Fasting #s to high? Now meds

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By jadeunicorn
  • 1 Post By TeamNick
  • 1 Post By jadeunicorn
  • 1 Post By Quantum_Leap
  • 1 Post By Quantum_Leap

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2013, 06:58 AM
Veteran
So the perinatal says my fasting #s are elevated so they want me to start on glyburide 15 min before dinner. They didnt seem that high to me 106 98 103 97 104 over a 5 day period. I called my OB to get a 2nd opinion and they said they agree b/c the fasting # is the one they want the tightest control over. Even though its only about 10 over the normal range being that I am pregnant that is the # that will affect the babys weight and blood sugar. Does anyone have any experience w/ this?

Mom to 3 and an angel

Tristan 4/96
Jack 9/10
Katie 11/13

October 1st, 2013, 07:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My fasting sugars were about in your range as well before. Too high, sadly. Under 95 is the line usually - and I know my doctor likes to see at least half of my numbers in that range for the week.

I am shocked that they are having you do the glyburide right before dinner though. I take my dose about 15 minutes before bed. It wears off after a certain amount of time, so right before dinner is early, imo! I do my bedtime snack at around 9:45-10pm, then take the glyburide (I'm on the lowest dosage - 1.25) at around 10:15-10:30pm. Then I'm awake to test my fasting sugars around 6-6:30am.

It's not so bad, though they may want to do some extra monitoring once you're on glyburide (NSTs and a growth ultrasound). It's helped keep my fasting sugars in line.

Also, you may want to look at the before bedtime snack you're having. Changing that up might help lower your numbers. Even with the glyburide I was starting to creep back into 95-105 range. I was having 1 piece of whole wheat toast with natural PB and then a handful of peanuts. One night hubbie made popcorn. I had 3 cups of that with some butter and salt, plus a handful of peanuts. I've been snacking on that every night since, as it brought my fasting sugars back down under 95! I've only had 1 higher in the last week, and that was a 96 - lol.

Remember, this is to keep baby healthy. Just watch for maybe a little extra heartburn/reflux with the meds. The pill is so tiny too. Good luck! And feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat more about it directly.
newmommytake3 likes this.

October 1st, 2013, 09:17 AM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor is letting me slide. I am around 96 every morning. He did say if I was consistently over 100 that would be cause for concern.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

October 1st, 2013, 09:30 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeunicorn View Post
My fasting sugars were about in your range as well before. Too high, sadly. Under 95 is the line usually - and I know my doctor likes to see at least half of my numbers in that range for the week.

I am shocked that they are having you do the glyburide right before dinner though. I take my dose about 15 minutes before bed. It wears off after a certain amount of time, so right before dinner is early, imo! I do my bedtime snack at around 9:45-10pm, then take the glyburide (I'm on the lowest dosage - 1.25) at around 10:15-10:30pm. Then I'm awake to test my fasting sugars around 6-6:30am.

It's not so bad, though they may want to do some extra monitoring once you're on glyburide (NSTs and a growth ultrasound). It's helped keep my fasting sugars in line.

Also, you may want to look at the before bedtime snack you're having. Changing that up might help lower your numbers. Even with the glyburide I was starting to creep back into 95-105 range. I was having 1 piece of whole wheat toast with natural PB and then a handful of peanuts. One night hubbie made popcorn. I had 3 cups of that with some butter and salt, plus a handful of peanuts. I've been snacking on that every night since, as it brought my fasting sugars back down under 95! I've only had 1 higher in the last week, and that was a 96 - lol.

Remember, this is to keep baby healthy. Just watch for maybe a little extra heartburn/reflux with the meds. The pill is so tiny too. Good luck! And feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat more about it directly.
Thanks so much! I have been eating crackers w/ cashew or peanut butter before bed so that could have something to do w/ it. I am totally good w/ popcorn lol so maybe I will give that a shot tonight. I will throw in a handful of cashews for the protein! tonight will be my first time taking the pill as I worked late last night and didnt get to pick it up till after. I am a little nervous about it b/c not pregnant I have a history of low blood sugar crashes and they are not fun! I suffered alot w/ them in the first trimester and was almost on the floor several times at work when I didnt eat often enough.

