C section vs Induction

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2013, 08:27 PM
FairyDustMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Which one is worse:
C section

or

Induction with a wide episiotomy

Also dont know much about recovery from c section.. how bad is the pain? Will I be able to breastfeed? Will I be able to pick up baby? How soon can I walk? How long will it take to feel better?

My MIL tonight was telling me to go for a c section since my last induction was difficult so got me wondering.
October 5th, 2013, 08:46 PM
HappyBabyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have also wondered about the recovery from a c section, that's a major surgery!
October 5th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The recover is not fun on a csection but I can't compare
To a vag birth since I've never had one. You can still breastfed and you can still pick up baby. You would not be able to pick up your daughter though.

October 5th, 2013, 09:15 PM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't remember everything because it's been 2.5 year but my c-section was awful. I had horrible trouble with pain management. Couldn't hold my baby for the first time for almost 2 hours because of the epi wearing off gave me horrible shakes. They had me up on my feet about 24 hours later and it was awful. I swelled up like a balloon and you have no core muscle anymore. So anything from coughing, laughing or even trying to use the bathroom or pass gas was very very painful. I had several panic attacks from the pain. I was in the hospital for 4.5 days and didn't change a diaper until I was home because you can't bend over.

You can't drive while on pain meds and then aren't supposed to for a while after. Lifting restriction to just the baby. Can't do certian movements like vaccuming for 2-3 months.

I personally would avoid a c-section at all costs.
October 5th, 2013, 09:16 PM
chelseamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard csection isn't bad recovery but other ladies tell me it's horrible. I find the vaginal recovery can suck too depending .... I'm just hoping regardless of what. I end up with my recovery isn't bad

Thank you to Vicki.. For my amazing Siggy

[IMG]
October 5th, 2013, 09:16 PM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Also... you get this wonderful thing called the c-section pooch. Where fat likes to build up above your c-section scar. So you have to really work to keep that area from gaining weight or you get a pooch. Scars not bad though....
October 6th, 2013, 06:01 AM
The Aubrey's Avatar cw. piffle snot
My recovery wasn't too bad. I was up waking within 8 hours of surgery, no problem lifting baby or nursing. I was able to do stairs by the time I got home, and I was lifting whatever I needed to lift. The only thing that drove me nuts was my doctors request not to drive. I wasn't taking pain pills and they still said I couldn't drive for 2-3 weeks.

October 6th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Super Mommy
My c-section recoveries (2) have both been fine. You are definitely sore, but it was nothing that some ibuprofen couldn't handle for me. I was up walking the same day, and showering by myself the day after. Holding and nursing baby is not difficult at all as they are so tiny, but you can't lift or hold your other children for a couple weeks. With my first, we were in a different house with her nursery upstairs, and I walked up and down those steps probably 30 times the day we brought her home. I think it's all what you make it! I was just so elated to have my babies, I didn't focus much on the pain.
shana1979 likes this.

October 6th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseGal View Post
So anything from coughing, laughing or even trying to use the bathroom or pass gas was very very painful. I had several panic attacks from the pain. ...Also... you get this wonderful thing called the c-section pooch. Where fat likes to build up above your c-section scar. So you have to really work to keep that area from gaining weight or you get a pooch. Scars not bad though....
my recovery from my 2 emergency ones wasn't bad at all except for the things i've quoted above. i do have that stupid pooch, it bothers me to have it. my stomach would be a beautiful pregnancy stomach if not for my hernia bump and the dangling skin from the pooch b/c i didn't avoid gaining weight after DS2.

you learn to cover your midsection with a pillow when you do have to laugh/cough/etc. it is major, major surgery.

my pain management was good, i was off pills less than a week after surgery. i get sicker if i take pain meds that i don't really need. due to my itchiness in recovery, we discovered i'm allergic to morphine. i guess, i'm just meant to not be a drug addict/dependent person.

i'm hoping my recovery goes well this time b/c now i'm 14 years older. the body's not built the same.

Introducing the Minis

October 6th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I hated having a c-section (I mean, the recovery was decently long for me, and I was lucky to have no complications, but I would still opt for vaginal over c-section any day).

If you look at the statistics, a c-section is a greater risk than a vaginal birth, even a vaginal birth that's induced with an episiotome. Induction can lead to c-section easier than going into natural labor, BUT if there was only a choice of induction or straight c-section, I'd take the induction first.

C-section is major abdominal surgery. I suggest you look up the risks and possible complications that are possible from it. Since they have to sew you up, you have a decent gap where you won't get to be with baby (at least an hour I think). Also, when you give birth vaginally, that squeezes liquid out of baby's lungs. It doesn't happen with a c-section, so c-section babies are more likely to have some breathing issues right after birth until the fluid is out.

So, I wouldn't recommend anyone elect to have a c-section unless medically necessary (this is just my opinion, of course).

