Introducing Ingrid May

Sugar Babies

Birth Stories

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Sugar Babies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2013, 12:28 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I should probably write up Ingrid's story here before I forget- given that she hits 1 month tomorrow, yikes!

Having a planned c-section is really quite a bizarre way to give birth. My husband noted that it was really kind of the same mentality as having a dentist appointment, just with a higher level of excitement for the end result. I had gone to work the prior day, April 1, and worked until 5:45 to wrap things up to my liking then went home and made a silly 'breakfast for dinner' meal for the family for April Fools. I slept great that night- totally carefree. The next day, April 2, my in-laws came over around 9 and the hubs and I headed to the hospital around 9:45 to be there by 10.

We checked in at the security desk, took the elevator, and promptly forgot which side to check in on, ha! We got to our right room and did the admission survey, met a few people that would be involved (my OB, the student docs, the student anesthesia people, nurses, etc) and hung around waiting for noon, my scheduled surgery time. I was SO thirsty since I had been off food since midnight and off liquids since 5 or 6 AM. Otherwise, I was just eager to get the show on the road, but not nervous.

Around noon they brought me in to the OR. I sat on the table and noted that one of my current favorite songs, "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons, was on a radio in the room. There was a cast of thousands in the room- probably a solid 10-12, which grew to almost 20 by the time surgery was done! Eventually they were ready to do my spinal.

One of the student anesthesiologists starts to prep my back and gives me the initial numbing meds. She asks me to bend over to do the spinal. That was the worst part because my legs were over the edge of the table and I couldn't get a good bend. For my last c/s, my legs were crossed on the table and I was able to really stretch. I don't wonder if my inability to get hunched over affected the issues I had next.

So I get laid down and we wait for the numbing stuff to work. They start to prep my belly with the iodine wash. I comment to the nurse that "brrr, that's chilly!" She says, "It's cold?" "Yeah, especially in this cold room." "Um, you should feel that I'm touching you, but you can tell that it's cold?" "Uh, yes?" She keeps going but clearly people are taking note of my comments.

We get to the point of them checking to make sure I'm good to go. I get pinched by my OB on my upper belly. "Ouch! That hurt." Anesthesiologist says "You should feel pressure and that you are being touched, but it shouldn't hurt. Are you sure it hurts?" "Yes, it hurt." "Ok, we'll wait a little longer." We hang out and I tell them where I feel numb and they move the table to different angles ot try to get the meds flowing to where we need them. "Ok Erika, we're going to test again. <another pinch> What does that feel like?" "Ow, it feels like someone is pinching me. Enthusiastically!" (from over the curtain, my OB laughs and says "sorry!")

It is clear that the meds are not working eough. We wait a little more, but nothing really changes. The non-student anesthesiologist comes over and says that we can either try an epidural that they can adjust as needed to see if that will cover off the rest of the pain, or we can do general anesthesia where I'm knocked out. I tell him firmly that I do NOT want to be knocked out- do the epidural. This is where it gets fun/funny because I'm numbish from the waist down and can't really move my legs to curl up. So the nurse in charge had to "shrimp" me up into a ball on my lower half while I tried to curl up my top half, all while laying sideways on the table with my butt and girly bits just out in the cool air. Humbling, to say the least. I have my head on the stupid blood pressure cuff which keeps inflating and getting angry that I'm using it as a pillow, but I have nowhere else to put my head!

They get the epidural in. We wait a little bit. We do the pinch test. "That feels like someone is touching me, but no pain." We poke around a little more and it is determined I won't be screaming bloody murder when the knife shows up now! They RE-prep my belly with the iodine, and this time it feels like a lovely massage of sorts- so much better.

All of this has taken a solid hour- time flies when you're having fun! My husband is finally allowed in and they start surgery. I get some meds for nausea (boy they worked fast and wonderfully!) and the pressure was not as bad on my body as it was with my son- it barely hurt at all. I think they had to use the vacuum to get Baby down far enough to grab him/her. Next thing we know, my OB is calling for the camera to be ready for the big gender reveal photo op! She holds baby up and....

it's a girl! A girl with a great set of lungs! April 2, 2013, 2:32 PM (I think? Ha!), 6 lbs 1 oz, 20" long. They whisk her off for cleaning, weighing and all that jazz. This time DH knows to go right over with baby and I can see on the other side of the room what they are doing. My arms were free and I was so ready to hold my little girl.

They brought her over and while the surgical team wrapped up my insides, I got to have sweet time under the sheet with Ingrid.

After that, it was off to recovery where we did some good initial nursing and let the grandparents know everything went well and we were out of the OR. My recovery went fast- once my toes moved I could move upstairs to the Mother-Baby unit- but it took a while to get paperwork and administrative nonsense taken care of. Once we were ok'ed to move, we told the grandparents and big brother to come on over to meet the new family member. They arrived shortly and learned it was a girl once they came into the room.

The rest of our time was spent mostly without Ingrid since it was discovered the next morning she was jaundiced and immediately went under the lights except for feedings. I was technically discharged a day before her since I was all set, but I got to stay since I was the food source. We went in on Tuesday mid morning and left Saturday evening. All in all, a total success!

May 1st, 2013, 01:26 PM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
That is an incredible smile!

May 1st, 2013, 04:54 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Cute little smirk!! Isn't it amazing how fast time goes when they're here??

May 1st, 2013, 09:01 PM
iCathy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lurking...but had to add how beautiful your daughter is!!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my sweet siggy!!

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 1st, 2013, 11:17 PM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing! What a cutie and you look beautiful holding her! (I cried before and during my C-section and in my pics I have mascara all over my face, ugh!!)
May 1st, 2013, 11:53 PM
Regular
I am sad they wouldn't let me take pictures during my cs. Idk if it was bc it wasn't a planned cs or what but I wish I had pictures Congrats! the baby is so cute!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search