Mom to 3 and an angel

Tristan 4/96
Jack 9/10
Katie 11/13

October 1st, 2013, 09:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good luck! I hope it does the trick!

October 1st, 2013, 09:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommytake3 View Post
Thanks so much! I have been eating crackers w/ cashew or peanut butter before bed so that could have something to do w/ it. I am totally good w/ popcorn lol so maybe I will give that a shot tonight. I will throw in a handful of cashews for the protein! tonight will be my first time taking the pill as I worked late last night and didnt get to pick it up till after. I am a little nervous about it b/c not pregnant I have a history of low blood sugar crashes and they are not fun! I suffered alot w/ them in the first trimester and was almost on the floor several times at work when I didnt eat often enough.
I was also worried it would make me low (which it hasn't yet - yay). If it happens, just make sure to test to see your number, get some sugar in you if you are indeed low, and let your doctor know!

Good luck - I hope you can get your fasting sugars into a happy range for your doctors.

October 1st, 2013, 12:12 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Jade, are you supposed to eat MORE carbs before bed, or less? My fasting numbers are starting to creep up as well -- this morning was a 99, which is the first time I've been over. I want to put a stop to it before it gets any higher. Do you have any tips?

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
October 1st, 2013, 01:14 PM
Veteran
Fasting numbers are tricky! Sometimes, if the fasting numbers are going up, you need to reduce your nighttime carbs, but if you try that and they still go up, then you need to increase your nighttime carbs. I had to try both after talking to the nurse.
October 1st, 2013, 06:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum_Leap View Post
Jade, are you supposed to eat MORE carbs before bed, or less? My fasting numbers are starting to creep up as well -- this morning was a 99, which is the first time I've been over. I want to put a stop to it before it gets any higher. Do you have any tips?
I would say experiment with different combos of carb/protein for your snack. It's really different for everyone! Not all carbs are created equal.

My 3 cups of popcorn is actually equivalent to 1 carb, so I didn't raise or decrease my carb count when I made the switch from one snack type to another.

Another tip I had to try to get the fasting sugars a little lower was to have a straight protein middle of the night snack when you wake up at one point. I was doing peanuts for this, but that was before I was on the glyburide and it helped a little, but not enough - haven't done that since I started the meds though.

October 1st, 2013, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeunicorn View Post
I would say experiment with different combos of carb/protein for your snack. It's really different for everyone! Not all carbs are created equal.

My 3 cups of popcorn is actually equivalent to 1 carb, so I didn't raise or decrease my carb count when I made the switch from one snack type to another.

Another tip I had to try to get the fasting sugars a little lower was to have a straight protein middle of the night snack when you wake up at one point. I was doing peanuts for this, but that was before I was on the glyburide and it helped a little, but not enough - haven't done that since I started the meds though.
I had been having a glass of milk and/or juice in the middle of the night when I woke up. But now I think I have to stop.

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
October 1st, 2013, 07:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Only a few more weeks of dealing with this ladies! Keep up the good work!
October 1st, 2013, 07:19 PM
chelseamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dr raised my wanted fasting number to be 99(5.5 in Canada) generally I'm 93.6-97.2 it's amazing how drs differ!

Thank you to Vicki.. For my amazing Siggy

[IMG]
October 1st, 2013, 07:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum_Leap View Post
I had been having a glass of milk and/or juice in the middle of the night when I woke up. But now I think I have to stop.
Probably not the best to have middle of the night.

I'm actually cutting milk from dinner since it seemed to raise my after dinner numbers.

No juice for me at all - pure sugar!

October 1st, 2013, 07:35 PM
chelseamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah the drs told me not to do juice at all because of the sugar

Thank you to Vicki.. For my amazing Siggy

[IMG]
October 2nd, 2013, 12:12 PM
Last week I was able to have juice in the middle of the night and my morning sugars were still around 86 each time. But two days ago it spiked. So, last night I skipped the middle of the night snack (still had a glass of milk before bed), and this morning I was at 86 again. Guess that's what I'll have to do from now on.
jadeunicorn likes this.

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search