The long awaited arrival of Miss Phoebe Marie

Stories from the Nest

Our Birth Stories

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stories from the Nest LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Veteran
For such a short labour, this is a long story (my apologies). DH and I had been trying to have a baby for three years. We started when we lived on the East Coast knowing that we would be moving in a couple of years and realizing that we would need as much help from family as possible. After one unsuccessful year, I went to my doctor to determine what our problem was. She conducted routine blood work, all of which was normal except for vitamin D levels, which were three-times lower than they ought to have been. I did a bit of research (I’m a science geek) and found that vitamin D deficiency causes infertility in lab animals, so I supplemented and we tried again. In the meantime, we had a sperm analysis done with ideal results, and our GP referred us to an OBGYN. After three months on supplements, we had our first BFP. We were elated, but our happiness was short-lived as I literally miscarried the next day. When we went to see the OBGYN, we were told that they couldn’t do anything because I was able to get pregnant. We either had to go to a private clinic, which we couldn’t afford, our I needed to have three miscarriages or go an entire year without conceiving. Six months later we had our second BFP, which was not planned and poorly timed as both DH and I were writing our theses, preparing to move to the West Coast, and my father was in the ICU. We also lost this baby after a week. We decided to put off trying until we were established on the West Coast. It’s worth noting that aside from my sister, nobody in our family or circle of friends knew were trying to conceive. At this time everyone I knew, including two of my sisters-in-law (who recently married my brothers-in-law), were getting pregnant, and it was very difficult for me to deal with emotionally. I broke down to my mom. It was so hard to be supportive of my sisters-in-law when I was that much of an emotional wreck, but alas I would be joining them in their journey as I got my BFP when I returned from holidays - sometimes booking a hotel room for New Years Eve is a good idea
This was not an easy pregnancy for me. After you have a few loses, you’re constantly waiting to miscarry again. My doctors realized my concerns and sent me for an ultrasound at 8.5 weeks, which confirmed the pregnancy was viable. Seeing the heart beat melted my heart. However, my worries were worsened with bleeding at 11 and 13 weeks. After two additional ultrasounds to identify the source of the blood, the results confirmed a healthy pregnancy; however, there was almost always a pit of worry in my stomach that something would go wrong. My anatomy scan determined that the reason for my bleeding was that I had placenta previa, which made my pregnancy high risk. My doctors gave me a 5-10% chance that it would move out of the way, so I would have to have a C-section. After several days of crying I came to terms with my condition and walked on eggshells until I reached the ‘viability’ point. At 27 weeks, I lost my plug, began bleeding, and had other bizarre symptoms. After two days at L&D and another ultrasound, my OB told me that the placenta moved out of the way, making me low risk. I was beyond elated. The rest of the pregnancy went off without a hitch. I started having period-like cramps at 36 weeks. These continued until Phoebe was born. I woke up on September 22 (40 weeks 1 day) with cramps, much like previous weeks, except this time they didn’t go away after a few hours. I called my doctor who told me that I should stay home until the contractions came every 3-4 minutes and lasted for 1 minute. I decided to have a nap assuming that they’d stop as they always have. Once I went to bed, the contractions became more frequent and intense, so we decided to go to L&D. This was at 2 pm. When we got there by 3 pm they called my doctor, who came and checked me. I was only 3 cm dilated. She thought I should take a shot of morphine and go home for a bit, have a sleep and come back in. I told her that my mom labored for a very short amount of time and that I wasn’t very interested in leaving, so we decided to walk around for a couple hours, get rechecked, and if I wasn’t at least 4 cm, I’d go home. We decided to grab a coffee at Second Cup. By the time we got to the shop the contractions came every 2 minutes, but were still fairly painless. DH ordered food, and as I sat down to eat my water broke. I went back to be assessed (it was now 6pm) and they checked me. I was 4 cm. I was admitted, and within an hour I was screaming in agony with every contraction, which felt continuous rather than discrete. I was given nitrous oxide, but it didn’t do anything. Every time I looked at DH he had a look of horror on his face. Then I started vomiting with the pain – I was progressing super quickly and they had to rush to get everything together. I felt pressure in my urethra, which was weird, but the nurses said it was because baby was descending. I couldn’t focus on anything but the pain. I told them right away that I wanted a walking epidural, but it took an hour or so to obtain it. I was instantly relieved once I received it and began joking around with the staff. There were many a Monty Python joke – at one point my husband mentioned that they were bringing in the machine that goes ‘ping’. The pressure in my urethra continued but I didn’t think anything of it.
My doctor checked in on me at approximately 10pm. She figured I’d be 6 cm, but I was fully dilated, so they had to rush to finish prepping. It turns out that the pressure I was feeling in my urethra was my version of the urge to push. She passed meconium in utero, so the pediatrician was called in to make sure she was okay. The conclusion was that if she cried at birth I’d get to hold her, otherwise she’d have to go right to the pediatrician. I started with practice pushing, and was trying to not push too hard since I didn’t want to tear, and I wanted my doctor to be ready. She was descending very quickly, so they rushed to get everything ready, but they kept losing her heartbeat. We decided to do internal monitoring because I was still worried about something happening to her – I’m very happy we decided to do this, because her heart rate dropped with each contraction. I pushed through three contractions at which point her heart rate dropped to 50 beats per minute. We were all very worried, and my doctor told me that she’d have to use the vacuum if she didn’t come out in the next push. I REALLY didn’t want to use a vacuum or forceps, so my response to her was “challenge accepted!” I pushed with everything I had in me and she popped out in her entirety in one push, screaming like a demon. She was 6 lbs, 6 oz and 19" long. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. DH looked at her and cried, and I laughed hysterically. I was so happy and instantly in love with her. I passed the placenta and felt immediate relief, and the pediatrician did a quick check of her and she was perfect, so I got to hold her again. Her presence distracted me from the work the doctors were doing on me. It turns out I actually had a postpartum hemorrhage, which my doctor figured was due to my previa. I lost 1L of blood, and had to have my uterus scraped by several people, which felt fabulous (insert eye roll here). My doctor injected my thigh with oxytocin and hooked up an IV with oxy to try to get rid of the retained placenta. If I didn’t have such high hemoglobin reserves I would have had to have a blood transfusion. The delivery room looked like a murder scene. Three external and four internal stitches later I was good to go. They kept me for two days to make sure my hemorrhage didn’t return. After a rough start we’re finally starting to get into a groove. It’s tough work, but she’s worth it!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by littlecatlady; October 7th, 2013 at 12:16 PM.
September 30th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Badass
That sucks about haemorrhage but I'm glad that everything else seemed to go all right! Can't believe how many ladies in our DDC managed to get their babies out with only a few pushes, you got some good muscles there!

On a side note you have put me in the mood to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail now... But Peyton won't sleep through it though, I just know it D:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search