maternity leave

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2013, 07:08 PM
ducksaresnazzy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i think i decided my maternity leave plan. i have a very strong feeling (i would bet cash money on this) that she's coming the 23rd. my due date's the 26th. the doctor won't let her stay in past the 5th of december. so, my plan is to tell my boss that my last day is the 18th, and to keep me on call, but off the main schedule. i ran this by Nate and my mom who both agreed, but they also want me to stop working like, tomorrow. so i was just making sure this was reasonable? i've never had maternity leave and my boss pretty much left it up to me to decide when i leave and come back (which will depend on my recovery and how Eve is as a baby, if she's clingy and colicky i will take longer to come back). it would leave me a week or two pre-baby to nest and relax, and about a month post-baby if i went by the standard (???) six weeks.
October 21st, 2013, 07:20 PM
Veteran
I am not sure the doc will give you the green light to return to work until after you are cleared at your 6 week follow up .. At least that is what I always thought .. I have heard people say they have gone back sooner so that may not be accurate .. If it were me I would take at least 6 weeks post baby .. Taking time off before sounds really great if you can ! I would love to do that !

Mom to 3 and an angel

Tristan 4/96
Jack 9/10
Katie 11/13

October 21st, 2013, 07:28 PM
he's afraid i'll go into labor while i'm there so the before-leave was his idea .-. i either work alone, or during busy rushes, which are not the best times for labor to happen.
October 21st, 2013, 08:57 PM
FairyDustMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took a week off before I was due with DD and ended up going past my due date waiting three weeks!
This time am working until the end so I can take maximum maternity while baby is here.
Depends how you feel. If your job has a lot is standing moving around and stress then I think you should take time off to get some rest sounds like a good plan going a bit earlier- as you mentioned the conditions are not ideal there( heat etc)
October 22nd, 2013, 06:15 AM
HappyBabyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I had the opportunity to take time off before baby comes I would definitely take it! I have to work until the day I go into labor I already can't stand being at work!!

October 22nd, 2013, 06:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I worked up until I had her with my first and plan to with this one too. If there is a chance you'll be alone at work with no one to cover you then I can totally understand you taking off before. That would make me nervous!
October 22nd, 2013, 07:39 AM
MakeupMommy3's Avatar Super Mommy
I am taking off about two weeks before. This friday is my last day of work. Physically my job isn't demanding, because I sit all day but mentally its draining and I am just done. I have a small advantage because my job offers 6 weeks maternity and 6 weeks parental bonding for a total of 12 weeks so I can easily take off before and still have a good amount of time for after baby. If it didn't, I would work until the day. But in your case, I would say a few days or maybe even a week is reasonable. Especially if you have the flexibility of when you'll go back after Eve comes. You don't want to chance being alone or working a rush hour shift and then something happens.
October 22nd, 2013, 08:06 AM
slp2012's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am working until the day I go into labor, but like the other ladies said that are doing this I don't have an extremely physical job. I would also worry that I would go late and waste time off. But I also have a limited amount of time off. I would say that if you can afford to and it won't hurt the amount of time you can stay home with Eve, then go for it.
TTC #2
October 22nd, 2013, 10:11 AM
Nicole B's Avatar Mega Insane Mommy
With Teegan I was a server and I decided to quit in the middle of my 8th month because it just was not fun. I got REALLY bored at home so I took up a new job processing rebate information. That sucked too but just because it was a thankless job.

After I had Teegan I decided to go back to work after 4 weeks because I felt totally fine and missed adult interaction/working.

So that's just my previous experience! Everyone is different and has to decide what's best for them! This time I have a desk job so I'm working until I go into labor and I'm pretty certain will end up taking 8 weeks off or til the beginning of the new year, whatever comes first.

October 22nd, 2013, 10:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
With my first, I got done teaching about 2 weeks before baby came and I was BORED out of my mind after a day or 2. I took a week off before I ended up having #2, mostly because I was afraid of going into labor while in the middle of watching kids and having to figure out what to do with mine + the other kids and being 45 minutes from home! With #3, I stopped a few days before I went in for the induction.

It doesn't sound very safe that you'd be at a ANY job alone, pregnant or not!
October 22nd, 2013, 10:51 AM
Kris, i do get scared there sometimes.. when guys come in and ask to use our bathroom, i tell them we don't have one, because the bathroom is past the kitchen into the back room and it makes me nervous that i can't see them

my biggest concern with leaving before my actual due date is who my boss is going to replace me with, because he's cutting it pretty close with 2 of us being pregnant 2 months apart, and our manager leaving again.. he's only training one new person.. i know it's not my problem but i'm gonna still worry about it. other than that, i don't think i'll get bored at home, because being home is what i do most of the time anyway.

Kris, i do get scared there sometimes.. when guys come in and ask to use our bathroom, i tell them we don't have one, because the bathroom is past the kitchen into the back room and it makes me nervous that i can't see them

my biggest concern with leaving before my actual due date is who my boss is going to replace me with, because he's cutting it pretty close with 2 of us being pregnant 2 months apart, and our manager leaving again.. he's only training one new person.. i know it's not my problem but i'm gonna still worry about it. other than that, i don't think i'll get bored at home, because being home is what i do most of the time anyway.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search