -ski last name. french names are pretty nice too.

i had decided i wanted unisex names for my girls if they turned out to be girls after reading an article about a man who had difficulty getting an interview because his first name was kim. when he added mr. in front of it, he was getting calls left and right. i had already decided against an "ethnic" name b/c i think of kids in their adult state. one day they'll have to apply for jobs and i've personally seen practices where a resume with a black sounding name was discarded without consideration. so one day i was in an audition and there were two young ladies there-- they were beautiful, poised, and, on the surface, well-behaved. one was named peyton and one was named dylan. there were also two young men there, coincidentally, with the same names. so if i had twin girls, they would be peyton and dylan w/ feminine middle names. that way, you had to meet them to know them. when i found out it was one girl, peyton was the name that came to mind when i saw her.
FairyDustMom likes this.

Introducing the Minis

September 14th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Lol I love it Shana, I can't stand Nevaeh either! My BFF wanted to name her daughter that and I was like nooooo please noooo she went with lily instead, which I love!
I also don't like names that are over used. My hubby likes Abby and I refuse, I don't want 5 other kids in the class with the same name. Caitlin is common, but I was young and it actually fits her perfectly. I wouldn't change it at all. Speaking of masculine girl names, I love love love Ryan or Ryann for a girl!
shana1979 likes this.

September 14th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I like the idea of not knowing the gender.. would be interesting for an interview! Never thought of it that way. Ryan is rarely used for a girl and I agree TXMom I like how it sounds on a girl better than boy!
shana1979 likes this.
September 14th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmom4 View Post
Lol I love it Shana, I can't stand Nevaeh either! My BFF wanted to name her daughter that and I was like nooooo please noooo she went with lily instead, which I love!
I also don't like names that are over used. My hubby likes Abby and I refuse, I don't want 5 other kids in the class with the same name. Caitlin is common, but I was young and it actually fits her perfectly. I wouldn't change it at all. Speaking of masculine girl names, I love love love Ryan or Ryann for a girl!
I like Ryan too for a girl (but that's my cousin's son's name). I imagine that Caitlin is common in Tx (your DD looks like a Caitlin so it was a good fit) but not in Miami. Actually haven't had one in 8 years of teaching. Same with Abby. Neither of those names are common for a black girl here either. That would be more Kesha, Tawana, etc.

I wouldn't choose Lily b/c it's my bf's grandma's name and I know she's hoping to have a daughter to name after her gma. My sister would name her daughter Leiloni or something like that. My brother gave his daughter a pretty ugly combo name-- Denise Rochelle (Denise is fine but Rochelle...)

Nevaeh is soooooooo overplayed and parents usually think it's unique.

Introducing the Minis

September 14th, 2013, 12:20 PM
i love the name Harlie for a girl. it's sweet and sassy to me and the spelling just looks cute. its my favorite boy-for-a-girl name. i also like Riley, Ryan- i secretly think a girl Jake would be cute, but maybe a little too far.

my cousin's name in Paiton, so i've never seen it as a masculine name, but everyone else seems to.
shana1979 likes this.
September 14th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Will Smith!

Shana I have Clara for my baby will go nicely with her sibling Julia Maria K......ski (sorry dont want to put husbands full last name here)
Now I have to decide on Clara's middle name.. was thinking Mae
Clara Mae is my grandma's name. So I'm biased. Her mother's name was Clara Belle.
FairyDustMom likes this.

Introducing the Minis

September 14th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Alex is really nice for a girl.. and could also be a boys name!
September 14th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksaresnazzy View Post
i love the name Harlie for a girl. it's sweet and sassy to me and the spelling just looks cute. its my favorite boy-for-a-girl name. i also like Riley, Ryan- i secretly think a girl Jake would be cute, but maybe a little too far.

my cousin's name in Paiton, so i've never seen it as a masculine name, but everyone else seems to.
I have Riley on my list as a middle name for Peyton. Harlie is cute. Never thought of that spelling.

Peyton Manning, the nfl qb, is the only Peyton I knew of before I met my friend's twin toddler boys. Never saw it for a girl until I went to that audition.

Introducing the Minis

Last edited by shana1979; September 14th, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
September 14th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Shana, my great-grandma's name is Clara Mae!
shana1979 likes this.
September 14th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I've seen Peyton for a boy and Payton for girls.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search