Irelyn..... Home Birth

Stories from the Nest

Our Birth Stories

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stories from the Nest LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2013, 01:44 PM
estherm's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Irelyn Marie

Sunday Oct 6, 2013
10 days "late"

3:00 pm Here it goes again, false labor. Timeable contractions about 10 -15 min apart… This went on all afternoon until bedtime, just like most evenings for the past 3 weeks.. They always quit once I fell asleep.. This time, I woke up after 1.5 hours and… hmm they were still there.. After half hour I fell asleep again.. At around
4:00 am I woke up again.. still going… little stronger.. So I hopped in the bath to see if they quit.. But they continued on.

I was pretty sure at this point it was the "real deal" I was hoping they would stay calm until 7:30 so I could get my oldest on the bus and Grandma could pick up my youngest at a decent hour At 7:00 am I called Grandma and said today is likely the day so once A wakes up I will call you and get you to come pick him up… I texted her later and said to come at 8:30 regardless and I would have him ready.. ( or rather hubby would

At this time I also got a hold of my sister who was going to be with us during the birth and labor. She arrived around 9:30 armed with muffins and hot chocolate from Tim Hortons, ingredients for soup, and crochet supplies for baby blankets.. She also came bearing a little baby outfit for motivation, and two finished baby blankets.. ( I was very spoiled.. ) We hung out for around an hour or so while she made soup.. Then she asked if I had a birth ball which I didn't so she left for about an hour or so to get hers.. ( Glad she did because later on I used it a lot! While she was gone I talked to hubby and kind of struggled with the fact I felt I was wasting everyones time… Was it real why wasn't it picking up.. I felt bad my sis was doing all this and nothing was really going.. When she returned I am not 100% how long she stayed but likely close to lunch time and I expressed how I felt I was wasting her time.. She of course so no no.. lol but I still felt it.. Also at this time midwives had driven about 1/2 hour from their homes and and were waiting in the office for my call as they expected as did I that I would go fast….. so I felt bad about that too.. lol

The midwives suggest around noon that I have a nap as it happens when you are tired things stall out until you have rest.. So my sis left.. Hubby and I had a glorious nap and when I woke up 1.5 hours later I was like " CRAP" it did quit.. What a joke.. And BAM yup a decent contraction.. phewwwww.. I am not loosing it.. haha
So we got out of bed in the gorgeous fall sunshine, it was a blustery day ( my fave) leaves whipping around everywhere, and had delicious soup which my sister had made and a crusty roll with cheese.. I pigged out During lunch we decided to go to the library and return some overdue books and walk around a lake that is about 15 min away..
I hauled my huge belly into hubbys HIGH truck ( real cute) and we set off..
Library was closed. .so we went to the lake..
It was sooooo windy by the water..lol.. While walking around contractions may have gotten a bit stronger but not really closer.. still mostly 10 min apart with a few 15 min apart… I was frustrated.. It had been 24 hours..
On the way home I called the midwife who had returned home at this time. and she said a few reasons why it may not be progressing but her thought was positioning of the baby.. She suggested to not do things to really kick labor into gear like nipple stim or lots of walking as it would be better to get her into a good position first.. I was getting down during the convo but just at the end she said I suspect you will be holding your baby today.. It was already 3:00pm.. I got off the phone and told hubby I Was confused…. lol

So we got home… Got out the birth ball and I laboured over it on table while watching Heartland and we started another movie.. Contracts did quickly get stronger and consistently 10 min apart… I had to work through them, and many of them felt like horrible intense gas pains.. ( never had that before..)
Halfway through the second movie we noticed my sons blankie was still at home so hubby decided to go deliver it before things went too far.. Once he left I started listening to my birth place list.. He was gone around 45 min.. During that time they started to creep closer and were pretty strong… At around 6:45 I called the midwife and said they were starting to get closer and stronger for sure… She said oh call me in 1/2 hour if they stay around 5-6 min apart.. I personally felt "here it comes" but didn't feel convinced enough to tell her to get her butt down here.. lol.. Hubby walked in as I hung up..

Then the clean out poops started… and things really kicked up… It was not fun.. Running to the bathroom with each contraction.. Not sure if I had to go.. if it was baby.. or this just sucked!! lol After about 10 minutes of this I begged hubby to shut off the stupid music and to call the midwife…. Contractions were 3-4 min apart and no fun at all.. She arrived around 7:10 and immediately started setting up and hubby was almost done filling the birth pool.. The last contractions I timed before I lost it.. were 2 min apart.

She said I could hop in the pool.. I really wanted to but was scared to crap in it.. LOL.. so I waited 2 contracts and since I didn't have to run to the can I thought I would be safe.. ( Thankfully it was all good

Now I was not in the pool long before she was born and it was brutal and intense. but I did feel a lot of relief from the water but unfortunately it just coincided with transition and a major ramping up of contractions… I never got the relaxing leaning back and calmly labouring.. Oh no.. It was more of a flopping fish being rather loud.!!
The midwife said she could check me in the pool so I could hop right in.. She did attempt to check me but was concerned about what she felt so I had to get on the bed so she could check me properly.. She asked me if it was a boy or a girl and said she was concerned it may be breech as she felt was was maybe a scrotum.. I said no its a girl.. She said Good So I hobbled to the bed.. She checked and said all was well.. I was a stretchy 7 but baby was still high…
All of this left me emotionally horrified… First the thoughts of rushing to a hospital with a breech baby while labouring so intensely was just beyond me.. As well as her saying that baby was high.. I felt I had soooooo far to go yet..
I got into the pool and began pushing with each contraction.. Midwife said to listen to my body and that I was allowed to push if I needed too..
It felt unproductive.. after a few contractions so in reality only 5-7 minutes of this I felt like I was loosing it… I shouted I wanted to go to the hospital and the midwife kindly told me I could if I wanted to.. LOL Then I pushed like I meant it on the next contrax and I literally felt her rocket down from in the womb to head at my perineum.. It hurt but **** I was actually doing something now.. LOL.. I shouted her head is there.. So they felt and said its her waters.. I was like seriously.. that was only her waters and I still have to get her down??? Aahhh!.. And then .. No no her head is right there too.. Then next contrax I bore down and delivered her head… I was ready to be DONE!!.. Yup the ring of fire was present but not that bad.. I remember thinking her head felt small..??? Couldn't be born already .. in the same contrax I delivered her in her beautiful entirety. While lifting her up her cord snapped.. The midwife grabbed her end of the cord and mine and quickly clamped.. Unfortunately no delayed cord clamping for us..
The cord ended up being very short approx a foot long.

I remained in the pool for about 5 minutes. The placenta was delivered very quickly after the birth. I was in quite a bit of pain after the birth as my legs and bottom were cramping/spasms, it was very strange..After the birth I was stunned.. and had the most random thoughts running through my head while I held her…

I was moved to the bed where I lay quietly beside my husband while he held our precious girl. I remained kind of out of it for around 45 min before I began to bond and really be "into my baby". My thoughts are the birth happened so fast that the hormones could not keep up.. So the bonding hormones were a bit delayed.. Once they And the tylenol kicked in I was good .. I was peaceful and happy snuggling my baby.. In my own bed with my hubby beaming beside me

Thank you Jaidensmum!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search