Ethan William's birth story

Sugar Babies

Birth Stories

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sarahlorrain

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Sugar Babies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2013, 08:48 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was originally scheduled to go to L&D on May 1st at 8 p.m. for an induction. I didn't really want an induction, but I was full term and both my doctor and my baby sitters were going out of town on Friday! I had seen my doctor earlier in the day to sign some forms he'd forgotten to have me sign, and when we spoke, he told me that he planned to give me Cytotec that evening and then break my water in the morning. I thought I remembered someone here saying something about Cytotec so I made a mental note to research it when I got home. When I did that, I decided that I was going to refuse that medication and would rather have Cervidil so I called L&D to let them know ahead of time. They told me that they would let my doctor know, but that they may not even have room for me that evening but that they would call later and let me know for sure.

A few hours later they did call to let me know that they didn't have room for an induction so unless I went into labor on my own I couldn't come in and to just wait for them to call as soon as they had a room for me. They also said my doctor was ok with my decision about the Cytotec.

I got a call at 9:30 pm and they said to come in the next morning at 7:30 and my doctor would break my water.

I got to L&D right at 7:30 in the morning and they got me admitted, hooked up to the monitors, put in my saline lock, etc. I was already having contractions about every 8 minutes, but that was pretty normal for me for the entire past week. My husband got there around 8:30 (he had to wait for my uncle and aunt to come watch the kids). My doctor came in at 9 a.m. to break my water. I was already dilated to 3 cm which was good; I had been at 2 cm at my appointment on April 30.

I was told to alternate between walking the halls and coming back to my room for monitoring. I also had to stay in my room on occasion for my antibiotics because I was GBS+. Nothing happened much for most of the day. My nurse checked me at 8:30 p.m. and I was only at 4 cm. I had dilated only 1 cm in 11.5 hours! I wasn't too worried about it because my labor with my last baby had followed this pattern - not much happened all day and then progressed rapidly at the end.

I got up to walk again at 8:40 or so. I was able to walk the hallway in front of L&D, and then an adjacent hallway that went to the cafeteria. So I was walking a big L shape back and forth, over and over. Imagine the cafeteria is at the top of the L, and L&D is in the middle of the bottom of the L. We made it to the cafeteria for dh to get some coffee and I had a contraction that was stronger than what I'd been having before. We head back down the way we'd came and I had another contraction, this time I had to stop walking. Getting exciting now! Try to walk some more and another contraction hit me, this time I had to lean on dh to get through it. So we decide to go back to our room and see what happens. I didn't want to deliver in the hallway! I knew from previous experience that once the baby is ready to come out I don't get much warning.

I got back in bed at about 9 p.m. and the nurse hooked me up for my 3rd dose of antibiotics. I labored in bed on my side for a while. Contractions were every 3 minutes and very painful. I could do nothing but hum through them and just try to get through the pain. I found holding a cold washcloth on my head helped. At one point I felt like something was changing so I asked to be checked. This was at 9:30 p.m. and I was at 6 cm. The nurse called my doctor to let him know I was making progress.

I was feeling so much pressure and pain in my bottom the nurse suggested that I get on my hands and knees to try to change the baby's position a bit. I decided to wait to try that until my antibiotics were done. I hate trying to move around hooked up to that IV. After she disconnected the IV, the first thing I did was get up and use the restroom. I got back in bed and got on my hands and knees. I had a little contraction that didn't hurt and I was thinking "Oh, this is easy, I can do this." Well, about 20 seconds later another contraction hit me and it hurt like hell! I said "No, no this isn't working, help me lay back down." So dh and the nurse helped me lay back down and I immediately felt the baby start to move down the birth canal. I said "The baby is coming!!" The nurse looked at me like I was crazy. I'm sure she didn't believe me, but dh lifted one of my legs and said "Yep! He's coming!" She raced out of the room, called the doctor, yelled at the other nurses to come help, raced back in and started getting everything ready to deliver. I just laid there and tried to keep from pushing until they were ready but it didn't really matter, my body was doing it anyway. The head was about halfway out when my doctor came in. I have no idea where he was because I didn't think he could get there that fast. I guess he was determined not to miss it this time (he missed the birth of my last baby; the nurse delivered him and another doctor delivered the placenta). I just had to give a little push and he came out at 10:07 p.m. They did everything I requested, let the cord stop pulsating before cutting, let us have skin to skin time and breastfeed before taking him from me, etc. It was great. I laid there with him and he nursed for 80 minutes straight before I asked that they take him so I could shower. I was determined to get a shower as soon as possible this time! I took a shower while dh stayed with him.

Since I didn't get the cervidil, I was able to have a completely drug free labor and delivery (with the exception of the antibiotics of course) again. I've done it twice now and even though it's so painful I definitely prefer it to having pitocin/epidural/etc.

Ethan was 8 lbs 1 oz and 19.5 inches long. He is a really good baby; just eats and sleeps.

I also did want to mention - when I finally did get to the hospital and was in labor, my nurse came into my room to tell me that she was proud of me for refusing the Cytotec and she completely agrees with me that it's not worth the risk!

I have to take him back this weekend to have the hearing test redone. They discharged me a little early - 23 hours after birth - so they thought that might be why he wasn't passing it yet. I'm not worried about it. I also got the pulse ox test done. Nobody argued with me about it or anything. He was at 98% so everything good there!

He's nursing very well. My milk started coming yesterday evening so I'm in a lot of pain today but I know it won't last long. My husband came into the bedroom this morning when I woke up and started talking to me, glanced at my chest (I sleep without a shirt since we co sleep) and goes "OMG!! Look at your boobs! They're huge! We need to take a picture!" Too funny!

Two of my other kids had a cold when Ethan was born; they are much better now but now my 3 year old and I both seem to have caught it. I have a homemade cough/cold medicine recipe that's safe for nursing/etc. I also used it when I was pregnant and it seems to work pretty well. I'm going to mix up some of that today for me to take and see if I can nip this in the bud before I get too sick or Ethan gets sick.

Anyway, here is a picture of Ethan taken the day after he was born.
*Anya* and HalfDozen like this.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com

Last edited by sarahlorrain; May 6th, 2013 at 08:53 AM.
May 6th, 2013, 11:43 AM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh he is cute!! Another fast delivery... These babies have been anxious to get here! Congrats.

May 6th, 2013, 12:49 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aw he's adorable. Congrats on the natural delivery!
May 10th, 2013, 11:35 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Congratulations!! He's adorable!!! I've always felt that I could do a natural delivery if I didn't have to have pitocin every time. My body just doesn't like to do what it's supposed to. I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself since I went natural twice, even with having the pitocin.

Good job, mama!!!

May 10th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! I too had a natural delivery, not by choice, but because I delivered within an hour of my water breaking after having no contractions until my water broke! Great Job! Our bodies do get in gear when they need to! For the most part, anyway! Glad you are recovering well! He is precious!
May 10th, 2013, 03:16 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Love it! and good for you for refusing cytotec congrats!
June 4th, 2013, 06:34 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He's such a handsome little guy! I would have refused the Cytotec too...it scares me! Anyway, congrats again!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search