It's one of those things where I think you need to look at the risks of either procedure and weigh them yourself - write down the pros and cons and think about what you can and can't live with if the worst case scenarios happen.

October 6th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeunicorn View Post
Also, when you give birth vaginally, that squeezes liquid out of baby's lungs. It doesn't happen with a c-section, so c-section babies are more likely to have some breathing issues right after birth until the fluid is out.
this is true. i wouldn't elect to have one just for the sake of avoiding vaginal, though she has a really good reason/traumatic experience with her first vaginal delivery so i understand.

there are enough stories on both sides to ultimately say it's your call. i seriously think you should try that perineal massage. it really might help you. but if you think you'll mentally shut down/tighten up, i'd go for the c/s bc you'll end up there anyway.
Txmom4 likes this.

Introducing the Minis

October 6th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've only had vag deliveries, but I imagine even a traumatic one is better than a major abdominal surgery!
October 6th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had 2 unmedicated childbirths and then one induction that led to a c-section. I would take natural childbirth over a c-section recovery any day of the week. It was miserable for me, starting with the pulling/pushing/lightheaded/nauseus feelings from the c-section itself. I can remember not even wanting to hold Logan as they were handing him to me while still on the table, because I felt like I would drop him. I barely remember that whole first day because of the pain meds and the pain itself. In fact, I felt like the whole first few days were a complete blur. He was my only baby that I sent to the nursery while I was in the hospital. I could barely get out of bed to pick him up to nurse him and it was just easier overnight to have the nurses bring him to me. The pain was unbearable for weeks for me. You can't drive for about 2 weeks or so after a c-section, and to do anything that involves using your abdominal muscles is sore to say the least.

Oh and I forgot about the gas pains...miserable!!! My gas pains radiated up to my shoulder and chest area, and I swear I was about convinced I was having a heart attack or had a blood clot from the surgery. And then to add embarrassment to the pain, I had to have a nurse give me a suppository to help with passing gas. Trying to get things moving after a c-section is very difficult.

Ugh, I really hope I get my VBAC this time! All of this is bringing up some very bad memories for me

Last edited by smileymom03; October 6th, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
October 6th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've only had bag deliveries. I have been cut with three of my 4. My first I got cut and still tore. Ive had two pretty transfixed births. But by far my 37 weeker was the worst. He tore my cervix in multiple spots. I had to be stitched up hours later from it. With my other 3 kids i was walking aroumd within an hour of having them. You couldnt even tell i just gave birth. With wyatt i had a lot of bleeding problems and pain. So I wasn't walking much with out help that day. But as far as recovery no real problems at all. I get bad and i mean bad depression in the hospital. So except for my 37 weeker i left the next day with each one. With wyatt it was a couple days. But i walked of the hospital each time. No wheel chair.

I have to have a c section this time and I tell you what i have already begged the doctor to let me go vaginally. Its not an option for me

October 6th, 2013, 02:48 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Never had a c-sec, but did have a bad epesiotomy the first time. I sat on a cushion for about 6wks, lots of "witch hazel" down there to soothe it and lots of medicated cream as well. He was 9lbs and my first. After him, I never got cut that bad, but did have some smaller ones with a few. Most of the time, I appreciated it if it would just "tear" naturally. The tearing naturally was a much easier time healing for me.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

October 6th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Because I've only had C sections I will explain that C sections affect everyone differently and it really depends on the persons pain tolerance.

I honestly didn't have much trouble at all with my recovery. The things I don't like are numbness at the site, I have the apron/pooch thing and I already was built like that, now it's tucked. The more I walked, the better I felt.

As long as you're not over doing it and listening to your body, your recovery will go well.
October 7th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just can't imagine choosing a c-section unless it was a medical necessity. I don't want to be gutted!
October 7th, 2013, 07:42 AM
hotpinkheels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ook, so after reading this, I have decided that I would like to go the old fashioned route and have the stork drop baby off on my front step.

Great.
October 7th, 2013, 07:55 AM
AmyKC12's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is such a tough topic for me. Obviously I am a FTM so have no experience. But it is stressing me out how this baby is going to come out!!! I hear some C-section horror stories and others that went well. Ive also heard Pitocin is the devil but last night, my best friend said she didn't think it was so bad. And I question if I can handle a natural birth. I'm just so scared about the whole thing.... I am going to ask my DH to hit me in the head with a frying pan and knock me out till its over.
FairyDustMom likes this.
October 7th, 2013, 09:57 AM
FairyDustMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lol Amy..
I agree I wish we could be out to sleep and woken up with baby in our arms.. Bet in 50 years or so as technology improves our birthing methods will be considered old school
Reading these posts and gathering info online I have decided to take a very difficult vaginal birth over c section. I am really nervous of being cut there after already being cut down there .. Unless necessessary.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search