Space Heaters

Forum: November 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To November 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2013, 07:13 AM
HappyBabyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Winter is coming!

Hubby refuses to turn on any sort of heat in the house in the winter. I am ok with that because I like it cold when I sleep and I like to be under a blanket when I'm watching TV and all that.

My question is, can I get a space heater and use it SAFELY in the nursery? Is there any risk to that? It's probably a dumb question but I just want to make sure.
October 23rd, 2013, 07:30 AM
MakeupMommy3's Avatar Super Mommy
I believe you can if you take the necessary precautions. Not near curtains, secure the cord..things like that. I probably wouldn't run it for too long, just to regulate the temp
October 23rd, 2013, 09:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't feel comfortable using space heaters.
October 23rd, 2013, 09:33 AM
What's bad about them?

Would it be better to just keep the baby bundled up?
October 23rd, 2013, 10:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The fire hazard is just something I am not willing to risk in the house.

Ironically, I have one going in the garage right now so that it would be warm enough for me to paint in there but on a cement floor totally away from everything I am okay with it.

How cold will it be? I'd worry with a preemie, but with a full term baby, they can typically regulate their body temp enough and will let you know if they are cold (by crying) We keep our heat over around 65* when the kids have been babies. Right now we have it at 62* overnight, but I have a feeling we'll do 65* once baby arrives. I dress baby in a onesie, sleeper, and then swaddle and since baby will be itty bitty and not moving around, I may even toss one more blanket over baby's lower half before I get into bed. I know some people worry about blankets, but when baby is that little, they typically can't break out of a swaddle and be able to move the blanket around.
October 23rd, 2013, 10:27 AM
It doesn't get very cold here, I think it might get into the 40's. I think hubby can deal with the heater at 65 if it gets too cold in the apartment.

I just don't want the baby to be cold, but if I bundle him up good like you said he should probably be okay. I'm just overthinking it lol.
October 23rd, 2013, 01:04 PM
mindyjean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first son was born in the summer so we didn't use one until later with him. My second son was born during a cold spring, so I used a space heater when he was newborn and then every winter since. I mean, sure I know there are things that could go wrong, but I also know to not put it by anything flammable and be very mindful about it. Our winters get very cold in Iowa, so it's something I definitely plan to use with this baby--especially when I get up to nurse him in the middle of the night! There's nothing worse than cold nipples when trying to latch on! LOL

Cycle #1: Antagonist protocol. 150 mL of bravelle and menopur for 8 days. Added ganirelix 2 days before ER and triggered with lupron and pregnyl.

13 eggs retrieved, 10 mature, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 2 made it to day 6, both abnormals. No transfer.

We will cycle again-stims start September 6, 2014!
October 23rd, 2013, 08:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't use a space heater. I've had a cord melt right near the unit. Too risky. I think a sleeper and swaddled would be enough. If you have a ceiling fan you could turn it on the low reverse cycle to move the warm air down.
October 23rd, 2013, 08:40 PM
BlessednHighlyFavored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
what kris said

My Ovulation Chart

I'm doing natural family planning

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search