Carah Violet

Stories from the Nest

Our Birth Stories

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stories from the Nest LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2013, 12:50 PM
Veteran
My due date was September 13th.

September 10th, I was feeling extra discouraged since my DRs kept saying to pick an induction date. My DH had talked to me and said it was up to me but he would like it if I would pick a day between week 41 and 42, and eventually I agreed. We got dinner at McDonalds (they were giving out free Chiefs car flags that DH "had to have") I got buffalo sauce for my fries and joked that "maybe this will get the baby to come out!" We went to bed. I was supposed to babysit on the 11th from 7am-4pm "unless I went into labor." I had been inserting EPO capsules every night---so I was used to the lovely leaking that those cause. I woke up to pee every few hours and I remember getting up and felt leaky but just attributed it to the EPO...maybe half an hour later I felt more leaky. I thought, "theres no way theres any EPO left to leak!" So, I got up to observe what was going on. I called my DR and told her what was going on and she said to put a pad on and if it got wet then I was probably right. Except, I didn't have pads (procrastination much??) so I improvised with a clean wash rag. This all went down around 4 AM I would say, and DH's alarm is set for 4:30 to get up for work. So I just woke him up around then and told him what was going on and long story short we decided my water was probably broke. So we got our stuff together, DH showered and shaved, I fixed my hair/shaved my legs/etc. Then we left for the hospital--about a 40 minute drive.

We went to triage and the nurse had some issues with the test strips. She said they turned blue like they are supposed to if its your water, but she said she dipped a piece in my urine sample and it turned blue and I was a "connundrum" to her. She had us walk around and retest the strips, etc. Until 8 or 9? Around then, a different nurse came in to start an IV because we were getting admitted (that's how we found out we were being admitted...) she blew my vein and the original nurse ended up getting one started and off to labor and delivery we went. My DR wasn't in but she had told the nurses to go ahead and start pitocin, which I refused. Which I think pissed everyone off, because they more or less stayed away for the next few hours. Around 4 PM a doctor from the office I was going to (the ONE doctor I disliked and said I didn't want to have...) and two nurses came in and checked me (no progress...still 2 cm that I was when I came in and about 70% effaced) I was having contractions every few minutes but they weren't getting stronger and weren't strong enough for me to even feel. The DR told me I HAD to have pitocin. I said, "what about other interventions? Like a foley bulb, or this, or that" (Idk what all I said, but I listed a few) and he told me those weren't options at this point and said "There's no way around it you have to have pitocin. Do you want to take your baby home with you in 2 days or do you want your baby to be in the NICU for a week?" (They were concerned with risk of infection from the ruptured waters.) Clearly he could have been kinder about it, I started crying...they left the room...I talked to Dh and felt frustrated and the nurse came back in and asked if she could start the pitocin and I said "go ahead obviously I don't get to make decisions about my body here." So she did.

Fast forward another 12ish hours, at 4 AM on September 12th. I still had not progressed with the pitocin except maybe a little more effaced. I also was not having painful contractions, in fact I couldn't even feel them. The doctor and new nurse (who was 1000000000000% better than the nurses that were on when I came in) DH and I knew they were coming in to tell us time for a c-section. The doctor checked me, I was 3 cm 80% effaced. He also discovered a foresac by the baby's head that he broke. He also inserted an internal monitor. He checked me again and I was 3ish cm. He said since I had progressed a little bit, and I didn't have a fever, he would wait on a c-section and see what happened with the internal monitor. THEN IT STARTED. I went from sitting in absolutely zero pain, to writhing around in the bed thinking I was going to die. I couldn't think, or breathe, or anything...which, I feel like if it had been more progressive I couldn't dealt with it but it was so sudden that I just was completely out of control. I stuck with my "no pain meds" plan for 2 and a half hours, and then I was begging for the epidural. DH didn't really object much because i think he was overwhelmed by it, I'm pretty good with pain so he's never experienced that. They said I could take stadol or the epidural but my nurse was like "honey just take the epidural you've been at it over 24 hours and you need to get some rest if you want to have the energy to keep doing this." So they came in for the epidural, they checked me right before and I was 4-5ish cm. The epidural was heavenly, I slept like a rock for a couple hours. Next time they checked me I was 6 cm. After that, I started being able to feel contractions. They weren't terrible but eventually got to the point where I DID have to focus/breathe through them (even with the epidural). It hurt but it wasnt unmanageable. I kept telling the nurse that I felt like I REALLY had to pee which freaked me out, because shouldn't i not feel that way since I had a catheter in?? She kept telling me that it was just the pressure from the baby. I think by 1 PM I was 9.5 cm and fully effaced, but I also had a fever. They told me we were going to keep the baby in until I could get two bags of antibiotics through my IV. I did. They told me they would have nurses from NICU in to examine the baby for infection. I started pushing at 2 PM, which wasn't bad. You could already see the babys head before I pushed once, she was LOW for a long time. I pushed for a little over an hour and a half, a doctor I hadn't met came in to deliver and she was born at 3:46 PM. (DH and I both ended up loving the dr that delivered.) Carah surprised everyone and came out sunny side up (and with her legs crossed). She was pink, so they put her on my chest for a few minutes before they took her to her table thingy. She didn't cry when she was on my chest. They took her temp and she also had a fever so they said she did have an infection and took her straight to NICU, DH went with her. I was sad because we didn't get any bonding/breast feeding time.

She was 8 lbs 2.2 ounces and 19.25 inches long.
I rushed myself through the "mandatory 2 hour recovery period." The nurse came in and got me up to go to the bathroom, she told me if I was dizzy to sit down and wait but I went anyway and got through it. She had a wheel chair for me to go up to NICU. The rest of the day is kind of a blur since I didn't get to see her until around 6 PM. She latched on perfectly the first try though.

She was in the NICU our whole stay. On saturday we got news that her blood culture had read negative---which was good, it meant we could go home on Sunday (they wanted to keep her overnight just for observation). Sunday her bilirubin levels came back elevated and the dr decided to keep her for light therapy. They only let us take her out from under the lights every 3 hours, and ONLY for 30 minutes to eat. They also wanted to supplement. So I spent the next day nursing, pumping, sleeping, and crying. They finally let us out Monday afternoon.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search